A Couple General Suggestions for "Modernization"

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

A Couple General Suggestions for "Modernization"

Postby JWParenteau » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:24 pm

Dear IK Team:

Before I address my points, I would like to extend my gratitude and admiration for IK being around and delivering great content at an affordable price.

Here is a bit of information regarding my experience with installation and interaction with the content.

Installation:
After buying a copy to "Total Studio Max 2" I realized how tedious installation is, I cringe at having to do it again after a reformatting my system. I'm aware that there are many alternatives to streamlining the process to bring the content back into my system.

This brings me to the main point I want to address, which is the installers. Installers were a good way to deliver content in the past, although, now it seems a bit dated. With the libraries being so large, we end up with a long and daunting task of running an installer; over and over again. I'm can't remember if they get registered in the Windows "Programs and Features/Uninstall or change a program" list, if they do, it makes for some major congestion.

I've wizened up since the last time I've installed IK content and skip over the installers. I use a program called "Level Zap", that works as a windows context menu to move files out of a folder and deleted the folder that once contained them.

I have bumped into a few "overwrite" issues, as some files seem to be contained in other content folders. I'm not sure if I lost some content in this event.

In contrast to many of the other vendors, most of them have gone with a download manager. The download manager(s) read the sever and download the content, unzip them and install the content the a specified directory. For programs, it downloads the installer zip, unzips it and, runs the installer.

Not sure why IK is still splitting content into multiple zip files, other vendors are just releasing one extra large archive(s). More files take longer than one big file, in my experience.

If bandwidth transfer is a consideration, zips aren't the only archive type. A download manager can be equipped other compression tools and types. I've seen files compressed then compressed again to greatly reduce files sizes. I imagine an download manager can handle all the unzipping in the background.
In the same line of thought, I'm aware compression technology may be proprietary but most patents have expired by now.
Again there is a trade off of what is most efficient, double compression may take longer on the user end.

Authorization:
I find myself wondering if I've properly authorized all my licenses. The "Authorization Manager" works well, although, I can't see what has been properly loaded. As "authorizations" are limited, I'm hoping I'm not wasting two for one authorization.

Some touch points seems dated:
Some of the touch points are not HD/Wide Screen compatible. To name a couple that I've seen are:
this forum
the "Custom Shop" app portal

The header on this forum needs a bit of an update to standard text and/or SVG. I'm aware that most forums and websites don't support wide screen natively.

The "Custom Shop" app portal seems like it's "stuck in time". At a glance all the graphics look SVG or high res, although because it's and app, it seems to ignore Windows scaling settings; so all the text is rendered at 100% and making text tiny. It too, doesn't have any wide screen adaptation.
I do find it useful for seeing what gear I have available to me.

In closing, I thank anyone in advance for consideration. I will also stress that these are not demands and just some of my thoughts. I'm chaotic neutral by nature, so, for me it's "if it's fixed, break it, and fix it again". :D
My installation went smoothly, so far. Although, now my M.2 SSD is full to the point of efficiency (70%). Looks like Miroslav Philharmonik 2 is going to have to be installed on my SSD.
Pureinfotech:Why solid-state drive (SSD) performance slows down as it becomes full

Best regards,
Justin
HP Pavilion dk-0x|256 GB M.2|1TB SSD|1660 Ti|16GB RAM
FL 20|Tracktion Waveform 11|Cubase Pro 10
JWParenteau

Re: A Couple General Suggestions for "Modernization"

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 am

Thank you for your suggestions. Note that we've confirmed that a brand-new download/install/authorization manager is coming.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ikalamazoo » Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 pm

Any prediction of release?
ikalamazoo

Postby Peter_IK » Wed May 06, 2020 10:29 pm

ikalamazoo wrote:Any prediction of release?

I don't have a specific release date but it is currently being developed and we should have some news in the near future.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to General Discussions