AmpliTube iOS clipping / distorting for no good reason

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

AmpliTube iOS clipping / distorting for no good reason

Postby optilude » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:26 am

I have AmpliTube 4 with Fender Collection 1 and 2 on both Mac and iOS. Mac is no problem but on iOS I get a very annoying clip/crackle/distortion sound very often and I can’t make it go away.

I use a PRS SE Custom 24 into an iRig HD2 (with a very short cable: the iRig is strapped to my guitar) and then into headphones (good quality Sony studio ones) and an iPad Pro 2019 model via a mini-USB to USB-C cable.

With most models on most settings I get a clip/distortion type crackle when strumming a chord or picking more than one string. It’s not super loud but noticeable and takes all the enjoyment out of playing. It is most noticeable at the tail end of a note or chord.

I have the physical gain dial on the iRig set to minimum. In AmpliTube I have the input gain under Settings at 0.5 (I’ve also tried all the way to the left at 0) and it appears to get a good “green” signal in the settings pop-up, about two thirds of the way across. Gain sliders in the track / mixer view are at 0. None of the meters in the track view, mixer view, or settings pop-up appear to clip at all.

I’ve tried flipping al the settings that warn me they might cause crackle (latency etc), but no noticeable impact. And with a top spec iPad I’m certain CPU usage is not the problem.

I get the same problem whether I use AmpliTube standalone or as an inter-app audio plugin in GarageBand.

[mod redacted]I’m pretty sure the problem is AmpliTube.

Any ideas? Have others had the same?

Martin
optilude

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories