B3X iPad: Send MIDI program change for preset

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

B3X iPad: Send MIDI program change for preset

Postby SteveGardner44 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:12 am

I'm running B3X on an iPad, controlled by a Roland RD2000. I would like to send program changes from the RD2000 to move from one B3X preset to another. Normally, to send program changes from an RD2000, you enter three numbers: an MSB code for the instrument, an LSB code, and a program change number. In the documentation for the B3X, I see the program change numbers for the various presets, but what should I enter for MSB and LSB? MIDI codes are a mystery to me. Thanks!
SteveGardner44

Re: B3X iPad: Send MIDI program change for preset

Postby Promidi » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:44 am

SteveGardner44 wrote:, but what should I enter for MSB and LSB? MIDI codes are a mystery to me. Thanks!

The short answer is Put 0 (zero) for both MSB and LSB

I just tested the PC VST version of B3X in Cakewalk by Bandlab and this worked for me. (VST3 version didn’t work).

MSB and LSB refers to the BANK of a program change.

MSB stands for Most Significant Byte
LSB stands for Least Significant Byte

The actual bank to send is 0 so just put 0 (zero) for both. Actually B3X does not appear to need the BANK. However, as the Roland RD2000 is asking for MSB and LSB, I tested that.

There are 128 patch assignments possible for B3X (0 to 127)
Banks are not mentioned, and not needed, so just send 0 for both MSB and LSB.

I used Cakewalk by Bandlab to send the program changes to B3X and B3X indeed did respond to my program changes (My programmed presets were selected).

I am hoping this works for you. I am assuming that the Roland RD2000 sends bank changes on CC0 (MSB) and C32 (LSB) as this is what Cakewalk by Bandlab does (which is standard).
Promidi

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories