MIDI Freezing...Sampletank and iRig MIDI 2 I/F

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

MIDI Freezing...Sampletank and iRig MIDI 2 I/F

Postby jodenmi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Running Sampletank for iOS with two instruments loaded, via iRg MIDI 2 with latest firmware and control from a Studilogic SL88 controller..

What happens is at random intervals, the sounds I am using all freeze and no further input from the controller keyboard is recognised. At a live gig this is not very good! Particularly as sometimes one of the sounds is an organ or synth and having these jammed on a set of chords while the rest of the song is playing is embarrassing not to mention sounds awful!

The only way to stop it is to remove the iRig MIDI 2, the sounds stop after about 2 seconds then I re-connect the iRig and away we go again with everything normal.

What is causing this please? I have no issues (that I have noticed) with iGrand, iLectric, Korg Module, Camelot Pro, AUM Mixer, Audioshare or indeed any other app - seems to be restricted to Sampletank.

Any ideas?

PS: have already sent a message to support - just seeing if any other users have experienced this.

Thanks
jodenmi

Re: MIDI Freezing...Sampletank and iRig MIDI 2 I/F

Postby jodenmi » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Been thinking about this a bit more, and a possible answer is the half-pedal I am using.

IE it allows values from 0-127 fro the sustain option thereby allowing "half-pedalling". As this continually transmits CC values, I am wondering if this is causing a MIDI "jam-up" if the data flow gets too great? And IIRC, now, I think there were a couple of times it happened in Camelot Pro and AUM as well. Perhaps the iRig MIDI 2 interface is not "robust" enough for heavy MIDI data flow???

I'll try a standard sustain pedal (IE on of off) and see if I can re-create the freezing.
jodenmi

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:58 pm

iRig MIDI 2 should more than handle "robust" MIDI data. I'm sure IK Support will be able to figure out what's going on
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jodenmi » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:06 am

hmmmm, maybe....what I can say is that after switching to the standard sustain pedal I have noticed no further issues, and I have setup even more layers in the ST Multis ;) ...I am still testing so this might change, but the evidence is stacking up against it!

It will be interesting to see what support has to say. iRig MIDI is still operating under the older MIDI standards, so like any other MIDI interface, when using dense MIDI data there is the possibility of glitches occurring.
jodenmi

Postby jodenmi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Nope, change in sustain pedal made no difference after all - it is freezing again. iOS 12.1.3
jodenmi

Postby jodenmi » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:27 pm

So, further steps...

Seemed a peripheral device (a drum machine) which I have connected via BTe, was sending continuous clock messages into the iPad - and even though not connected directly to the iRigMIDI2 seemed to be possible causing the hang..so I turned that off and the problem went away. Ran it all yesterday without a glitch.

So this morning I decided to re-introduce the continuous sustain pedal, and within 10 minutes of using it, iRigMIDI 2 froze again!

So maybe it seems any sort of continuous MIDI cc going in are at the root of this problem? Perhaps there is some issue with the iRig not being able to release data quick enough if the MIDI data stream gets too busy?

Has anyone else been experiencing this?
jodenmi

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 pm

iRig MIDI 2 should be more than capable of handling continuous MIDI data (as it is a serial data transfer which, even when continuous, isn't all that much of a load).

What did IK Support have to say?
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jodenmi » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:13 pm

Yeah, fwiw Peter, I agree!

It is quite unusual...I took your tip of contacting Ryan and he got on to it straight away...just had to send back details of purchase etc and that's done so hopefully we can come up with something.

It may even be iOS related?

In any case I'll report back here so that if others experience similar issues there will be a searchable solution, or at the very least more info to help out :)
jodenmi

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories