Sampletank Live Mode MIDI Trigger - Blueboard and others?

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Sampletank Live Mode MIDI Trigger - Blueboard and others?

Postby richmn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Is it possible to toggle parts in Sampletank for iOS Live Mode using a MIDI controller?

I don't need to change which instrument is assigned, I just want to toggle each part on or off for use.

I am just learning about the Live Mode in Sampletank 2 for iOS. I also have an IK Blueboard as an external controller, along with other midi controllers. It would be great if I could toggle parts on and off based on assignment to my Blueboard foot controller. If you have suggestions on how to accomplish this I'd love to hear them. When I hit the Midi learn button it does not appear the parts in the Live Mode tiles can be selected.
richmn

Re: Sampletank Live Mode MIDI Trigger - Blueboard and others

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Hello!

Thanks for your post.

In SampleTank 2 for iOS. It is possible to change through different instruments or MULTI instruments in LIVE mode in a few different ways.

1) You can go to the LIVE mode and MIDI learn each instruments SOLO or MUTE options. These can be learned to different MIDI CC messages. To LEARN this control tap the MIDI Learn button which is just to the right of your MASTER volume parameter, then tap the SOLO (Headphone symbol) or MUTE (Speaker symbol with X displayed to the right) button. Once done, you can move the MIDI Knob, Slider, or button you wish to control this to LEARN this control.

2) In LIVE mode notice your MULTI list has numbers to the left of each MULTI instrument. These numbers correlate to the MIDI PC (Program Change) message assigned to this MULTI. Use the MIDI PC message associated with a MULTI instrument to recall this quickly.

If you need any extra help here, check out the User Manual in your app's Menu -> Help section or the downloadable version in your User Area -> My Products (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/). If after checking this User Manual out, you still have questions. Contact our support team at the link below. They should be more than happy to help here.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby hiltoncolin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Hello Ryan,

Many thanks for your post below. I too have the requirement in Live Mode to toggle on and off voices independently by using the IK iRig BlueBoard. For example have Piano mapped to the A switch, Celo mapped to the B switch, Trumpet mapped to the C switch etc. All running on MIDI channel 1 so that i can have multi-timbral sounds controlled from one keyboard selecting them live by foot.

I chose your option 1 below but experienced the following:

1. The MIDI learn behaviour was inconsistent. Sometimes it would learn the correct CC number sent from the BlueBoard switch but mostly it would recognise the transmission but default to assigning CC value 0.

2. Even when the MIDI learn was successful and the correct CC number displays for the function (eg Solo the instrument or Mute the instrument), it only displays the correct function when in learn mode. Once out of learn mode the function fails to display when triggered and fails to operate the command.

Has anyone experienced the same behaviour?

Is there a better way of achieving the requirement?

I've read another post where someone suggested using a Midiflow app but would like to know if I'm doing something wrong with the method described above before going down this route.

I must say it is astonishing that this basic voice selection functionality wasn't included in Sampletank iOS version 2.0.10 (8F20)

Best regards,
Colin

Ryan_IK wrote:Hello!

Thanks for your post.

In SampleTank 2 for iOS. It is possible to change through different instruments or MULTI instruments in LIVE mode in a few different ways.

1) You can go to the LIVE mode and MIDI learn each instruments SOLO or MUTE options. These can be learned to different MIDI CC messages. To LEARN this control tap the MIDI Learn button which is just to the right of your MASTER volume parameter, then tap the SOLO (Headphone symbol) or MUTE (Speaker symbol with X displayed to the right) button. Once done, you can move the MIDI Knob, Slider, or button you wish to control this to LEARN this control.

2) In LIVE mode notice your MULTI list has numbers to the left of each MULTI instrument. These numbers correlate to the MIDI PC (Program Change) message assigned to this MULTI. Use the MIDI PC message associated with a MULTI instrument to recall this quickly.

If you need any extra help here, check out the User Manual in your app's Menu -> Help section or the downloadable version in your User Area -> My Products (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/). If after checking this User Manual out, you still have questions. Contact our support team at the link below. They should be more than happy to help here.

Ryan_IK wrote:Hello!

Thanks for your post.

hiltoncolin

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:34 pm

hiltoncolin wrote:Hello Ryan,

Many thanks for your post below. I too have the requirement in Live Mode to toggle on and off voices independently by using the IK iRig BlueBoard. For example have Piano mapped to the A switch, Celo mapped to the B switch, Trumpet mapped to the C switch etc. All running on MIDI channel 1 so that i can have multi-timbral sounds controlled from one keyboard selecting them live by foot.

I chose your option 1 below but experienced the following:

1. The MIDI learn behaviour was inconsistent. Sometimes it would learn the correct CC number sent from the BlueBoard switch but mostly it would recognise the transmission but default to assigning CC value 0.

2. Even when the MIDI learn was successful and the correct CC number displays for the function (eg Solo the instrument or Mute the instrument), it only displays the correct function when in learn mode. Once out of learn mode the function fails to display when triggered and fails to operate the command.

Has anyone experienced the same behaviour?

Is there a better way of achieving the requirement?

I've read another post where someone suggested using a Midiflow app but would like to know if I'm doing something wrong with the method described above before going down this route.

I must say it is astonishing that this basic voice selection functionality wasn't included in Sampletank iOS version 2.0.10 (8F20)

Best regards,
Colin

Hey Colin,

While I'll pass along your comments and feedback on this topic to the correct persons. SampleTank 2 should allow for both the loading of MULTI instruments and the selection of individual instruments in these MULTI instruments.This is possible via MIDI as explained above with SOLO or MUTE, but you can also tap your parts. A quick single tap with enable/disable a part in Live mode and a double-tap will SOLO the instrument of your choice.

Now I do have to say both of these points sound unusual. For point 1, I would double check with IK Multimedia support. The MIDI learn feature should be consistent in behavior. For point 2, I would check this with support as well. Do note, in 'learn mode' I don't believe the control should function just yet, this should just be for assigning controls in SampleTank. Exit 'learn mode' to use any parameters learned to MIDI.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby hiltoncolin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:38 am

Many thanks for the swift reply Ryan,

I cant use the tap screen function to select instruments because I am using a wireless MIDI guitar and the iPhone is located on my peddle board out of arms reach - hence the desire to use iRig Blueboard foot control.

Regarding point 2, I have now completed many more tests and I may well have been still in learning mode when I initially experienced the failing operations.

Regarding point 1, I have now completed over 100 tests across two independent platforms and there is definitely something wrong here. I have uninstalled and re-installed all softeare on both test platforms. Same behaviour persists. Hopefully my update below will provide helpful additional information to your team. Please forward this to the experts you have referred to.

Best regards
Colin

UPDATE 11 SEP 2018
The new platform used is as follows:
Apple iPad 4 running iOS 11.4.1
Sampletank Ver 2.0.10
Blueboard Ver 1.0.4

The previous tests were performed on the following platform:
Apple iPhone 6 running iOS 11.4.1
Sampletank Ver 2.0.10
Blueboard Ver 1.0.4

Behaviour is the same for both platforms:
1. Sampletank fails to learn the CC commands sent from Blueboard.
2. When learning, Sampletank recognises the CC command sent but records a value of 0 rather than the value being sent from Blueboard.
3. This behaviour is inconsistent, Sampletank will suddenly learn the correct CC numbers being transmitted and store them. This is however rare and might happen on average once in every 20 attempts.
4. Contrary to my previous account, once the correct CC numbers have been learned Sampletank functions correctly and the functions operate consistently when triggered by the Blueboard.
5. This failure to learn appears to affect all learning functions within Sampletank not just the SOLO and MUTE buttons that i have been concentrating on.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the Sampletank and Blueboard software on both the iPhone and iPad platforms and the same behaviour persists on both test beds.

ENDS
hiltoncolin

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:00 pm

hiltoncolin wrote:Many thanks for the swift reply Ryan,

I cant use the tap screen function to select instruments because I am using a wireless MIDI guitar and the iPhone is located on my peddle board out of arms reach - hence the desire to use iRig Blueboard foot control.

Regarding point 2, I have now completed many more tests and I may well have been still in learning mode when I initially experienced the failing operations.

Regarding point 1, I have now completed over 100 tests across two independent platforms and there is definitely something wrong here. I have uninstalled and re-installed all softeare on both test platforms. Same behaviour persists. Hopefully my update below will provide helpful additional information to your team. Please forward this to the experts you have referred to.

Best regards
Colin

UPDATE 11 SEP 2018
The new platform used is as follows:
Apple iPad 4 running iOS 11.4.1
Sampletank Ver 2.0.10
Blueboard Ver 1.0.4

The previous tests were performed on the following platform:
Apple iPhone 6 running iOS 11.4.1
Sampletank Ver 2.0.10
Blueboard Ver 1.0.4

Behaviour is the same for both platforms:
1. Sampletank fails to learn the CC commands sent from Blueboard.
2. When learning, Sampletank recognises the CC command sent but records a value of 0 rather than the value being sent from Blueboard.
3. This behaviour is inconsistent, Sampletank will suddenly learn the correct CC numbers being transmitted and store them. This is however rare and might happen on average once in every 20 attempts.
4. Contrary to my previous account, once the correct CC numbers have been learned Sampletank functions correctly and the functions operate consistently when triggered by the Blueboard.
5. This failure to learn appears to affect all learning functions within Sampletank not just the SOLO and MUTE buttons that i have been concentrating on.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the Sampletank and Blueboard software on both the iPhone and iPad platforms and the same behaviour persists on both test beds.

ENDS

Hey Colin,

Thanks for your clarification and all the information.

I would suggest passing all of this information to the IK Multimedia Technical Support team. While I can help pass your feedback and concerns to the correct persons, this sounds like some unusual behavior our team may want to look into. They should be able to find a way to get you working here. Remember this forum is for user to user contact and not direct support.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

Note - Make sure to send them your iRig BlueBoard unit's sales receipt (or any proof of purchase) or the IK Multimedia account you used to register with your first email in case they need to look into your iRig BlueBoard unit's warranty. This should result in the quickest possible action.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby hiltoncolin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Thank you Ryan,

I raised the initial query on the user board to see if any other users were experiencing the same behaviour. As others had raised the same user requirement.

I raised a ticket with Technical Support prior to that. No reply yet.

Btw there's no obvious way to view or review a support ticket from within your IK user account. The user area support tab has no link to your tickets. Seems you have to go in via the email link sent when raised. Praps worth feeding back to the team!

Thanks again, Colin
hiltoncolin

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:39 pm

hiltoncolin wrote:Thank you Ryan,

I raised the initial query on the user board to see if any other users were experiencing the same behaviour. As others had raised the same user requirement.

I raised a ticket with Technical Support prior to that. No reply yet.

Btw there's no obvious way to view or review a support ticket from within your IK user account. The user area support tab has no link to your tickets. Seems you have to go in via the email link sent when raised. Praps worth feeding back to the team!

Thanks again, Colin

Thanks for letting me know you opened I ticket. I do see your ticket and it looks like this was opened on Sunday, a bit outside of office hours. This is most likely why the team has yet to get back to you yet. Please stay tuned for your reply, I let the team know about your issues and they should be getting back shortly.

Keep an eye out here for your ticket's status and I will be sure to pass along your feedback on the topic of how users check their ticket status.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories