irig pro duo - NOISE problem ... phantom power

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

irig pro duo - NOISE problem ... phantom power

Postby ralphlentini2000 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm

hi, all - ima noooob, so please bear with me ...

anyone else experience performance and noise issues when using the 48v phantom power on BOTH the left and right channels? trying to figure out if my unit is broken or if this is normal?

to be clear, it doesn't sound like a ground loop issue ... it's a pop and a loud squeal and then a sputtering sound ...

if i only use phantom power on one channel (either the left or the right), and passive input on the other, the unit is DEAD quiet (one of the things i love about the irig).

any advice / help would be much appreciated!!!
ralphlentini2000

Re: irig pro duo - NOISE problem ... phantom power

Postby ralphlentini2000 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:22 am

I guess 49 views with no response means it is a dumb question? :( oh well ....
ralphlentini2000

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Since no users have chimed in, that means they probably do not have this issue and you'd be better served via official IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-sup ... -hardware/ where they can troubleshoot directly with you.

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby wadowada » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:12 am

I have the same issue. when the phantom power is on and I touch any cable or irig itself it makes a lot of noise
wadowada

Postby nwnosko » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:56 am

I have the same problem...when I touch or move the cable an annoying squeal happens when I try to use phantom power with a mic
nwnosko

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Since no users have chimed in, that means they probably do not have this issue and you'd be better served via official IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-sup ... -hardware/ where they can troubleshoot directly with you.

Thank you.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby denlia@comcast.net » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:44 am

Hi,

Today was the first time I tried my Irig Duo with condenser mics that use phantom power.

The reason I am posting this is because I have the exact same problem described in the subject post. Reported Feb 2018, then Dec 2019 and June 2020 ... I didn't see a resolution.

Using 2 condenser mics with phantom power: whistling noise that increases with input sound.
Using a condenser mic with phantom power on input 1 and dynamic mic on input 2: quiet...no noise.
Using a condenser mic with phantom power on input 2 and dynamic mic on input 1: quiet...no noise.

Doesn't make any difference with input level setting, headphone output level setting or main output level setting, using battery power or using external power adapter.

Peter_IK what do you recommend? ... other than don't use 2 condenser mics.
denlia@comcast.net

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:07 pm

That's not normal behavior, I'd suggest as I did above that you work with IK Support for direct and official technical support and I'm sure they will be able to assist you. Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Happyblissfully » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:32 pm

I am mystified with iRig pro duo and the included xlc mic with full charge AA batteries. No levels without phantom power but with phantom on as advised, just a ton of buzzing noise/feedback when into iPhone and iPad. firmware up to date. cords are fine. fine through my Mac usb. mystified, leaving for field recording in 14hrs. Or maybe not and then the group will be very very upset. HELP!
Happyblissfully

Postby denlia@comcast.net » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:25 am

Don't know if it will help with your interface, but what resolved the noise getting through the USB problem for me was to put a USB Hub between the Pro Duo and my MacBook Pro. Some how this isolated the noise from the Mac.
denlia@comcast.net

Postby Happyblissfully » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:44 am

Thanks Delia - appreciate that. I subsequently found it is a known issue from years ago - and likely the studio xlr mic IK shipped with, and that I am using, and makes the iRig entirely unusable in the field. Hoping IK will weigh in here and regardless of whether it is the IK mic or not, make it right with haste.
Happyblissfully

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories