iPhone 7 - no headphone jack- what now?

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

iPhone 7 - no headphone jack- what now?

Postby jothelute » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi!
Now it's confirmed, there's no headphone jack in the new iPhone 7.
Does anyone know, what IKMultimedia is planning ? Will there
be adapters do we have to buy new iRigs?
Greetings, Jo
jothelute

Re: iPhone 7 - no headphone jack- what now?

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:59 pm

For iRig interfaces that plug in to the headphone jack: We will test the adapter which appeared to be TRRS connection which is what iRig 2, iRig PRE, and similar use.

There are currently Lightning-connected audio interfaces, and in that case iRig Pro DUO would be the interface that provides discrete outputs.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Peter_IK wrote:For iRig interfaces that plug in to the headphone jack: IK will test the adapter which appeared to be TRRS connection which is what iRig 2, iRig PRE, and similar use.

There are currently Lightning-connected audio interfaces, and in that case iRig Pro DUO would be the interface that provides discrete outputs.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby runjim61 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:27 am

For the lightning only interfaces (iRig HD), can Bluetooth headphones be used, or are HD owners out of luck if they go to the iPhone 7?
runjim61

Postby Wilfredma » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:53 am

I have the same question as I have the HD and I am planning to upgrade to iPhone7.
Wilfredma

Postby jothelute » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:22 am

Belkin offers an adapter for $40 with two lightning jacks.
do you think this might work?
jothelute

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Bluetooth audio is not supported in AmpliTube and almost all audio apps due to the latency it introduces. I would not know about a third party adapter so that would need to be checked with the manufacturer of the adapter or any users that may purchase it. I will send the information to IK Support in case they might hear of anything or test it but note that nobody has the actual iPhone 7 to test anything yet.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jothelute » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks!
jothelute

Postby alexwall77 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:08 am

jothelute wrote:Belkin offers an adapter for $40 with two lightning jacks.

I'd like to know if this solution would work, so I'm reiterating this question.
alexwall77

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:39 am

alexwall77 wrote:
jothelute wrote:Belkin offers an adapter for $40 with two lightning jacks.

I'd like to know if this solution would work, so I'm reiterating this question.

Peter_IK wrote:I would not know about a third party adapter so that would need to be checked with the manufacturer of the adapter or any users that may purchase it. I will send the information to IK Support in case they might hear of anything or test it but note that nobody has the actual iPhone 7 to test anything yet.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby artetavn » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:44 pm

I am so disappointed. I bought Irig HD two months ago and now realized that it does not work with the new iphone. Moreover, now the Irig HD2 is released with the same 99$ price. I would have waited a bit to get the new one. :(
artetavn

Postby jothelute » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

I can feel with you!
We should try the Belkin Adapter first, maybe its
Lightning port is fully functional for the IRig HD.

By the way, the good old first IRig still works when you
use the apple lightning to headphone jack adapter....
jothelute

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:20 pm

jothelute wrote:I can feel with you!

Yes, that included adapter will work with iRig, iRig 2, iRig PRE, iRig Mic (any of the analog accessories that plug into the headphone jack) will work - we will have news on this soon.

We also know that Apple's Lightning Dock will work for iRig HD and similar. It has a Lightning port and a headphone output: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MGRM2 ... dock-white
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jbow » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:49 pm

I think you can forget any music production with Bluetooth involved. Bluetooth will introduce about 100ms is latency. There will have to be a solution that keeps everything wired for music production. Then there is charging over Lighting while trying to play MIDI or record guitar and a vocal. Apple just acquired "Beats" headphones. They are only thinking about the mass market consumer, not about peoplewho create or care about the quality of sound. I'm not sure if the future is bleak or if it holds promise. I'm guessing it will be like FireWire. It seemed like a good idea but USB 3.0 with backward compatibility has it beat. For now, I would not consider an iPhone 7 if I had any intention to produce music. I think Belkin may have a bulky solution with two lighting ports but I'm not sure if it addresses the iLoud problem. Next year if I upgrade, I'll be keeping my 6s Plus.
It's always something, huh?
JB
jbow

Postby jbow » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
jothelute wrote:I can feel with you!

Yes, that included adapter will work with iRig, iRig 2, iRig PRE, iRig Mic (any of the analog accessories that plug into the headphone jack) will work - we will have news on this soon.

We also know that Apple's Lightning Dock will work for iRig HD and similar. It has a Lightning port and a headphone output: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MGRM2 ... dock-white

... and iRIG PRO?? You didn't mention it.
OK, the Lightning Dock looks pretty good, looks like a solution. Apple is just sometime easy to not like. Maybe with this it will be ok, as long as you aren't truly mobile.
J
jbow

Next

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories