Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby nicola.giovinazzi » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:35 pm

Hi everybody,

As per title, I own and use Total Studio 2 Max for all my production needs at the moment. I make music on an old 2012 15" MacBook Pro that is of course showing its age and I already have a MacBook Pro 13" M1 that will take its place for everything related to music production.

I have considered upgrading from Total Studio 2 Max to Total Studio 3.5 Max but the reason why I haven't pulled the trigger yet is that I can't seem to find any clear info about Apple Silicon M1 compatibility.

I searched the forums and saw somebody saying that Modo Drum runs natively on Apple Silicon M1 but the product page for Modo Drum doesn't even mention Apple Silicon in the System Requirements. The information seems to be too fragmented.

Is there a list of IK Multimedia plug-ins that run natively on Apple Silicon? I am not interested in Rosetta 2 compatibility.
nicola.giovinazzi
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:53 pm

This FAQ lists the M1 native software and what runs well via Rosetta on M1 Macs (all Total Studio 3.5 MAX products are either M1 native or run well using Rosetta, but please see the FAQ for more details): https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1412
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
User avatar
Peter_IK
Kingpin
 
Posts: 18043
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby nicola.giovinazzi » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:05 pm

Peter_IK wrote:This FAQ lists the M1 native software and what runs well via Rosetta on M1 Macs (all Total Studio 3.5 MAX products are either M1 native or run well using Rosetta, but please see the FAQ for more details): https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1412


I'll bookmark that list and check it from time to time to see any progress being made and eventually make up my mind. AmpliTube, Modo Bass, T-RackS, Lurssen Mastering Console and Miroslav Philharmonik are unfortunately a deal breaker for me right now.

Thanks a lot for the info, Peter!
nicola.giovinazzi
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:08 pm

They all run 100% on M1 Macs without issue. You wouldn't know they were running under Rosetta unless you specifically looked :)
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
User avatar
Peter_IK
Kingpin
 
Posts: 18043
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby nicola.giovinazzi » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:30 pm

Peter_IK wrote:They all run 100% on M1 Macs without issue. You wouldn't know they were running under Rosetta unless you specifically looked :)


Doesn't that mean that I will have to run Logic Pro in Rosetta mode?

Here is a specific case scenario:

I am running Logic Pro in native Apple Silicon mode so I can use all the Apple Silicon native Audio Units (for example Modo Drum and Syntronik 2). Let's say I want to add a bass line so I create a new instrument track and load Modo Bass. Is Modo Bass going to run under Rosetta while Modo Drum and Syntronik 2 run natively or do I have to run Logic Pro in Rosetta mode to use the plugins that are not Apple Silicon native yet?
nicola.giovinazzi
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby nicola.giovinazzi » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:33 pm

^^^^
Anyone?
nicola.giovinazzi
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby DarkStar » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:59 pm

As no Logic Pro users have chipped in, the best thing to do is Search the FAQs first, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a red button link to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help.

Response time aims to be within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem. Please do not quote directly any correspondence from Support, as that may apply only to your particular circumstances and may lead others down the wrong track.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
User avatar
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)
 
Posts: 7737
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby nicola.giovinazzi » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi DarkStar, thanks for your reply.

I raised a ticket with Support as the FAQ section doesn't contain any useful information for the specific case scenario I mentioned in one of my previous messages. I was hoping for Peter_IK or anyone else from IK to answer my question here on the forums as I believe that many people would be interested in this specific subject regardless of the DAW they use.
nicola.giovinazzi
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:41 pm

I am not a tech support rep nor do I run Logic so I wouldn't really have the answers for you. I'm sure IK Support can help much better than I can.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
User avatar
Peter_IK
Kingpin
 
Posts: 18043
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby garfy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:56 pm

nicola.giovinazzi wrote:I am running Logic Pro in native Apple Silicon mode so I can use all the Apple Silicon native Audio Units (for example Modo Drum and Syntronik 2). Let's say I want to add a bass line so I create a new instrument track and load Modo Bass. Is Modo Bass going to run under Rosetta while Modo Drum and Syntronik 2 run natively or do I have to run Logic Pro in Rosetta mode to use the plugins that are not Apple Silicon native yet?


Must've missed this thread when it was first posted...

To run any non-M1 plugins within Logic Pro, you have to open LP in Rosetta mode to begin with and all plugins in the project will then run under Rosetta. It won't allow a combination of native and non-native I'm afraid, it has to be one or the other.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Comfy chair, UK

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby nicola.giovinazzi » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:12 pm

garfy wrote:
nicola.giovinazzi wrote:I am running Logic Pro in native Apple Silicon mode so I can use all the Apple Silicon native Audio Units (for example Modo Drum and Syntronik 2). Let's say I want to add a bass line so I create a new instrument track and load Modo Bass. Is Modo Bass going to run under Rosetta while Modo Drum and Syntronik 2 run natively or do I have to run Logic Pro in Rosetta mode to use the plugins that are not Apple Silicon native yet?


Must've missed this thread when it was first posted...

To run any non-M1 plugins within Logic Pro, you have to open LP in Rosetta mode to begin with and all plugins in the project will then run under Rosetta. It won't allow a combination of native and non-native I'm afraid, it has to be one or the other.


Thank you garfy. I've been doing some research and it seems that it should be possible to run both native and Rosetta plugins in the same session. If what you say is true, then it won't make sense for me to upgrade to Total Studio 3.5 Max because I will need to run all plugins in Rosetta mode anyway, even those that are already running natively on Apple Silicon.

I'll post an update after Support gets back to me.
nicola.giovinazzi
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby garfy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:10 pm

Sorry, maybe I didn't word that quite right..

Rosetta 2 is a translator that makes software written for Intel-based machines compatible with M1 (Silicon) machines.

If you open LP in Rosetta then native and M1 compatible plugins should work side by side quite happily. I guess native plugins are technically not running in Rosetta themselves.

Although I can't speak from personal experience, I have read of good outcomes from using LP in Rosetta with minimal, if any, noticeable differences from running an all native system. There are still some plugins from other manufacturers that may have problems even using Rosetta, but IKM are not on that list.

garfy wrote:It won't allow a combination of native and non-native I'm afraid, it has to be one or the other.


I think that was the badly written line of mine. Basically:

LP in Rosetta mode = native and M1 compatible will run together.
LP in native mode = only native will run.

As you already have the M1 Mac and TS2MAX, you have MODO Bass and, if it is uptodate then it must be the M1 compatible version. Maybe you could set up a test project in LP running in Rosetta with some native plugins and then instantiate MODO Bass to see how it runs.

Hope that clarifies.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Comfy chair, UK

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby nicola.giovinazzi » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:00 pm

garfy wrote:
garfy wrote:It won't allow a combination of native and non-native I'm afraid, it has to be one or the other.


I think that was the badly written line of mine. Basically:

LP in Rosetta mode = native and M1 compatible will run together.
LP in native mode = only native will run.



I asked this exact question to Support and they got back to me saying that they don't have an answer to that so I will just wait for IK to make everything Apple Silicon native hopefully in the next version of Total Studio Max. Thanks everybody for your contributions to this thread.
nicola.giovinazzi
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Looking for clarification coming from Total Studio 2 Max

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:31 pm

The new SampleTron 2 update adds M1 native compatibility (as well as new sounds - for free to those who have SampleTron 2) and IK states this is another step toward having all of Total Studio 3.5 MAX M1 native. I also know that AmpliTube 5 M1 native version is also being worked on.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
User avatar
Peter_IK
Kingpin
 
Posts: 18043
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: Everywhere


Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools