Bass Guitar Recording: Brand New User

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Bass Guitar Recording: Brand New User

Postby NomadNJ67 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:58 pm

Hello All!

I am a bass player and just bought the iRig HD2 for virtual recording with my band. My question is what type of sound/amp set-up shoud I use if I'm strictly using the iRig for bass recording? Do I just use the pre-set AmpliTube settings? The only option I'm seeing is a Lead amp. Is that my only choice and if so what adjustments should I make to get a solid bass tone? Or is there a free bass amp I can choose form? Or do I need to purchase a specific bass amp and if so which one? Newbie here so any insight and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!!

Dan
NomadNJ67

Re: Bass Guitar Recording: Brand New User

Postby garfy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Hello Dan and welcome to the forums.

Which platform are you using the iRig HD2 with? PC, MAC or iOS?

Whichever way, you will be able to access a great range of gear that comes as part of the bundled software. But, let us know the platform and we can guide you better.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby NomadNJ67 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Thank you Garfy for your reply! I'm using the iRig HD2 with my iPhone 7 (IOS).
NomadNJ67

Postby garfy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:36 pm

Ok, thanks for coming back with that info.

So, what you'll first need to do is register your iRig HD2 which will then give you access to the software bundles. This is copy/pasted from the IKM FAQs as I don't own that hardware...

For Mobile users: you will receive the upgrade to AmpliTube FULL version gear contents but note this is only in the AmpliTube FREE app. To obtain:

- download AmpliTube FREE for iPhone or iPad from the App Store

- once installed, tap to launch AmpliTube FREE

- within AmpliTube FREE, tap on the MENU icon (3 horizontal bars)

- tap on ACCOUNT to register the app and your iRig HD 2 serial number, following the on-screen steps

There are still additional features and gear in the app available via in-app purchase, if you wish to further expand what the app offers!

For Mac/Windows users: you will receive a copy of AmpliTube 4 for your computer. To obtain:

- register your iRig HD 2 serial number here

- login or create your account

- insert your product serial number in the provided field for 'Serial Number'

- click 'Register'

- once registered, access the User Area here

- upon logging into the User Area, you will receive a pop-up message informing you of the AmpliTube 4 being added to your account along with a serial number and steps to proceed

The basics on your iPhone app centre around the tab icons along the top of the GUI (Tools, Stomp, Amp, Cab, FX) and the currently selected tab is coloured black. For instance, if you are seeing the 'LEAD' preset, this is in the amp section. If you press on the word 'LEAD' a set of shelves (are they shelves?) should drop down giving you a choice of other amps. Press on the 'CAB' tab at the top and an image of a 4x12 cab appears. Press where it says '4x12"A' and another set of shelves appears with different cab choices. If there is a '+' sign next to an amp, cab, stomp etc. it means that you have not purchased or registered them yet.

Even if you haven't registered the iRig and got the upgraded app yet, you should still be able to instantiate the 360 BASS amp and one of the 4x12" or the 1x18" cabs, plus some of the stomps, but it is recommended registering and getting whatever comes with your bundle.

If in doubt, click on the '?' in the top left hand corner and it will overlay some helpful tips on whatever page you're on or click on the Menu icon (top right) and select Help to access the full User Manual.

Hope that all helps to get you started.
garfy

Postby NomadNJ67 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:29 am

Thanks! Much appreciated!
NomadNJ67

Postby garfy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:02 am

No problems.

Let us know if you get any other issues.
garfy

Return to General Discussions