The 5 minute song writing school

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

The 5 minute song writing school

Postby Lincon12 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 am

Hello everyone,,,
I've been thinking a lot about songwriting lately and how to get lyrics out of us and in a form that conveys what we want to say. There is something I haven't seen many people suggest, so here we are.

Find one hour of time when you can shut down your phone, shut down your computer, hang a DND sign on your bedroom door, and be alone with no distractions.

Spend that hour doing nothing but sitting, or laying there, and thinking about whatever you want. But you have to really think about it, and question your thoughts.

Why are you thinking about this?

Why is it important to you?

How does it make you feel?

Do you think anybody else ever feels that way?

What would you say to them?

Do that for 1 hour. Think about things that bother you, things that amaze and move you, observations about showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/ the world. Do it without distractions, and without letting your attention wander like we're so prone to do in 2019.

Then write down your thoughts.

That's my 5 minute song writing school. Take the time to be bored and just think about things. Slow down for an hour, don't be distracted, and force yourself to confront the things that you try to distract yourself from the rest of the time. Acknowledge them, explore them. It's going to be your best stuff for songwriting because it's the stuff that you deeply feel, even if you hate thinking about it, or it drags you down, or maybe it's something that is too beautiful to hold in your mind for long. Get to know it, then write about it.
Lincon12

Return to General Discussions