IK Product Manager - space problem

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

IK Product Manager - space problem

Postby Optimothius1985 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:32 am

[Split from the IK Product Manager - tips thread for focus and clarity]
Hi there

Thanks for this [the IK Product Manager - tips thread]! I am brand new to IK and have just recently purchased the Total Studio 3.5 MAX.

The installation process is proving to be incredibly poor and overly complex and slow. I've had to start over twice and have spent a few hours a day over the last 3 days getting this going...I'm still not there! I've found several solutions on these forums so I'm very thankful for this community so far! :D

I wonder if there is any advice on this issue I'm having. I'm downloading sound files currently, however the Product Manager is telling there that there is 'not enough storage' to download the Philharmonik 2 files...I have around 840gb available on my hard drive. Any thoughts on this? The 'install' button now just refuses to work and I am truly pulling my hair out at this point!

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Optimothius1985

Re: IK Product Manager - space problem

Postby DarkStar » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:33 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As with other library installers you needs 2 areas on storage - one for the downloaded files and one for the installed sounds library.
-- by default, the folder used by the IKPM for the downloads is no your system disk (within "my Documents" on Windows),
-- by default, the sounds are also installed onto the system disk (somewhere in "Public Documents" I think)

So the system disk can fill up quickly.

But all is not lost
-- once you have installed a software product or sounds library, using the IK Product Manager ("IKPM") you can delete the downloaded files
-- before deleting the download files, back up the sounds library downloads to an external disk, so that you will not need to download them again if you need to reinstall (and you would avoid the Downloads Reactivation fee)
-- you can change the folder used by the IKPM for downloads, in IKPM's Preference Settingd (and there's a User Manual available too)
-- you can change the folder used for the installed library (before installing the library) by running the stand-alone program (e.g. SampleTank) and changing its Preference Settings OR by selecting "More options", then "Install to" in the IKPM
-- and, even after installation of a sounds library, you can move it completely to another disk, then change the folder path in the program's Preference Settings.

I have replied to other users here about TS3.5MAX installation so have a look at those threads for more details.

-------------------------------
If / when you run into problems please post back here for more help. But, to avoid us guessing or leading you down the wrong path, let us know what you have done so far, where the download files and installed libraries are, what specific problem() you have run into.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Optimothius1985 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:54 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply and for moving this thread to a better spot!

I believe so far I’ve done most of your advice; here is my current situation:

- registered my product
- downloaded and installed the software (ie SampleTank 4, Syntronik etc)
- deleted the dmg files to save space (I’m on Mac)
- opened the programs and set the paths for where I will be downloading the sounds to, which is my external HDD, using a copy of the IK Mutlimedia file structure to maintain the exact layout of this
- begun downloading the sounds, setting the install destination to my external drive (it has around 850gb of free space) where I’ve put the copy of the IK multimedia file
- 4 or 5 of the sounds files have downloaded and installed successfully, all of which are around 1-4gb in size
- I then attempted to download the files for Philharmonik but they fail as the IKPM is stating I do not have sufficient storage

I have many more files to download but based on this, I’m not going to be able to.

Are you saying that even though I choose a specific install destination which is my external drive, it will also download the install files to my main HDD? Does the IKPM then unpack these to the requested install location but leaves the download files on my internal HDD? I’ve checked the capacity and all the drives I have, have plenty of storage space.

Would you know where exactly these would be on a Mac? I’ve checked where I THINK this is, but the folders appear to be empty or indeed very small…?
Optimothius1985

Postby DarkStar » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:50 pm

That is good info to supply; that helps understand your circumstances. :)

Are you saying that even though I choose a specific install destination which is my external drive, it will also download the install files to my main HDD? Does the IKPM then unpack these to the requested install location but leaves the download files on my internal HDD? I’ve checked the capacity and all the drives I have, have plenty of storage space.

Not quite:
- In the programs you choose the location into which the sounds library will be INSTALLED.
-- In the IKPM you choose the location into which the sounds library will be DOWNLOADED.

It sounds like you have not yet set the downloads folder to be used by the IKPM, so that is still on your system disk. And, after successful of a sound library, the downloaded files have not been backed up and then removed. The folders that you specify in the various programs (SampleTank 4 etc) are the destination for the installed libraries, not the downloads.

The Preference Settings in IKPM will show you which folder is used for the downloads.

I reckon that the software installers may create place-holder folders for the sounds library. For example, on Windows here, in C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools