iRig Mic Constant Hiss

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

iRig Mic Constant Hiss

Postby craig3a11 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:03 pm

Why is there no information on how to get rid of the constant loud background hiss when trying to voice record with this mic? Doesn’t pick up on low gain, constant hiss on high gain. Hiss on Voice Memos, hiss on iRig Recorder, hiss on GrarageBand.

Bought ages ago so I can’t return it. Looks and feels quality, but does not record well, and the te hi cal support for the issue is completely lacking.

[mod redacted - unnecessary]
craig3a11

Re: iRig Mic Constant Hiss

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:20 pm

That's not the normal behavior from what I'm seeing (many using iRig Mic without a "hiss" and I have also used it in the past with no issues). If you have a ticket about this that you feel is not being handled well please let us know the ticket number as the team will happily assist with issues with any of our products.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby craig3a11 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:55 pm

No, I don’t have a support ticket. I searched forums and the internet for advice on this issue and found none. I just did my recording directly on the iPad with the built in Mic.
craig3a11

Postby craig3a11 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm

I have put in a query with support - will be very surprised if they can give any advice that will solve this issue.
craig3a11

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 pm

They can usually help with almost any reasonable query/issue. iRig Mic is an analog connection so you will have some inherent noise with any analog connected microphone or interface but it would certainly be within a reasonable level / per specs and shouldn't be very loud.

For pristine quality you'd want a digitally-connected mic or interface, like iRig Mic HD.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby craig3a11 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks but probably not the best time to upsell - I’m not really likely to go to another of your products to solve this issue, given the terrible sound quality of the first one.
craig3a11

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:23 pm

Not really an upsell, just a fact that any (not just IK's) digitally-connected mics or interfaces will always have less noise than an analog version.

I also pointed out that the level of noise you seem to be hearing (stating it is loud, per your post) is not normal even for an analog connected microphone. I hope you take my posts as a whole and understand that I was addressing each part individually and offering facts about how you can get pristine audio. Yes, it will cost more, as it is a digital mic, but both are quality. They jus have different purposes - analog will be more cost effective with some caveats. Again, that's just factual data, not meant to upset you or appear to be an "upsell".\

Note that I didn't suggest you replace your iRig Mic, I suggested you seek official direct support for what doesn't appear to be normal behavior (like I said, loud noise is not a feature of iRig Mic).
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jsonic23 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:28 pm

I just received mine and I am also getting a terrible hiss with nothing plugged into the device. I've used analog pre's before and there is a little expected noise... but this is incredibly noisy... at an unacceptable level. I' guess I'll be returning it and looking for a different solution.
jsonic23

Postby craig3a11 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:38 pm

Yeah, the cheapo Chinese one for Karaoke machines I got at the op shop works better.
craig3a11

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories