Multi-Procerssor (CPU) Usage/Issues Use Across DAWs

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Multi-Procerssor (CPU) Usage/Issues Use Across DAWs

Postby imdrecordings » Tue May 13, 2014 6:17 am

Hi all,

I did some testing with the IK plugs (EQ432, british channel, bus comp) and I noticed the instance count was very low in PT11,10 and Cubase 7.X. At first I just thought these plugs just demand more from my machine, but I found that for some reason the IK plugs are primarily using only 2 of the 8 cores on my MacPro, using Mavericks 10.9.2. Once those are maxed my session come to a halt and the main meters in any DAW are maxed, even though my computer still has plenty of headroom. Can anyone speak to the poor multithreading with IK plugs? As a side note, I tried other thirdparty party plugs like the Avid plugs or Plugin Alliance and they didn't behave this way. Instead, they balanced their load evenly across all cores. The only plugins that displayed similar behavior as my IK plugs was iZotope's Ozone 5. All of my plugins are up to date and enabling or disabling oversampling made no difference. Testing sessions were at 48k/24bit and ranged from 64-1024 buffer using a Steinberg MR816X FW interface.

Thanks!

-Scott
imdrecordings

Re: Multi-Procerssor (CPU) Usage/Issues Use Across DAWs

Postby Obitheincredible » Tue May 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Please contact support so we can take a look at this a bit more in depth.
Obitheincredible
1K Club

Postby imdrecordings » Wed May 14, 2014 12:09 am

Absolutely!

I'm also curious what other users are experiencing

Thanks
-Scott
imdrecordings

Postby kleinholgi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Just did a quick test inside TRacks and threw everything at it I have on the 8 slots, mostly the Fairchild emulation, Opto, Brickwall , CSR and Linear Phase EQ.
Although I only have an old Intel QuadCore I never came above 18 %.
I agree with you, that the distribution between the cores was not even. Most of the work was done on one core and a little bit was routed to a second. The other ones were near zero, but that may be due to the overall low CPU power needed for these plug ins. So maybe that´s built into the Intel power conservation scheme anyway to keep additional cores low as long as they are not badly needed.

Of course if your application asks for heavier processing power, the other ones shall come in.
And that´s were plug in programming and compatibility kick in.

Unfortunately I can´t test with the British channel. Maybe I could give it a try with a demo.

Greetz
kh
kleinholgi

Postby kleinholgi » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:07 am

Did the test with the demo of the British channel, now in Cubase (V5).

I agree, that if you load many British channels ( tried with up to 7), they seem to rest mainly on two cores.

It is hard to do a perfect analysis, because in my song template, there are a few other VSTs working, but the more VST effects I exchange to throw in British channels, the more CPU power is routed in a compact way to one or two cores.

I think this may be a problem, in case you want to emulate a whole console and put the plug in on every channel. Otherwise it may get balanced out by other stuff going on.
kleinholgi

Postby 4edawg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:21 am

Yes Scott I am noticing a large CPU usage from my T-racks Plugins.

The uneven core usage might be explained if you're placing all the plugins on a single track, master or Aux, as it's been explained to me, they will all use the same CPU core if processing the same audio stream, for PT11 at least.

My issue is using T-racks CS on my master seems to have jumped in its CPU usage between versions. I have an album of mixes from 6 months ago which for some reason I cannot play now without CPU spikes and errors, on the highest HW buffer size. If I disable T-racks the total CPU load drops between 40-50%. Currently running Mavericks but went back to 10.8 but that didn't solve it. Hoping that if I go back a version it will allow me to play these sessions again. Need to do more experimenting and lodge a support request but something has changed in the last 6 months (t-racks prefs haven't changed either) .

Forrester
4edawg

Postby Obitheincredible » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:54 am

Definitely contact our support so we can look into it more.
Obitheincredible
1K Club

Postby anggerdimas » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:34 pm

have the same issues here - i think it doesn't make any sense that single TR5 CC uses 40% of my FLS memory

please fix this
anggerdimas

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:49 pm

anggerdimas wrote:have the same issues here - i think it doesn't make any sense that single TR5 CC uses 40% of my FLS memory

please fix this

This is not the typical experience. Please report your issue to IK Support and they will troubleshoot directly with you and help resolve the issue you are experiencing.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox