iPhone 7 - no headphone jack- what now?

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Re: iPhone 7 - no headphone jack- what now?

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 am

tibey44 wrote:I bought the Lightning dock, but I cant get it to work. I have the IRig Pro....is there a post or a link that can tell me how to set this up for my guitar?

You should be able to put the phone on the dock, then plug iRig into the Lightning port on the dock and go. If it isn't working like that for you please contact IK Support
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ericfigg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Hello there,
Why did Apple remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7?
Thanks in advance
ericfigg

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 pm

ericfigg wrote:Hello there,
Why did Apple remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7?
Thanks in advance

You would need to ask Apple that question :)
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Weepthegreed » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:31 am

To be clear, can you plug irig 2 into iPhone 7 with the Apple headphone adapter? And then use Bluetooth headphones?
Weepthegreed

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:13 am

Weepthegreed wrote:To be clear, can you plug irig 2 into iPhone 7 with the Apple headphone adapter?

Yes to this.
And then use Bluetooth headphones?

But no to this. Most music apps will not output via Bluetooth due to the latency introducred which would make real-time performance or recording an unsatisfactory experience.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jsanglier » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi, I have a similar problem with the iPad Pro 2017.

I have the iRig Pro i/o and that is fine since it has a headphone output.

But I have just bought iRig Keys. Like the iphone 7, the new ipad pro 12.9 has no headphone output.

iRig Keys doesn't work using the Apple/Belkin headphone/lightning splitter.

So, what is the solution for me?

It is a pity there is no Midi out on iRig Keys - that would solve the issue for me as I could plug it into the iRig Pro i/o.
jsanglier

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 pm

iRig Keys is meant to plug into the Lightning connector so if you'd want to use multiple devices (interface, MIDI controller, etc) you'd need to use a MIDI controller with 5-pin MIDI connectors.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jsanglier » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Peter_IK wrote:iRig Keys is meant to plug into the Lightning connector so if you'd want to use multiple devices (interface, MIDI controller, etc) you'd need to use a MIDI controller with 5-pin MIDI connectors.

So, basically, if I want to use iRig Keys with the ipad and monitor on headphones, I can't, right?

Sorry, Peter, but I have just spent over a hundred pounds via Amazon on this little keyboard so I can work on the road and not just in my studio.
jsanglier

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:48 pm

jsanglier wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:iRig Keys is meant to plug into the Lightning connector so if you'd want to use multiple devices (interface, MIDI controller, etc) you'd need to use a MIDI controller with 5-pin MIDI connectors.

So, basically, if I want to use iRig Keys with the iPad and monitor on headphones, I can't, right?

Sorry, Peter, but I have just spent over a hundred pounds via Amazon on this little keyboard so I can work on the road and not just in my studio.

You may be able to experiment with a USB hub and Camera Connection Kit but iRig Keys was not made as a standard 5-pin MIDI controller (just like many USB controllers no longer have 5-pin MIDI connectors). It was also created long before Apple decided to drop the headphone jack from their devices so currently a better option may be something like iRig Keys I/O.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jsanglier » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:58 pm

You may be able to experiment with a USB hub and Camera Connection Kit but iRig Keys was not made as a standard 5-pin MIDI controller (just like many USB controllers no longer have 5-pin MIDI connectors). It was also created long before Apple decided to drop the headphone jack from their devices so currently a better option may be something like iRig Keys I/O.[/quote]

But that just doubles up on the iRig Pro i/o out I have just bought!

I tried with the USB adapter, and although it does work, however, I still cannot plug in headphones as that leaves me a lightning connector. I user Beyerdynamic pro headphones.

Sorry, Peter, but I have just wasted a couple of hundred pounds, and I am not pleased.

I have been a professional composer and sound man in the industry for 40 years. I don't like throwing money away.
jsanglier

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 pm

If you purchased a product recently that is not what you needed, you may want to check the return policy of the dealer purchased from so you can get something designed to be used as a 5-pin MIDI controller. iRig Keys was not created for this purpose.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby guitarif » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:55 pm

I bought a camera connection kit (13$) There are 3 options on it (OTG, 3,5mm hp. input and lightning port for charging) All three options are working perfect at the same time.

Guitar < Irig pro (USB midi cable) < CC kit < iPhone 7 plus/Ipad air 2

Digital piano < CC kit < Iphone 7plus/Ipad air2

Arif
guitarif

Postby jjeaton » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:12 am

@guitarif, can you link to which CC kit you bought? I haven't been able to find an official one which includes 3,5mm input. Thanks!
jjeaton

Previous

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories