IK Product Manager - tips

IK Product Manager, Lurssen Mastering Console, CSR (Classik Studio Reverb), and acoustic correction system ARC (Advanced Room Correction) System

IK Product Manager - tips

Postby DarkStar » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:49 pm

This may help new users of the IK Product Manager ("IKPM"):
  • The IKPM uses a specified folder for storing the downloaded files; the install destination depends on the individual installers.
  • The downloads / installs of the software and the Sounds Libraries are on separate tabs in the IKPM.
  • Before you download anything, go to Settings and select the desired folder for the downloads.
  • Before you download and install any Sound Library, click ... More options > Install to... to and select the destination folder (e.g. L:/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4).
    Note that this path includes the product's name; the library is installed into that folder.
  • Or, install the software first, run the stand-alone program and set the destination folder in the software's Preference Settings. That location should then be picked up automatically when the IKPM installs the Sounds Library.
  • Download/install one software product at a time.
  • Download/install one Sounds Library file at a time.
  • Keep a back-up copy of the Sounds Library downloads (on a separate, unpluggable disk) so you do not need to download them again.
  • After successful installation you can delete the appropriate download files from the downloads folder to free up space.
in the IKPM, click the [?} button then "Manual" and it will open the IKPM user manual.

Note 1:
In the Software section of IKPM, the big icons and product name (e.g. AmpliTube 5) are for all of the different products in the product family. Click the [Products] tabs to see exactly which (AT5) products are Registered / Authorised.

Note 2 (thanks to darrena):
On OSX (Ventura 13.1), some older installers (such as the ones for SampleTank 3 sound sets) crash when run from the IKPM. If you're installing from IK PM you must enable Full Disk Access for Product Manager in your Mac's Privacy & Security settings. Only then can you install this content without a crash.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: IK Product Manager - tips

Postby banda.metalurgica@gmail.c » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:27 am

Hi Dark Star,
thanks for the tips!
I just changed the disk of my computers to SSD. So, I needed to reinstall everything from scratch. After installing IK PM I realized that my activations do not update back to 10... is this the normal behavior? ok, 10 are plenty of activations, but If I need, for any reason, to reinstall my OS, I will be losing activations...

thanks for the dark light!

cheers!

JL
banda.metalurgica@gmail.c

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Yes, that is normal behaviour. For all the Authorization system knows, it could be a completely different system. Anyway, you probably have plenty left. And if you do get down to zero, all things being reasonable, Support will reset them back to 10.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby banda.metalurgica@gmail.c » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:09 am

Thank you Dark Star!
that's make a lot of sense!
banda.metalurgica@gmail.c

Postby mattgoulet » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:45 pm

Thanks for the tips!
mattgoulet

Postby trotefazy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:24 am

Big thanks!
trotefazy

Postby jm345 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:39 pm

"Before you download anything, go to Settings and select the desired folder for the downloads"

Does this apply for downloading the apps/programs and the sounds, or just the apps/programs?
jm345

Postby DarkStar » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:43 pm

Everything. But you can change it at any time (as long as no downloads are in progress).
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Re: Authorizing older products

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:16 am

I thought that it would be useful to add this here:

Some old products cannot be downloaded / authorized using the IKPM. You can download these products from your User Area / My Products and you can Authorize them by following these steps:
tom_hansen wrote:1. Download the Authorization Manager (you don't need IK Product Manager!), there still is a version for macOS older than 10.9.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/a ... php?p=info

2. Start the program and authorize your product via serial number

3. New authorization appears in your account User Area / My Products, it has a new Digital ID and a new Authorization Code

4. Start your IK product and run its "Authorization Wizard", select "Use existing Authorization Code", replace the old with the new one.

5. Finish

From: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31488
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby darrena » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:26 pm

DarkStar wrote:This may help new users of the IK Product Manager ("IKPM"):

Thanks DarkStar. I just bought MAX 3.5 and will be following all of your tips for the download and install process. Based on your tips, I can see you're on a PC.

For those who have done this on a Mac, any OS-specific tips?
darrena

Postby darrena » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:00 am

Ok, I've found out a few things the hard way:

1. I you do choose the "Install to..." folder, it's not a great idea to just point the sound installer to your IK Multimedia folder. I realized after doing this for quite a few libraries, that they don't neatly install into subdirectories for their products (e.g., /SampleTank 4/) and you will get a mess of content. I ended up blowing away a lot of it and reinstalling to the default locations which I believe on a Mac is /user/shared/IK Multimedia/<app name>, so I'd say unless you're really particular on where these sounds go, you may want to stick with the default on the Mac.

2. If you're running Ventura, IK Product Manager will crash and fail when trying to install sounds unless you give it full disk access. This is in Privacy & Security in the OS settings.

3. It appears that IK Product Manager does the content installation for sounds directly, unlike the installation of apps/plugins, which it does by launching those apps and plugins. This is important because, like IK Product Manager, many of the older content installers you can download directly in the My Products area on the web will also crash on Ventura.
darrena

Postby smrybacki59 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:55 pm

Great OP, thanks.

Question: Is it safe to delete the downloaded files from the "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\IK Multimedia\IK Product Manager" folder once they're installed?

They take up a TON of space, and I've installed all my Sound Libraries on another spacious drive.

Thanks in advance!
smrybacki59

Postby DarkStar » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:18 pm

I would copy the big sounds library downloads to an archive disk first - in case you need to reinstall them - having a copy avoid the download times and a Downloads Reactivation fee.

After that those files can be deleted.

PS You could always point the IKPM "downloads" folder preference to another disk (maybe even to an archive disk). Future downloads would go there and be installed from there.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby smrybacki59 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:27 pm

DarkStar wrote:I would copy the big sounds library downloads to an archive disk first - in case you need to reinstall them - having a copy avoid the download times and a Downloads Reactivation fee.

After that those files can be deleted.

PS You could always point the IKPM "downloads" folder preference to another disk (maybe even to an archive disk). Future downloads would go there and be installed from there.

Great ideas! I have an older, slower HDD dedicated to stuff just like this :)

Thanks @DarkStar
smrybacki59

Return to Other Music Production Software & Tools