Recording from a Roland GR 55

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Recording from a Roland GR 55

Postby rohare63 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:19 pm

I am recording from the Headphone out jack on my GR55 with a 1/4" guitar cord into my IPAD using the (basic)iRig interface. If I keep the input levels low I can record Horns with success, but when I try to record guitar strumming, it sounds over driven. I have the amplifiers turned off on the GR55. Any ideas.

Thanks, Bob
rohare63

Re: Recording from a Roland GR 55

Postby garfy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi Bob and welcome to the forums.

I've had no real experience of either of the bits of kit you're using, but I would hazard a guess that it's because the headphone amp is driving the level too hot compared to what the iRig is expecting.

If you want to record clean sounds, have you tried swapping the output on the GR55 to "Guitar Out"? This is probably closer in level to what the iRig is expecting. Alternatively, you could just not use the GK pickup and plug your guitar direct into the iRig using its standard pickup.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby rohare63 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks garfy, I'll try it.
rohare63

Postby James Dee » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:44 pm

Hello Garfy and Rohare,

The gear I have is:

the iRig Pro i/o
Roland GR55
emerald x10 guitar (with onboard midi)
valve amp and Head
iPad mini 4

I'm looking to record guitar-midi sounds into songs in Garageband. I've tried several configurations with the cables but i'm not getting a signal when the 'guitar out" cable is plugged into the iRig. Can you describe your cable set-up please? I just have connected something up incorrectly.

Many thanks,
James
James Dee

Postby garfy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:02 pm

Hello James and welcome to the forum.

As you can see from my previous post I have no experience with the Roland GR55 and am just going off what I see in the online instruction manual and images.

James Dee wrote:I'm looking to record guitar-midi sounds into songs in Garageband

I presume you mean the MIDI sound being generated by the Roland GR55? Would these not come from the the main outputs?
garfy

Postby James Dee » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:58 am

Hello Garfy,

Thanks for your kind welcome to the forum.

Yes, the sounds i'm wanting to record are coming from the main output - the onboard midi on my guitar has 2 outputs (a 13 pin DIN cable for the midi and a 1/4 inch Jack for the hum-bucker). When i want to just use the amp, both leads go from the guitar to the Roland GR55 and then out the back of the Roland (along a single 1/4 inch Jack guitar cable) to the amp. This all works well for just getting sounds from the amp...it also tells me that the cables are working fine and that i'm not about to blow myself up yet.

However, when I essentially replace the amp with the iRig (in the exact same configuration as described above) I can't get a signal.

My logic, albeit probably flawed, tells me that if the amp can get a signal then the iRig should too.

Cheers,
James
James Dee

Postby garfy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:36 pm

James Dee wrote:My logic, albeit probably flawed, tells me that if the amp can get a signal then the iRig should too.

Nope, I reckon your logic is on point. As long as you're also turning the gain up on the iRig Pro I/O then you should be seeing signal.

Have you tried pluging your guitar direct into the iRig Pro I/O? This would confirm that the interface is working and you could then work backwards.

If you have and it is still the case that you can't hear/see signal, in case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-su ... ck=QUICKHW

If these do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form, for direct help from Official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
garfy

Postby James Dee » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:40 pm

Dear Garfy and others,

I have an update.

As you can see from the above thread I have been having problems getting a signal through my Roland GR55 and iRig Pro i/o. I tried replacing cables and all sorts of things to hopefully narrow the problem down. It was narrowed down to a possible faulty/broken iRig so I contacted IK support and they were very good in trying to get the problem solved. They tried everything and came to the conclusion that a replacement iRig (warranty replacement) is the way forward. And...then....something....weird....happened!

What happened? Oh you're all just going to want to strangle me and then choke on your own laughter! Are you ready?

Have you heard of Albert Einstein? Yeah me too. I'm aware of him because his IQ, I can confidently confirm, is the polar opposite of mine.

Here goes!

I changed the flat batteries for new batteries in my iRig and BOOM! It worked!

Yes, folks! There had never been a 'problem' with the iRig. The problem was founded in my assumption that the iRig didn't need battery power - that it drew down its power from the 'mini-din to lightning' or it's equivalent substitute cable (USB to Lightning, for example). Seems that I was wrong! So...there you go! What is it they say about 'assumption being the mother of all ......."?

As a final note - my new found 'success' is based on using my microphone and iRig only. I haven't yet tried it out with the Roland GR55 as i'm away from the studio at the moment, but i'm sure it'll work fine when i get back...or am i assuming again? Anyway, i'll keep you posted on that around the 29th December after testing it with the GR55.

Now.. gotta run, i've got an interview with NASA in a few minutes!

Cheers...and....please learn from my mistake!

James Dee (now known as James's Dee, former MENSA Member)
James Dee

Return to General Discussions