Volume Pedal for Amplitube?

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Volume Pedal for Amplitube?

Postby tdwimsatt » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 pm

I am using the Amplitube app on my iPad mini2 with the iRig Blueboard. I also purchased an expression pedal hoping to use it with the app. One major omission to the pedal collection is a volume pedal. There are a couple of wah-wah's (that I have not tried) but no volume control pedal. Could that be added? Not sure if there is any modeling involved but I use an Ernie Ball volume pedal with my non-virtual/physical rig.

Thanks!
Tom Wimsatt
Just2PlayGuitar.com
tdwimsatt

Re: Volume Pedal for Amplitube?

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Hello!

Thanks for your post.

While I will be more than happy to pass along your interest in this topic to the correct persons. Let's see how we can help in the meantime here.

There are many ways to control your input volume in AmpliTube iOS. Do note, pressing any control in AmpliTube (Which can be MIDI learned) will result in a 'MIDI Learn' window. Once this appears, moving anything on the connected MIDI controller (like your iRig Stomp I/O expression pedal) will result in this control being 'Learned' to your pedal.

Try assigning an FX pedal 'Volume' control to this pedal or the Amplifier's 'Volume' knob to this function. This should help here depending on where your FX are being applied in your chain.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby tdwimsatt » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Ryan,

Thanks for the instructions! I got the pedal to talk to the volume pedal, very cool. Question, though: the pedal only seems to go to 9 on the volume control. Maybe that is full volume w.r.t. the expression pedal? Could be the on-screen view of the control only goes that far with the pedal?

Thanks again!
Tom
Tom Wimsatt
Just2PlayGuitar.com
tdwimsatt

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Hey Tom,

Try calibrating your pedal in the Menu -> Settings. There is an External Control Settings menu here with an iRig BlueBoard section. This is where you can find this calibration.

Hope this helps!
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby JohnnyButcher » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am

Question to Tom - have you tried the Wah with the Blueboard / Expression pedal? I have the same iPad and am thinking of buying the Blueboard and a pedal mainly so I can use the wah: I'd like to know if it works as you'd expect. If so, what exp pedal did you go for?

Any advice / info would be gratefully welcomed!
JohnnyButcher

Postby tdwimsatt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:26 am

I got the Moog EP-3 expression pedal. Beefy construction and smooth travel. I will try it with the wah and get back to you.
Tom Wimsatt
Just2PlayGuitar.com
tdwimsatt

Postby JohnnyButcher » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks Tom - you've clearly invested in good quality hardware so I'd very interested in how it performs!
JohnnyButcher

Postby tdwimsatt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 pm

Johnny,

I tried the pedal with the Wah and Warmonator. They both worked successfully after going through the assign steps in the previous posts by IK Ryan. A couple of things to note:
1) To get full travel, follow the calibration steps also mentioned in the previous posts.
2) There is a knob on the side of the Moog pedal that sets the maximum value from the control. That is helpful in setting how far the Wah goes when pressing the pedal down fully.
3) The effect is not as smooth as an analog unit. I can hear a bit of digital stepping as I move the pedal. That would be expected given the nature of the tech but you should be aware. It may not be noticeable under a full band scenario as I am testing this in the quiet of my home.
Volume does not suffer as much from #3 as I usually set it and forget it. Kick up for solos and roll back for rhythm. May be an issue with swell effects but I use the Swell pedal for that and am plenty happy with that.
Tom Wimsatt
Just2PlayGuitar.com
tdwimsatt

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:12 pm

I would report #3 to IK Support as I reached out and asked the team here at IK if this should be noticeable and nobody feels it should be that noticeable (and I don't typically experience this and I usually use a pedal for wah most times). They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby tdwimsatt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Reported as instructed.
Tom Wimsatt
Just2PlayGuitar.com
tdwimsatt

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:56 am

tdwimsatt wrote:Reported as instructed.

Thanks! I hope my source was right in their deduction from the info I provided them and it gets sorted.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby JohnnyButcher » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the detailed reply - that's fantastic. I am going to invest in the necessary as I really want to make full use of the Wah. Unfortunately, whilst it's just finger controllable, it's not really much use.

I really appreciate you taking the time to test and post!

Kind regards,

Johnny
JohnnyButcher

Postby tdwimsatt » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:19 am

One more detail to consider if you currently have something like the CryBaby Wah: the travel of the expression pedal is much larger than a traditional Wah. The CryBaby,for example, has a very short travel compared to your typical volume pedal and this expression pedal. This will make for some interesting settings and additional effects range that you will not get with the usual Wah.
Tom Wimsatt
Just2PlayGuitar.com
tdwimsatt

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories