Re-Installing Sounds library on external SSD

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

Re-Installing Sounds library on external SSD

Postby edgarsrakovskis » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:55 am

Hi, I am having a hard time reinstalling my sounds and placing them on an external SSD.
Downloaded all the sounds from the internet (not IK Product manager), placed them onto the external drive, tried to install them - "installation failed, please press re-open". Pressed re-open - the same. Several questions:

1) I did a mistake downloading the sounds outside the IK Product Manager, didn't I? Should I re-download and re-install everything within the IK Product manager?
2) how to arrange that all the heavy sounds' files are stored in the outside SSD?

Looking forward to your help. Thanks a lot in advance.
edgarsrakovskis

Re: Re-Installing Sounds library on external SSD

Postby DarkStar » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:27 am

[Please note that I have changed the thread title as you are asking about the sounds library rather than the VST plug-in itself.]

You should be able to install the sounds onto an external SSD. Either individually or using the IKPM. if you try the IKPM you do NOT need to download them again - check out the IKPM User Manual and the "IKPM Tips" thread.

I do not know about that error message. Tech Support can help you with that.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby edgarsrakovskis » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:39 am

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I gave this forum a shot as contacting the IK Support so far has taken me 2-4 weeks to get a "no, this can not be done" response.

Okay, I should be able to install everything as I have it now on my SSD; so, I will not delete these files and re-download/install everything once again. Jumping to that IKPM Tips thread.
edgarsrakovskis

Postby DarkStar » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:15 pm

I would reply to Support and ask what the problem is with installing to an external disk. I would not think that SSDs are any different form hard disk drives in this respect.

None of my sounds libraries are on the same physical disk as the OS.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby edgarsrakovskis » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:23 pm

It should not be a problem to keep sounds on an external disk, yes.
Reading the IKPM manual now.
However, the deeper I dig, the more confusing everything gets.. I just realized that I do not see everything in the IKPM that I think I should see there. Or maybe I do not need to see those things there?!.. For instance, I see the SampleTank 3 Total Studio MAX 2 product on my IK Profile when I open it via the ikmutimedia.com, however, I do not see it in my IKPM app. And this is happening with several products.

I guess the best thing would be to delete and reinstall everything from scratch. Otherwise I feel truly lost within everything what is showing up as unauthorized, installed, not installed etc..
edgarsrakovskis

Postby DarkStar » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:53 pm

Total Studio MAX 2 is a big bundle of products. How many Serial numbers did you get? one for the bundle or one for each product?

In the IKPM, each individual product should be listed so that you can install them one at a time.

As that seems not to be the case, please contact Sales/Account Support, via here. You will be able to search the FAQs first, but if they do not resolve your issue, there is a red button link to the Support form. Sales Support can look at your Account and see what's going on. Response time aims to be within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

Administrators and Moderators here cannot access your Account.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby edgarsrakovskis » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:09 pm

Thanks you, sir; I will definitely contact support about this. I copied the info I see on both sides. Marked out these MAX type of products I have. Maybe you can advise am I seeing everything I need to see? Please excuse the confusion; I am just trying to pull everything together after re-installing the external drives and putting back all sounds.

The WEB dashboard shows these products

Syntronik 2 CS
MODO DRUM CS
SampleTank MAX

T-RackS 5 Master Match
T-RackS 5 Sunset Sound Studio Reverb
AmpliTube 5 Custom Shop
Syntronik Memory-V
T-RackS Classic Clipper
SampleTank Editor BETA
SampleTank 4 CS
Syntronik Pro-V
T-RackS CS Deluxe
Syntronik
Lurssen Mastering Console
MODO BASS
SampleTank 3
Miroslav Philharmonik 2
T-RackS 5 Total Studio MAX 2

Spaceport 77
AmpliTube 4 Total Studio MAX 2

SampleTank 4 SE
SampleTank 3 Total Studio MAX 2

Total Studio 2 MAX

SampleTank 3
AmpliTube MAX

T-RackS MAX
SampleTank MAX

Miroslav Philharmonik 2
AmpliTube Custom Shop
T-RackS 5 Custom Shop
Miroslav Philharmonik 2 Classik Edition
AmpliTube Custom Shop
Syntronik Free
SampleTank FREE
SampleTank Custom Shop
Miroslav Philharmonik Classik Edition
AmpliTube 3 Custom Shop
T-RackS Custom Shop

IKPM SOFTWARE tab is showing me this:

AmpliTube 4
AmpliTube 5
Lurssen Mastering Console
Miroslav Philharmonik 2
MODO BASS
MODO DRUM
SampleTank 4
Syntronik
Syntronik 2
T-Racks 5

IKPM SOUNDS Tab is showing this:

Miroslav Philharmonik 2
Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE
SampleTank 4 CS
SampleTank 4 SE
Spaceport 77
Syntronik
Syntronik 2 CS
Syntronik 99
Syntronik Blau
Syntronik Bully
Syntronik DCO-X
Syntronik Galaxy
Syntronik Harpy 260
Syntronik J-60
Syntronik J-8
Syntronik Memory-V
Syntronik Minimod
Syntronik Noir
Syntronik OXa
Syntronik Polymorph
Syntronik Pro-V
Syntronik SAM
Syntronik String Box
Syntronik T-03
Syntronik V-80
edgarsrakovskis

Postby DarkStar » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:35 pm

Now I'm confused too :) (why are some underlined?)

Sales/Account Support will give you the best info.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby edgarsrakovskis » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:39 pm

That unnecessary underline is because I have fat fingers :)
I already submitted the ticket; looking forward to hearing back.

P.s. What I found out - that part that I am not seeing anywhere in the IKPM or ikmultimedia.com, I found on Custom Shop dashboard! So... IKPM, ikmultimeia.com and Custom Shop - everything is split among 3 instances?!.. Why? :) This is more rhetorical question, however, described my utmost confusion so well! Because until now I had forgotten that there is such thing as Custom Shop. Accidentally located and opened it and voila! - almost all missing products are listed there!..
edgarsrakovskis

Postby DDContact » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:47 am

TWO questions...

1. HOW do you correctly install sound library to external SSD (first application install)?
2. How do you move existing sound/content library from internal MAC to external SSD (after first install)?

I just purchased Total Studio 3.5 MAX and there's over 400GB of content data! I always install / run application data from Internal MAC Drive. I only need/want sound library (content data) saved and running off my external SSD (to save space and for large sound/content files).

Please clarify...

DarkStar wrote:I would reply to Support and ask what the problem is with installing to an external disk. I would not think that SSDs are any different form hard disk drives in this respect.

[color=#FF0000]None of my sounds libraries are on the same physical disk as the OS[/color].
DDContact

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:53 pm

1 Install the software products first, run the stand-alone programs and set the desired library path in the Preference Settings.
OR
When installing the sounds library sing the IKPM, select "...More options", then "Install to ... " and select the desired folder.

2 Move the complete libraries, then run the stand-alone programs and set the new library path in the Preference Settings.

Note that the IKPM uses a (specifiable) folder for the downloads, then each installer installs the sounds into another (specifiable) folder. So you need twice the disk space, temporarily. After successful installation of a sounds library, back up the downloaded files so, if you ever need them again, you will not need to download them again.

Clarification: I have 3 hard disk drives: the operating system is one one, the sounds libraries are on the other two.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby DDContact » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:48 pm

Thanks Dark Star... appreciate the follow-up. I figured it was pretty straightforward but just wanted to get some clarification. I'm fairly new to using software for playing / recording (believe it or not). I've recently got back into it as I used to be quite involved in the stage & studio world in my 20s (early 80's) when we actually had to buy hardware. Can't believe what I now get with the click of a button as far as studio and playing gear. Having way too much fun!
If I only had all this when I was 20 :-)

Thanks again for the response and info.
Blessings & great music in 2023
DDContact

Postby DDContact » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:01 am

Follow-up Question to your previous answer (quote below)...

1. Where do I find "the complete libraries" that are already installed on my MAC Drive? How do I properly move them?
2. In the IKPM, if I select "Install to...my external SSD" does it only install the "sound/content library" to external SSD? I want to make sure related software product (standalone) is installed on my MAC SSD and sound/content library on external SSD.
3. How can I be sure the correct "Sounds Library" on external SSD is associated with correct "Software Product" already installed on MAC SSD?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. Wish IKPM made it easier to move / install sound library on another drive (i.e. like Logic and Arturia).

Appreciate your reply
DD

DarkStar wrote:1 Install the software products first, run the stand-alone programs and set the desired library path in the Preference Settings.
OR
When installing the sounds library sing the IKPM, select "...More options", then "Install to ... " and select the desired folder.

2 Move the complete libraries, then run the stand-alone programs and set the new library path in the Preference Settings.

Note that the IKPM uses a (specifiable) folder for the downloads, then each installer installs the sounds into another (specifiable) folder. So you need twice the disk space, temporarily. After successful installation of a sounds library, back up the downloaded files so, if you ever need them again, you will not need to download them again.

Clarification: I have 3 hard disk drives: the operating system is one one, the sounds libraries are on the other two.
DDContact

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:54 am

A1: Search your whole system (all disks and folders) for folders named "instruments". If their contents looks like IK Multimedia instruments, the the folder containing the "Instruments" folder (and "Samples" folder and other things) is the folder that you want

A2: "Install to ..." only installs the sounds library; iit does not affect the software.

A3: In each software product's Preference Settings, select the correct sound library folder. The details depend on what you have installed and where each sound library is installed. You may wish to look at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1239
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Igorshmigor1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:09 pm

I've installed some of the sounds on internal, some on external drive. If I understand you correctly, it's safe to just move all instruments and samples folders from internal to external. As long as the software knows where to look for instruments, it will automatically detect the samples that are relevant for the software and rebuild its database after moving the sounds from internal to external, am I right?
Igorshmigor1

Next

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools