mixing mastering with ARC 3 misunderstanding

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

mixing mastering with ARC 3 misunderstanding

Postby mark@vulturesound.com » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:14 pm

Hello, I'm a casual sound engineer. I got the ARC3 with mems mic recently out of a deep curiosity. But I think I have a misunderstanding of what its is, in terms of its application of use. My understanding is that you use it as correctional EQ on your final master bus to compensate for the room discrepancies.

Here is what I did, please let me know if this is correct or not:

1: Install software and got my room measurement profile
2: mixed an entire song with the ARC3 inserted in the last stage on the master output.
3: Started adding mastering Inserts (Eq, multiband comp, etc, with L2 at -0.3 db limiter w/dither)

4: Now the manual says to turn off ARC3 before exporting/bouncing the mixdown.

Here is the issue. Turning off ARC changes the entire songs EQ structure and adjusting the ARC3 trim knob to 0db, limits the correctional EQ headroom.

Question: Is this not how I'm suppose to be using this software? or should I add the final L2 limiter after ARC to compensate for the volume change.

Thanks in advance
mark@vulturesound.com

Re: mixing mastering with ARC 3 misunderstanding

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:15 pm

ARC should be last in your chain. You definitely need to disable it when you export your mix/master.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools