irig HD vs Apogee Jam

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

irig HD vs Apogee Jam

Postby harryhat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Ok, I'm full of questions today. I'm currently using the Apogee Jam digital interface. Is there a reason to to replace it with the iRig HD?
harryhat

Re: irig HD vs Apogee Jam

Postby Obitheincredible » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:14 pm

It is the first Lightning capable digital audio interface AND you get free gear models on AmpliTube iOS AND the AmpliTube Custom Shop. Plus, you know, [kanye voice]iRig is the best selling interface for guitar and bass of all time.[/kanye voice]
Obitheincredible
1K Club

Postby harryhat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Understood, but if I'm using a 30 pin device and I don't care about the free amps, is there and sound or speed differences between the two?
harryhat

Postby Obitheincredible » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:14 am

We've done our own comparisons and being we make (what we believe to be) a far superior product, we'll leave it to the consumers to do a shootout and give their own reviews on both. We are already getting tons of great reviews and feedback on them, including from owners of competing models.
Obitheincredible
1K Club

Postby harryhat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:15 pm

thanks again
harryhat

Postby Freak4Guitars » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:57 am

I think the biggest advantage in going with the IRig HD is the ability to play live. I think all the products that are out or soon to be arriving, such as the Blue Board, make the IK Multimedia family of products more complete. I was at the Apple store just a few weeks ago and I was holding the Apogee Jam in one hand and the IRig HD in the other and I went with the IRig HD. I liked all the apps from IK Multimedia, plus the accessories, and I thought it was sound advice to keep everything in the same family to get the best tone and performance. Apogee, I'm sure, is good, but I don't think Garageband is where most guitarists, like myself, are going and I want to work with a company that really thinks about guitarists.
Freak4Guitars

Postby harryhat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:06 am

Good point! Now I need to sell the apogee so I can afford the irig hd!
harryhat

Postby JCake » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:56 pm

I have not tried the Jam, but would be curious to hear a A-B comparison.
I do have the iRig HD 2 and other than the unit being waaaay too light (it just feels flimsy) and the gain- and volume-rollers that are easily mistaken for each other and not sturdy or especially precise, I'd say it's a decent product.
As an iPhone 7 user the Jam isn't even a viable option for me, since the Jam doesn't have a headphones jack like the HD 2. If another version of the Jam would come out with the headphone jack I'd definitely be interested in trying one out to see if there's a significant difference between the two on sound quality or usability, but as things currently are, HD 2 is the way to go (at least for people without a headphone jack on their device).
JCake

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Note that we also offered a free firmware upgrade to add 96kHz functionality, and iRig HD 2 has 96kHz out of the box at a still-lower price (as well as the added headphone jack and other features). The sound quality is comparable at the same samplerate so even without my IK bias I don't see why iRig HD 2 wouldn't be the clear choice to save money and get great sound and features.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby simons » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi all - looking at using an iPad for live work - acoustic guitar with K & K pickups. I don't need amp modelling just decent reverbs, delays, and mods.

Thing is I don't see any iOS guitar device sending a stereo out to FOH or desk etc. Bit of a shame if you've gone to all the trouble of modelling analogue delays, ping pong etc, or just super deep reverbs, if the outputs are stuck in mono.

Unless there's something I haven't spotted! I'm tending towards the iRig HD 2 over the Apogee, mainly for the instant guitar output, which I'm assuming would be far better quality than the headphone output of the iPad (which I guess is where the Apogee Jam 96 sends its audio?). Is the 1/4 inch jack output of the iRig HD TRS - stereo?

But it'd also be good to know that should I want to use the iRig along with say an Audient ID14 for superior STEREO output, that would be possible?

Any thoughts and suggestions please!
simons

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories