iRig Stomp I/O input too loud (clipping)

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

iRig Stomp I/O input too loud (clipping)

Postby rimco » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:38 pm

The Irig Stomp I/O is a very nice piece of hardware. However, there is one annoying issue that I can't get rid off. Even when turned to the minimum, the leds at the input gain knob could go red (clipping). I have contacted customer support, but they insist on a workaround to add additional hardware to lessen the input volume. But that's not how I believe this should work; the IRig Stomp I/O is sold as an all-in-one system so no need to turn down volume via additional devices. I want the input know on the IRig Stomp I/O to be able to deal with that. But unfortunately, it doesn't. Without any troubles I have been able to consistently reproduce the issue on 2 guitars: Gibson Les Paul Studio and Ibanez RG. When connected to my other devices the input is never too hot (sure it is a bit hot, but always lots of room before any kind of clipping).

Anyone that can help me please, as customer support does not even seem to read my input... :cry:
rimco

Re: iRig Stomp I/O input too loud (clipping)

Postby rimco » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Also, I can't help but wonder: am I the only one with this issue, or do more people experience this 'feature'?
Thanks for answering in advance!
rimco

Postby redroc.k » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:02 pm

That seems weird to me - not what the usual behavior should be.

I've been using a strat-style guitar with a humbucker in the bridge, and there are no issues at all with clipping the input.
redroc.k

Postby smcvey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 pm

I assume that the Les Paul is using passive pickups. How about the RG? I first thought maybe active pickups could be the issue.

Does the Gain knob have any impact at all? Maybe it is simply pegged or bypassed? (Faulty knob?)
smcvey

Postby ivarkoster » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:09 pm

I experience exaclty the same thing. I also have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Ibanez RG prestige. Both using passive pickups.

The only solution i had to leave enough headroom was to use the volume knob on the guitar. This is, of course, not desirable.

I've now ordered a cheap passive DI box (Behringer DI 400P) and will receive this tomorrow. If I read the internet correctly this should fix the problem.
ivarkoster

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:06 pm

You should not need that. Please work with support via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support (or continue to work with them if you already have a ticket open) and they will assist you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories