Can't Figure Out how to Connect IRIG2 to iMac

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Can't Figure Out how to Connect IRIG2 to iMac

Postby Music Fusion » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:26 pm

I am trying to properly connect my Irig2 to my 2009 iMac. My set up is as follows:

2009 Imac
Irig2 for guitar
Steinberg UR 44 Sound Interface
Logic Pro 10X
I tried connecting the 1/8" stereo plug into the Line In on the back of my iMac, and updated the preferences accordingly, but I got no sound coming out.

I then tried plugging the 1/8" stereo plug into the Headphone jack on the back of my iMac, and updated the preferences accordingly, and I got sound.

However, the sound comes out of my speakers that are connected to the Steinberg UR44, but the 1/4 Cable that is supposed to carry the sound to an external amp, does not seem to be carrying any sound.

In order for me to record my guitar, it is important fort me to run the 1/4 cable to an inept of my Steinberg sound module. Without doing that, I can hear the guitar and effects, but I can't record it as there is no sound from the 1/4 jack.

Can anyone explain what I should be doing? My goal is to hear the guitar and effects as well as to be able to record them.

Thank-you for your time and expertise. It is much appreciated!!!

However,
Music Fusion

Re: Can't Figure Out how to Connect IRIG2 to iMac

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:16 am

Hey Music Fusion,

Thanks for your post.

If you have a Steinberg UR44 you have a Hi-Z input to go to your Mac system already. I would suggest going straight into this device and using AmpliTube 4 CS (Custom Shop) for your Guitar FX inside of Logic Pro X.

This software (AmpliTube 4) should run as an AU (Component) plug-in in Logic Pro X. From here you can record your dry/unprocessed performance and add AmpliTube when you need it. If you want, you can also copy your dry/unprocessed recording to a new track and bounce this audio in place. This will 'bounce' this track's audio with the applied AmpliTube 4 effects, effectively giving you both an audio track with your dry/unprocessed signal and your processed AmpliTube signal.

Note* If you are using the iRig 2 with your AmpliTube 4 CS stand-alone software. Make sure to use a headphone input for the iRig 2 and select your 'Built in Microphone' and 'Built-in Output' in the 'Audio/MIDI Set Up'. This menu can be found under the Settings drop down in the top navigation bar. Once done you should hear playback if your Mac system is compatible with the iRig 2.

Keep in mind, the THRU/FX button can be used to alter the 1/4" Amplifier output on your iRig 2. This will send a dry/unprocessed signal on THRU and a processed signal from whatever software is being used (Like AmpliTube) when set to FX.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Music Fusion » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:08 am

Thanks Ryan:

That was very helpful. I will give that a go.

The one thing I really wanted to use was something called Tonebridge. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/tonebri ... 91846?mt=8

I find the presets on Tone bridge very good and I wanted to be able to use Tonebridge as my effects. Not sure how to include that in the config you told me about.
Music Fusion

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:24 am

In that case, run ToneBridge on your iOS device with your iRig 2 connected. Once set up, make sure you have signal in your iRig 2 headphone port. From here you can switch the iRig 2 to FX mode and connect the 1/4" amplifier output directly to your UR 44. This is not an ideal set up, but this should get you running the way you want.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Music Fusion » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Thank-you. I got Tonebridge and Irig running as a normal Audio Unit Plug in within Logic, but I find it is unstable in the sense that sometimes, I get an exclamation mark on the plug in and it is deactivated.

Also, strangely, the Irig 2 works when inserted into the headphone jack on my iMac, in the sense that it sends the signal through the Mac, but the stereo 1/8 port on the Irig and the 1/4 port on the Irig do not carry sound. So running the 1/4 to the UR44 has no effect as there is no sound. Very odd.
Music Fusion

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 am

Music Fusion wrote:Thank-you. I got Tonebridge and Irig running as a normal Audio Unit Plug in within Logic, but I find it is unstable in the sense that sometimes, I get an exclamation mark on the plug in and it is deactivated.

Also, strangely, the Irig 2 works when inserted into the headphone jack on my iMac, in the sense that it sends the signal through the Mac, but the stereo 1/8 port on the Irig and the 1/4 port on the Irig do not carry sound. So running the 1/4 to the UR44 has no effect as there is no sound. Very odd.

It sounds like your system may be running low on resources when using ToneBridge as an Audio Unit. Make sure to check with the ToneBridge team to see if there are any optimizations they suggestion. Another option is trying out AmpliTube 4 CS (Custom Shop) from your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/) to see how this works for you.

My suggestion on using the iRig 2 would be with an external device, like an iPhone or iPad device. While you may be able to find a solution in the way you've described, I would not suggest running an app like ToneBridge with the iRig 2 while also running your DAW to record this sound.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Music Fusion » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:05 am

I think you're right. Probably makes sense to run it externally and receive the system of the resources.

Thanks again!
Music Fusion

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories