toolbar_feed

Vocalive FX Quality

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Vocalive FX Quality

Postby audio4entertainment » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 pm

After using this app for a while now on my iPad (4th gen.) I wonder what the crowd thinks about the quality of the FX. I just can't get a hook on them, especially the reverb and the de-esser leave big question marks above my head. Whilst the reverb sounds like a plate reverb rendition of antique vst effects, the de-esser appears to be without function - at least I can't hear any difference when comparing tracks with or without, and that is with different vocalists. I really dig Amplitube and SampleTank and have been using IKM stuff ever since, but this App just doesn't meet my expectations towards the dev. I know I can't expect any app to match the quality of my outboards but this is just a notch too much.

:?: Is it just me? :?:
audio4entertainment

Re: Vocalive FX Quality

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

We stand by the quality of the VocaLive processors at the same level as our other offerings. If you are not hearing the effect of one of the FX in there, like you state about the de-esser, perhaps there is something happening in the gain staging? Try to make sure all levels are optimal and strong and the signal going in is of the highest possible quality too (you know what they say "garbage in, garbage out" though that's really an old computer programming term co-opted for audio ;) ).

If this isn't of any help to you, I suggest you contact support and they will give you some one-on-one help.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK

Postby audio4entertainment » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:19 pm

As for "garbage in, garbage out", that still applies.

However, with Vocalive I did make sure that the incoming signal complies with the requirements, using an Apogee MIC, raw vocal tracks from a pretty high-end DAW and the Demo-Voices provided with the App. I am sorry but neither I nor my friend can revise our initial opinion, and I would have loved to be wrong. The reverb sounds like under a bridge, and for the de-esser to kick in in an audible manner (!) it requires a rediculously high level of ssssss . It looks like there just isn't a more reasonable solution than selecting all the silibants and so on, reducing the gain one-by-one...sigh.

Apart from that, Vocalive is a great multitrack recorder with just enough fx for a singer-songwriter setup, but then again this multitrack feature has to be bought in-app.
audio4entertainment

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Still sounds like there may be potential issues that you can work through with support if FX aren't working the way they should. I suggest you do contact them too http://www.ikmultimedia.com/support Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories