Micro Amp or Iloud Speaker?

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Micro Amp or Iloud Speaker?

Postby angleraxel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi guys,

I love the sound I get out of my Irig HD2 when I hook it up to my Ipad with headphones. However, I'm trying to replicate that sound through a small Frontman amp but it sounds completely different. Actually, not very good. So my research has lead me to believe that the headphone sound can best be duplicated by a FRFR speaker.
What would be my best option for a small amp situation? The Irig Micro Amp or the Iloud Speaker? I'm not looking for a studio monitor setup, something more portable.
Or is their a better option?
Thanks
angleraxel

Re: Micro Amp or Iloud Speaker?

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:52 pm

You would definitely want a full range speaker. iLoud is a great one - though it does have an iRig circuit, it is an analog (original) iRig circuit so it would be best to send headphone out from iRig HD 2 --> iLoud's aux in.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby angleraxel » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Thanks for replying Peter. So after your suggestion I went online to determine if we were comparing apples to apples and I discovered I mislead you. I actually own the Irig 2, not the Irig 2 HD.
Does the Iloud speaker have compatibility issues with the Irig 2? Do I need to upgrade to the HD to solve my problems?

:)
angleraxel

Postby Utkinpaul » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:32 pm

angleraxel wrote:Hi guys,

I love the sound I get out of my Irig HD2 when I hook it up to my Ipad with headphones. However, I'm trying to replicate that sound through a small Frontman amp but it sounds completely different.

Did you connect iRig headphones 1/4" output into the amp aux input, or connected 1/8" cord to the guitar input? latter will of course sound different.
If connected to the aux in on the amplifier and if amplifier/speaker setup is decently linear - you should not get too much difference from what you hear in your headphones.
Utkinpaul

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:00 am

Utkinpaul wrote:
angleraxel wrote:Hi guys,

I love the sound I get out of my Irig HD2 when I hook it up to my Ipad with headphones. However, I'm trying to replicate that sound through a small Frontman amp but it sounds completely different.

Did you connect iRig headphones 1/4" output into the amp aux input, or connected 1/8" cord to the guitar input? latter will of course sound different.
If connected to the aux in on the amplifier and if amplifier/speaker setup is decently linear - you should not get too much difference from what you hear in your headphones.

1/8" headphone out on iRig HD 2 --> Aux input on iLoud.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby angleraxel » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:38 am

I think you’re right. That was my mistake. I was playing around with it the other night. While I was jamming with some backing tracks I noticed that the tracks had a reverb on them from the amp. So I thought maybe I’ll feed the backing track into the aux input to see if it’s still there. Voila! No reverb and actually no control over the tracks at all from the amp. It was being feed after the preamp. Ding-ding! A light bulb went off in my head. So I feed my AmpliTube input into the aux of the amp and it was 100% improved.

I think I might be able to work with the tones and get a good result. However, I’m still curious about the Iloud. Would it out perform my 25 watt frontman amp in a small jam setting with other band members? And would an upgrade to the HD model irig be worth it?
angleraxel

Postby moodythe13 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:44 am

OP

Did you ever get your questions answered?

I'm curious myself as to whether an iLoud could hold it's own against a frontman 25?

Sorry I realize this thread is kind of old, but I was curious the route OP decided to go
moodythe13

Postby angleraxel » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:05 pm

moodythe13 wrote:OP

Did you ever get your questions answered?

I'm curious myself as to whether an iLoud could hold it's own against a frontman 25?

Sorry I realize this thread is kind of old, but I was curious the route OP decided to go

Sorry partner. No one ever replied how the Iloud speaker would compare to a 25 Frontman. It's such a high price that I never took a gamble on it. If it is comparable to an amp the price is ok but if it's just a blue-tooth speaker... too pricey for me.

J
angleraxel

Postby Utkinpaul » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:56 pm

I just looked at the web page of our local GuitarCenter store - they have in stock your amp, iLoud device and the Boss Katana 100 mk2 as well. Just go there and try it out - there is no better way to make an opinion than your own ears.
Utkinpaul

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories