Crackling Noise while playing layered Sounds (Windows)

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Crackling Noise while playing layered Sounds (Windows)

Postby digityp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi,

I wanna use Sampletank for live Performance via midi by using a Yamaha DX7 iid as a Midi Controller (which can only send on one Midi Channel) . I wanna layer several Sounds (by setting every Sound on Midi Channel 1) using a Midi fader Controller for Volume, mute and solo Control.

Everthing works fine. But i can only layer 3 Sounds in Sample tank. When i layer more Sounds my Computer does crackling Sounds and cut the Sound while playing the Keyboard.

I am not sure what the Problem is. I thought my CPU has not enough Power or i need more RAM. But i bought a new Notebook i7 core with 32 RAM. Windows 10. But the Problem still exist.

What could be the Problem? Any Idea?
digityp

Re: Crackling Noise while playing layered Sounds (Windows)

Postby digityp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Sorry 8 GB RAM not 32
digityp

Postby ben.martin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:33 am

ASIO driver settings?

By the way, Windows 10 is not so great for VSTi /ASIO music production.
I still using Windows 7 64Bits.
I already tried Windows 10 and resulted in lot of drop-outs, cracks and noises from the ASIO driver.
ben.martin

Postby digityp » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:54 am

Yeah i use asio Driver. Windows Driver also has these crackling and cuts. So i can do some Experiments with the asio settings, but i think i have to change the OS at least.
digityp

Postby digityp » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:55 am

Thanks ben. i let everyone know, what the solution is.
digityp

Postby digityp » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:51 am

OK, i adjust the Asio configuration, and it is a little bit better now... But unfortunatly it's still there. So must be a Windiws10 problem. Now i go for an external soundcart and hope to find a solution.
digityp

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:14 pm

ben.martin wrote:ASIO driver settings?

By the way, Windows 10 is not so great for VSTi /ASIO music production.
I still using Windows 7 64Bits.
I already tried Windows 10 and resulted in lot of drop-outs, cracks and noises from the ASIO driver.

Windows 10 is great for VSTi / ASIO music production. I have multiple flawless systems (anywhere from a meager Surface Pro to a 24-core/96GB RAM workstation) running Windows 10 with very heavy projects. This is a myth.

However, running without a proper ASIO audio interface will likely create issues like OP is having so yes they should use a real ASIO audio interface for music production as that is best practice.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby digityp » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:11 pm

Can you recommend a Interface for traveling? As a live musician I wanted to use Sampletank on my Laptop connected by usb cable to my Midi Controller Keyboard via midi.
digityp

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:27 pm

digityp wrote:Can you recommend a Interface for traveling? As a live musician I wanted to use Sampletank on my Laptop connected by usb cable to my Midi Controller Keyboard via midi.

Since you already have a controller (otherwise I'd suggest iRig Keys I/O that is a controller and audio interface) I'd suggest something from https://www.ikmultimedia.com/interfaces like iRig Pro I/O for a single input (since you don't seem to be needing multiple input instrument recording) or if you do need more input iRig Pro Duo I/O is great. You could even use iRig Stream as an audio interface as it is very small.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby digityp » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:47 pm

OK thanks. I try the 99€ Stream.
I Just wanna Play the Sounds of Sampletank live on Gigs using a Dx7 ii D as a Midi Controller which send only on Midi Channel 1. I layer 8 Sounds on Midi Channel 1 in Sampletank and controle the Sounds by using a second Korg nano fader Controller to select (solo)
or adjust Volume (fader) of the layered Patches. I thought it was the CPU or RAM, which were struggling with my fast Play on the Keyboard to trigger all the sounds simultaneously. But if this could be the solution that would be great.
digityp

Postby digityp » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi,

I borowed a UR22 MKII Steinberg Asio Audio-Interface. Using it as Midi in and audio Out.
I did the configuration in Sampletank, did the right adjustments in 'streaming" ("preload Buffer and "Buffer multiplier") and still have the same Problem. If i layer more than two Sample in Sampletank by using Midi Channel 1 its still crackling and cuts the Sound when i Play the Keyboard. I even monitored the Computer Performance while playing. RAM, CPU (,i7 core) and SSD did not reached its limits by far.

So, what's going on? I am a little bit lost.

Does anybody has another Idea?
digityp

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:26 pm

digityp wrote:Hi,

I borowed a UR22 MKII Steinberg Asio Audio-Interface. Using it as Midi in and audio Out.
I did the configuration in Sampletank, did the right adjustments in 'streaming" ("preload Buffer and "Buffer multiplier") and still have the same Problem. If i layer more than two Sample in Sampletank by using Midi Channel 1 its still crackling and cuts the Sound when i Play the Keyboard. I even monitored the Computer Performance while playing. RAM, CPU (,i7 core) and SSD did not reached its limits by far.

So, what's going on? I am a little bit lost.

Does anybody has another Idea?

That's not normal behavior and at this point you should open at ticket with IK Support for direct and official technical support from the folks that are there to do so. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support Thanks!
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby digityp » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:55 pm

My Solution is to use cubase and set up several track by using Midi Channel one. Each track has his own sample tank vst instrument. So i can do massive layers without crackling the soiund. Sample tank as standalone seems not to handle several sounds as a layer on one Midi channel.
digityp

Postby DarkStar » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:38 pm

^^^
It would be well worth reporting your findings to Support, to get some comment from the development team on the problematic performance. And maybe a fix for ST4.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Rammy1987 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:08 pm

Hey i am new here.
Sorry for my bad english i am german.

Its an old thread but i want to share my experience today.

I found this thread searching for "crackle noise sample tank"

I bought IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX.
I had crackling flupping somewhat noise with Shipwreck Piano and
other sounds, where lots of samples are used.
It got worse the more notes i played when i used a sustain pedal.

In another forum somebody talked about "playback problems".

I have an Focusrite Scarlett 212 and changed the buffer size from 32 to 128 and the ploblem
was gone.

Maybe this helps for somebody, who is searching like me today.
Rammy1987

Return to General Discussions