iRig KEYS becomes first Lightning-compatible music keyboard

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

iRig KEYS becomes first Lightning-compatible music keyboard

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:52 pm

iRig KEYS becomes the first Lightning-compatible music keyboard

New cable allows you to plug iRig KEYS directly into iPhone 5, iPad mini or iPad 4

A lightning cable for iRig® KEYS is now available for purchase from the IK Online Store for only $19.99/€17.99 (excluding taxes). BUY NOW!

iRig KEYS is the universal portable keyboard MIDI controller for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac/PC that lets musicians create, compose and record on the go. Its plug-and-play design features 37 velocity-sensitive mini-keys, pitch-bend and modulation wheels, 5 backlit programming buttons and a volume/data knob. iRig KEYS is Core MIDI and USB class-compliant, so it works straight out of the box with no additional software necessary. It comes with a 30-pin dock-connection cable for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and a USB cable for hooking up to a Mac/PC.

iRig KEYS is the perfect companion for creating music on the go. It comes with iGrand Piano FREE*, a concert quality piano app; SampleTank™ FREE*, a sound and groove module app; and SampleTank L** for Mac/PC.

*Download from the App Store.
**Register and download from the IK Multimedia website.

IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: iRig KEYS becomes first Lightning-compatible music keybo

Postby ammo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:01 am

BOy, would I ever love to get iRig Keys if the keys were aftertouch-sensitive. Don't you know how powerful that would make your little keyboard? Or do you believe that the extra twenty bucks you would spend on it would price it out of the range of the newbies who buy your stuff? Come on, all software has special effects for aftertouch, whether swell or pan or modulation assigned, or rotary speaker, or user configurable. The physical gesture of using aftertouch - a standard in the 1980s - is part of the repertoire of anyone who's used good synth. So rise above the rest! Add aftertouch and twenty bucks and you will get lots of buyers. Otherwise, forget it. I got lots of controllers lacking this essential feature!
ammo

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Thank you for your suggestion, we use many determining factors when creating a product and we also will take into account suggestions like yours. Thanks again.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dsherb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 am

My question is, if I purchase a lightening cord for my my iPhone5, will I be able to connect my iPhone to my midi keyboard? Or does it only work with iKeys?
Thanks in advance.
dsherb

Postby zoukistis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:51 am

Even better if you guys offered the option to choose which cable one would get with their order, because I got the shock of my life when I tried to order one and found that shipping to Australia was 35 euro :o To matters worse you can't even use jam points :x
zoukistis

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:58 am

Right now the cable is separate since iRig KEYS came out before Lightning connectors even existed and it isn't simple to introduce Lightning devices in the market with guidelines, requirements, and approvals for legitimate manufacturers like us to follow so it is not just a simple repackaging task. We are working to keep our product line evolving and always compliant.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dsherb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:02 am

I really appreciate your keeping up with the posts. I would still like to know, if I purchase a lightning cable will I be able to use my other midi keyboards with my iPhone.
Thanks
dsherb

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:48 pm

dsherb wrote:I really appreciate your keeping up with the posts. I would still like to know, if I purchase a lightning cable will I be able to use my other midi keyboards with my iPhone.
Thanks

My pleasure! The Lightning connector uses the proprietary connector on the iRig KEYS side so it would not be compatible with other keyboards.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dsherbon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. What would you suggest I need to purchase to use the Sample Tank on my iPhone 5 with my midi keyboard (Hammoned XB3).
Thanks again in advance for your help.
dsherbon

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:22 pm

You could use iRig MIDI with the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter since that appears to have MIDI IN/OUT/THRU on board. And it looks like an AMAZING keyboard! Nice.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby effeesse » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Can I use a 30pin to lightning adapter for using KEYS with my iPad mini with the supplied cable?
effeesse

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:42 pm

effeesse wrote:Can I use a 30pin to lightning adapter for using KEYS with my iPad mini with the supplied cable?

Yes, the official adapters from Apple will work.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby thomjo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Is the hardware in iRig keys upgraded in the new version or is it only the cable that is new. Also can I buy the old version (without lightning cable) and use the cable from iRig HD to connect it to a 4th generation iPad?
Regards
/Thomas
thomjo

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:44 pm

thomjo wrote:Is the hardware in iRig keys upgraded in the new version or is it only the cable that is new. Also can I buy the old version (without lightning cable) and use the cable from iRig HD to connect it to a 4th generation iPad?
Regards
/Thomas

It includes the additional cable, while the keyboard is the same. We did also announce iRig KEYS PRO with full-size keys too, check out http://www.irigkeys.com for information on the iRig KEYS family. If you have iRig HD you can use that cable.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby MacMusicMan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 am

I have the iRig Keys in my wish list as a possible replace for my Novation 25. But I noticed the the new with lightning product seems to be double the price. If you just need a cable to make it lightning compatible does it make sense to purchase the previous version.

I cannot find a comparison chart anywhere so not sure if there are any.
MacMusicMan

Next

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories