Hammond B-3X for iPad now available

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Re: Hammond B-3X for iPad now available

Postby lightbg » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:35 am

I’ve spent most of the day trying to replicate the audio issues and I can’t. I’ve changed buffer size from 256 to 128 without any problem. I tried 64 but that shut down all audio on the iPad. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s livable since it is infrequent and I can usually eliminate it with a change of the expression pedal.

Wouldn’t it be weird if they modeled 50+ year old circuitry and intentionally threw in some glitches to be accurate for a period piece?

Jake
lightbg

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:44 pm

lightbg wrote:Wouldn’t it be weird if they modeled 50+ year old circuitry and intentionally threw in some glitches to be accurate for a period piece?

We wouldn't do so intentionally, but it's funny you mention this because we have done so unintentionally in the past. I believe it was one of the Ampeg amps where this happened: We modeled the circuit so realistically that you could actually make the amp shut itself down like the real units would under specific circumstances. It was wild, and kind of eye opening to see modeling that took it to that level. Though it really was purely unintentional it was still rather cool in a way - though we had to fix that issue virtually for sure :)
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby lightbg » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:49 pm

That is the best admission of circuit reproduction I have ever seen.....thanks for sharing. That raises my respect level to a different dimension for your efforts.

Jake
lightbg

Postby stewfromnj » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks Jake for continuing your stress testing of the app. Hmmm... I might be pulled to a new Ipad!
stewfromnj

Postby SBRUSA » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:03 am

Are there any factory presets available for the iRig Keys IO keyboard that will work with the new B3X?
I see there are factory settings for a bunch of other products on the Keys IO but not for the B3X yet.
Last edited by SBRUSA on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SBRUSA

Postby stewfromnj » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:03 am

Update on my Ipad Air 1 issue:

I am still working with IK support on my issues, but was able to "squeak" in some stability from the following steps:

Opened B-3x on rebooted Ipad Air 1, no connection to anything, just played on Ipad with internal speaker. Set the buffer to 512, made no preset changes from default preset, and made no navigation to the Post FX tab, Post FX were off on default. Went to the Cabs tab -> Mixer and made sure that the Guitar Amp and DI were turned off. I can then play about 20 minutes with no noticeable loss of performance, then I exited the app. I can't confirm a stable session longer than that so if I get time, I'll try for a longer session, maybe be brave and add the guitar cab.

Yes this very well could mean that you''ll forego the Post FX if you want any chance of a stable session. but this might make things a bit less painful if you want to use the app until you're able to update your device.

BTW: I caved and upgraded to Ipad Mini 5, transferred my apps to my new device without having to repurchase them. IMHO and unless I hear otherwise from those that have older Ipads with no issues, the spec statement on the IK site... "For AUv3, we recommend using these models and newer: iPad 6th Generation (2018), iPad Air 3rd Generation (2019), iPad Mini 5th Generation (2019), iPad Pro 2nd Generation (2017)." ... could be taken as a recommended general overall requirement if you need full stability.

I will follow up with any learnings for the Ipad Air 1 and also provide a short summary of my thoughts on the app now that I have a use of it on my Mini 5. So far, so good!
stewfromnj

Postby lightbg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:46 am

Congrats on the mini5. I’ve isolated my noise issues to a questionable pot on my controller keyboard - when I change setups with another controller or even Bluetooth connect the noise simply vanishes.
I have left the app on all day, just popping into my studio to play a few phrases and it’s been flawless. I’ve even loaded into my mini 4, set the buffer to 256, and been fine for 30 minute stretches.
It is a demanding app, but the rewards are totally gratifying. I’ll be giving it a trial this Sunday at a benefit. I’m bringing a backup keyboard, but B3X will be my primary rig.

Jake
lightbg

Postby lightbg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 am

BTW Stewfromnj, if that does mean New Jersey, I’m in Rockaway Township in Morris county.

Jake
lightbg

Postby stewfromnj » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:04 am

Thanks Jake, that's great to hear on the noise issue! Hopefully it is just a transient minor glitch that just works it's way out on my end.

I have a jam coming up with some friends that will be my first long session with the app. It does sound good so far!
stewfromnj

Postby stewfromnj » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:07 am

Awesome Jake... yep Jerzee, down the shore in Toms River. I'll be in Raritan tomorrow which is down 287 from you I believe!
stewfromnj

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:34 pm

Born and bred in NJ here, Bergen County boy. Good to see a lot of NJians around. Though I'm no longer there, I love it (and NYC since I'm a north Jersey person - and let's not get into the whole "Pork Roll vs Taylor Ham" discussion). But I digress...
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby stewfromnj » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Jerzee!!
stewfromnj

Postby lightbg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Peter,
I was born and bred in Clifton. My wife was originally from Garfield. Moved to Morris county 8 years ago. One of my sons is in Parsippany, the other in Oakland ( where I am right now babysitting one of my grandsons).
Thankfully I’m retired from teaching (Music in Elizabeth, NJ), otherwise I couldn’t keep up this pace. ;)

Rutts’ Hut Rippers for the win!

Jake
lightbg

Postby jimlaing » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:57 pm

I put this in the PC/Mac thread for B-3X by mistake. These suggestions are for the iPad Hammond B-3X app:

I love the new B-3X app! Here are 2 features I think would be very valuable in this app:

1) a "panic button" to get out of the rare possibility of stuck notes (happened once to me).

2) The ability to recall via MIDI, the various 12 drawbar settings within a Preset. Some other modules and apps and MIDI devices, do this through modifications to a simple PC Program Change - that is, using LSB/MSB settings to recall variations of a preset, or sub-presets within a preset, etc. It would be great to not have to create an entire Preset just for variations in Drawbars only. It would be nice to have a Preset, that once recalled, allowed one to (via MIDI commands) recall any of the 12 (24?) drawbar settings within that Preset.

Thanks!
Jim
jimlaing

Postby stokkan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Amazing sound! Considering using B-3X gigging connected to my 2013 dual manual Mojo (actually better sounding than the Mojo+T&F+MiniVent2). Mapping with the Mojo worked very well. A few issues I´ve found so far... On IPad Pro 9.7" ios 13.1 2016 256 GB, output sound usb to Dexibel Vivo S3.

Using KeyStage; KeyStage virtual midi out, B3-X run in the background along with M3000 and iM1. B-3X keeps dropping out, and when changing to the B-3X app it kills it. Would have been nice to have a "log" mode to log events for error probing. Also I found that when using the KeyStage virtual port the buffer size was set to 1024 with no option to change, while in AUM I can get down to 128.

B-3X works well as AUv3 with AUM, though takes up a lot of resources. 30-40% dsp alone, two instances 70-100%. One B3-X combined with M3000, Alina and Model D 70-90%. I may try Camelot Pro, as loading saved AUM files takes at bit too much time + adjust program changes.

I would guess it is the amp sim that hogs resources as the organ should not use too much resources (depends if it´s modeled, sampled or combo)... It may be a bit risky gigging with the B-3X with other apps, but I´ll give it try on the next rehearsals..
stokkan

PreviousNext

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories