Irig 2HD - Using Amp - No Sound on FX

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Irig 2HD - Using Amp - No Sound on FX

Postby jonathonlt1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:13 am

Hi guys, first time poster here. I gotta be honest. I’m really trying to be patient in trying to get this whole setup to work well in either GarageBand or AmpliTube. But I’m having absolutely zero success.

I’m using an iPad Pro (2018) with the USB-C port, with an Irig HD 2. My IOS is up to date, and I’m using both GarageBand and AmpliTube. All I’m trying to do is play live on an external amp. My cables are good, but I cannot get any sound on “FX” side switch of the unit. I can switch it to “thru” and it works great for a clean, boring sound. Same issue in both GarageBand and AmpliTube. I even checked the upper right corner of my screen to make sure it’s not set to silent mode. In GarageBand, I made sure my Monitor is on too.

I’m literally out of ideas. Anything I’m missing?
jonathonlt1

Re: Irig 2HD - Using Amp - No Sound on FX

Postby KenWat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:16 am

I have exactly the same issue. Did you solve this?
KenWat

Postby jonathonlt1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Yes, I did. What worked for me is buying the correct (2) cables. I have to use a USB-C to Mini USB OTG cable. That connects the iRig to the iPad. It needs to be OTG.

But if you want to hear it through the amp, you still have to use an auxiliary cable, with an 1/4" adapter for the amp side and 1/8" side for the iRig side. Works great that way. Otherwise, you can use your headphones with the 1/8" side plugging directly into the iRig.

Hope that helps!
jonathonlt1

Postby tonyroberts » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 pm

I had exactly the same problem. Eventually I found that if I switched the "No Feedback" option off then it worked. Now I get output from both the 1/4" and 1/8" outputs.
tonyroberts

Postby alibinex » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:59 am

jonathonlt1 wrote:Yes, I did. What worked for me is buying the correct (2) cables. I have to use a USB-C to Mini USB OTG cable. That connects the iRig to the iPad. It needs to be OTG.

But if you want to hear it through the amp, you still have to use an auxiliary cable, with an 1/4" adapter for the amp side and 1/8" side for the iRig side. Works great that way. Otherwise, you can use your headphones with the 1/8" side plugging directly into the iRig.

Hope that helps!

Exactly the same issue for me (I'm using an iPhone 7)... a bit frustrating, especially given that last year I went through the same kind of disappointment trying to make things work with an iRig.

So, basically, the workaround you came up with is to plug your amp into the 1/8" headphone output on the HD2?
alibinex

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm

alibinex wrote:
jonathonlt1 wrote:Yes, I did. What worked for me is buying the correct (2) cables. I have to use a USB-C to Mini USB OTG cable. That connects the iRig to the iPad. It needs to be OTG.

Hope that helps!

Exactly the same issue for me (I'm using an iPhone 7)... a bit frustrating, especially given that last year I went through the same kind of disappointment trying to make things work with an iRig.

So, basically, the workaround you came up with is to plug your amp into the 1/8" headphone output on the HD2?

iRig HD 2 has a 1/4" amp output. If you are having difficulty with your please open a support ticket at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support and the team will assist you directly.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby prometh » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 pm

I just bought this today and I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 7. The status light on the device turns green when I play, so it's at least receiving input correctly. Disabling "no feedback" does not work.
prometh

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:05 pm

prometh wrote:I just bought this today and I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 7. The status light on the device turns green when I play, so it's at least receiving input correctly. Disabling "no feedback" does not work.

Please let IK Support know via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support and they will assist you with your issue directly. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jmcgrainor » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:41 pm

yes you don't need any fancy cables or anything like that. if you turn OFF the no feedback option in amplitube and just plug in to your amp with a 1/4 inch mono cable from the amp output on your Irig 2HD to the input on your amp switch it to FX ( NOT Thru) and you'll be ok.
jmcgrainor

Postby Simonsrig » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Same problem here - only able to process the ”neutral” sound from 1/4 on the iRig HD2 to the 1/4” input on the amp. FX on equals no sound. Mainly playing in GarageBand.
Simonsrig

Postby ori5678 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:40 pm

tonyroberts wrote:I had exactly the same problem. Eventually I found that if I switched the "No Feedback" option off then it worked. Now I get output from both the 1/4" and 1/8" outputs.

This worked for me. Thanks tonyroberts!
I tried using my tube amp for the first time as the output for my new iRig HD2 with FX from Amplitube iOS (Thru signal was ok), but it would not work at first. But then...Bingo!
I simply waited 10-20 secs after switching off "no feedback" option in settings. If it still does not work for you, try closing and restarting the app and give it a bit of time.
ori5678

Postby Simonsrig » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:56 pm

I understand how that works, but surely the FX throughput must be functiunal in other DAWs as well? Or is the FX throughput to an amp usable with Amplitube app only, not Garage Band or other DAWs?
Simonsrig

Postby ori5678 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:06 pm

I tried it on Garage Band and GE Labs, and FX throughput worked with both. Haven’t tried any others, so I can’t advise further.
ori5678

Postby Simonsrig » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:13 pm

To be clear: Are you successfully connecting from irig 1/4 to amp 1/4 and getting FX audio in Garage Band? I can make it work when using 1/8 but I want to use regular 1/4 patch cable from irig to Blackstar Fly 3 BT.
Simonsrig

Postby ori5678 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:26 pm

I’m using 1/4 inch out from iRig into 1/4 input on my amp using an instrument cable. Not the 1/8 output for headphones.
In order to get fx sound from Amplitube in Garage Band you need to use the Inter-App Audio function and select Amplitube as an effect rather than choosing instrument.
ori5678

Next

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories