Arc Studio pin-outs, converters?

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

Arc Studio pin-outs, converters?

Postby Rikmorgan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:30 pm

I believe in order to use the box that came with ARC Studio, I'll need to buy some balanced-to-unbalanced converters to feed the 1/4" unbalanced inputs of my power amp. The user manual says to avoid transformers if possible, and use direct converters, whatever that is.

To avoid spending money on the wrong thing, could anyone suggest what to use, or provide the pin-outs for the ARC 4 box? They should include this info in the user manual.
Rikmorgan

Re: Arc Studio pin-outs, converters?

Postby Rikmorgan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:33 pm

Only been 2 days since I asked, so maybe needs more time, but I decided to double check the user guide to see if I misunderstood, and I think I might have. So I should at least correct what I said, that they recommend not using transformer-based inputs. Well, that was in the section where they were talking about hooking up the measurement mic to a pre-amp and said the pre-amp should be electronically balanced (transformer-less) because transformer-based designs color the sound too much. So they didn't say don't use them where you have to convert from balanced to unbalanced signals. But I would think it still holds and wish they would clarify this.

Incidentally I saw the previous post to mine was asking about the kind of cable to use and whether a simple XLR to TS cable would work? Then the poster pretty much killed the thread because he/she bought some active speakers to solve the issue. But the question still stands and is really the same question as mine, about what the appropriate way to convert the signals is.

I did a little research and saw that some people recommend if you want to make your own cables, that you tie either pin 2 or 3 to ground (pin 1), but I think that's a terrible idea. Are they seriously recommending to short a 48v supply (since there is 48v on both pins 2 and 3) to ground?

The only other non-transformer way I could see doing this would be to just let pin 2 or 3 float disconnected and take your signal from the other pin. But you lose the noise protection of a balanced line doing that, so that doesn't seem great.

Other people have recommended using a DI box in reverse, but to get a passive one so you aren't running down a battery all the time. I don't know how those work but imagine they have transformers if they're passive. Any input from IK Multimedia on whether I'm over thinking this transformerless thing would be great.
Rikmorgan

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools