iRig HD 2 Doesn't Output to iOS Speakers?!

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

iRig HD 2 Doesn't Output to iOS Speakers?!

Postby Irish916 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm an existing iRig HD customer who upgraded to a new iPAD Air and lost access to the headphone jack as the new iPAd doesn't have one. So.... I went and purchased the iRig HD 2 because it has a built-in headphone jack. So the iRig HD 2 arrives today and I plug it into my iPAD- no output? Hmm, input signal is good. I just wanted to confirm what I'm seeing in other threads, because honestly I can't believe what I'm reading. Is it true that the iRig HD2 will NOT output to the iOS speakers? I MUST use headphones or output to another amplified source using bypass? Someone needs to confirm this for me. I bought the iRiG HD2 thinking I would get the added benefit of the headphone jack and did NOT think I would lose output of sound to the iOS device. That's insane to me and I'm probably going to have to return this if this is confirmed. I don't understand why it's one or the other. That's a terrible design IMO. Can someone please confirm?
Irish916

Re: iRig HD 2 Doesn't Output to iOS Speakers?!

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi, I can confirm that this is not unique to IK products. When using an audio interface connected to an iOS device, iOS will use the input(s) and output(s) of that audio interface and not the speakers on the device.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Irish916 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. My concern is the original iRigHD outputs through the iOS device speakers just fine. Why would IK develop a more recent version of the product and eliminate the user's ability to output through the device speakers? We have essentially eliminated an option from the consumer that was there with the previous model?! A simple switch that you disabl be from the iRig when headphones are used is all it takes. Better yet, make the iRig auto switch so when headphones are plugged in the audio ouput on the iOS device is disabled. Just don't take away the playback option. That's terrible. At the very least, IK should specify in the product manual that HEADPHONES ARE REQUIRED when using an iOS device. So dissatisfied.
Irish916

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 pm

That's because iRig HD didn't have an output. As I stated above, this is not a choice made by IK nor unique to IK audio interfaces. If there is a method of output on the plugged-in audio interface, iOS makes the choice to only use that.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 pm

To summarize so nobody else stumbles across this thread and misunderstands:

In iOS, if you use an audio interface (be it IK or non-IK) which as input(s) and output(s), the device and iOS itself will only use that audio interface's input(s) and output(s) for your audio.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mscsoccer4u » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:37 pm

I noticed this thread is nearly 10 years old, but on my iPhone 12 as stated in previous posts the key strokes will not play from the phone's speakers. The interesting thing is that if I have my headphones (AirPods Pro) wirelessly connected to my iPhone I can hear the keys as I play them. Seems like iOS should make some better end user options to allow for the option to play through the iPhone's speakers.
mscsoccer4u

Postby fuzzyreets » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Not sure if anyone is still following this. I understand why audio is not output on iPad/iPhone for monitoring. I'm wondering if any other product will do this whether it be iRig or otherwise. I don't believe so as I believe the limitation is because of iOS/iPadOS so probably not possible but thought I would ask. Thanks.
fuzzyreets

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories