Preamp For sm7b

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Preamp For sm7b

Postby 69Busboy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:14 am

[Mod note - moved to a more appropriate forum]

Hey, everybody. I have a question.I looking to improvemy sound without spending more than budget allows. I want buy preamp for Sm7b. I known, Preamplifiers make a significant difference, but still, I don't want to overpay.I've already looked at some options:
Art Tube MPSTV3
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Could you give me some advice? What to choose for me?
Maybe you have some kind of preamplifier and you can write its name?
69Busboy

Re: Preamp For sm7b

Postby garfy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi 69Busboy and welcome to the forum.

I think you may be getting a few things confused here, so I'll try to straighten those out first.

The ART MPSTV3 and the Scarlett 2i2 are different things. The ART is a standalone, tube-driven microphone preamp. The 2i2 is an audio interface (AI) which includes mic preamps. In context they are both mic preamps, but the 2i2 connects to your computer while the ART doesn't (and would need an AI to be recorded into your DAW).

I think perhaps what you're referring to is the fact that the SM7b is renowned for having a fairly low output, even for a dynamic mic, and so needs some sort of gain boost to be properly usable. Some mic preamps on AI can't generate enough gain to keep a clean signal so it is advised to use an in-line preamp, powered by the phantom power coming from the AI to give clean gain to the microphone. The most used/quoted ones are the Cloudlifter and the Triton FETHead.

The ART to which you refer will most probably have enough gain for the SM7b, but it is a tube preamp and designed to deliberately colour the sound of the microphone, whereas the in-line preamps are designed purely to add clean gain.

69Busboy wrote:Preamplifiers make a significant difference,

This is true, although it's not always a good difference. ;)

So, I guess the first question is what are you currently using as an audio interface?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to General Discussions