Amplitube as VST for Reaper

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Amplitube as VST for Reaper

Postby Faeryn James Lee » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 pm

I've seen several posts on the subject of using AmpliTube in Reaper 5, so if anyone has figured out the correct process please let me know.
I know where my Amplitube4.dll and Amplitube4.vst3 extension files are located in my PC, but when I try to add them from the preferences window in Reaper, they don't show up.
In other words, they exist, but the window doesn't show them as being there.
And I'm not sure if there's anything else that I need to do for them to show up.
I'm not stupid, just a bit inexperienced as to how to do it.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

AS an aside, AmpliTube works fine as a stand alone, as does Reaper. I'm just wanting these 2 to make friends so I can get some work done.
Faeryn James Lee

Re: Amplitube as VST for Reaper

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 pm

The AmpliTube installer should put the files in the correct directories. As long as Reaper is looking at the installed location, you should have no issue instantiating it. Please note that it is an effect not an instrument, which is sometimes a point of confusion.

If you continue to have issues, I'd recommend opening a ticket with IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support for some one-on-one assistance as there are many using AmpliTube in Reaper without issue so it should work well.

Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Faeryn James Lee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:50 am

Thanks for the reply!
When I try to point Reaper to the correct file, it simply doesn't appear in the list where it should appear.
I'll see if I can get a ticket started. I'm sure its something simple I'm doing wrong or a permissions setting in Windows that's putting up the block.
Thanks for the help!!!
Faeryn James Lee

Postby Faeryn James Lee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:47 am

Faeryn James Lee wrote:I've seen several posts on the subject of using AmpliTube in Reaper 5, so if anyone has figured out the correct process please let me know.
I know where my Amplitube4.dll and Amplitube4.vst3 extension files are located in my PC, but when I try to add them from the preferences window in Reaper, they don't show up.
In other words, they exist, but the window doesn't show them as being there.
And I'm not sure if there's anything else that I need to do for them to show up.
I'm not stupid, just a bit inexperienced as to how to do it.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

AS an aside, AmpliTube works fine as a stand alone, as does Reaper. I'm just wanting these 2 to make friends so I can get some work done.

Okay, after thinking on it for a minute, I realized that I needed to locate where Reaper keeps it's VSTs (what folder) and then add my .dll and vst3 amplitube files into that folder.
In the case of Reaper, it's important to (in the Preferences menu, under VST directories) hit the "clear cache and rescan" button.
This will update the files I added and make them available for use.
Hope this helps some one else.
I knew I needed to move files to a folder, but was just a bit confused at first.
Also, I found a YouTube video from a guy who explains this process perfectly, if anyone is interested in having a look.
It helped me, hope it helps you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CByHPXk3Flw
Faeryn James Lee

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:31 am

The rescan is great advice but you should not have to move any files. I've used Reaper on multiple Windows computers and the installers for our products put the files in the correct folders where Reaper should be searching by default.

Please always use the installers and note that moving the files around afterward may end up leading to more issues down the road.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Faeryn James Lee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:26 am

The files never made it into the standard C:\Plugins folder, I'm thinking because I pointed Reaper to another hard drive.
Had I not done this, they probably would've been there. Really, it's been so many years since I've done any home audio that I simply forgot the procedure.
When I used the files, I just made copies to avert any problems that moving them around would've created.
Amp is working as VSTs now, but they sound like crap, so I'm going to see if I can root out the problem as to why the plugins sound so bad with none of the input or output VU meters clipping.
If you've encountered this before, shoot me some clues to follow up on.
Faeryn James Lee

Return to General Discussions