Mixbox Artist Presets Do Not Appear

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Mixbox Artist Presets Do Not Appear

Postby gtbouts » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:43 pm

I've installed Mixbox and the standard presets load, however, the Artists Presets do not appear in the preset box. I've unzipped the files and put them in the correct location according to the install instructions. Loos like theis uissue was raised previously but I could find a resolution.

C:\Users\*USER*\Documents\IK Multimedia\MixBox\Rack Presets

When I navigate to this directory on my system the file folders are there (i.e. Signature Presets Jakob Haq) and under each are the approriate directories for Bass, Synth, Spaces, etc.

I've installed MixBox twice, ran it inside my DAW (Reaper) VSTi and VST3i, and standalone. Not sure what else I need to do.

Am I missing something obvious?
Thank in advance.
gtbouts

Re: Mixbox Artist Presets Do Not Appear

Postby Steve-xyz » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:42 am

(1) Other than being a customer, I have no affiliation with IK. (2)I never unzipped and installed any of the Artists Signature Presets before just now. (3) I followed these instructions:
1) Close down MixBox (if open).
2) Place the preset folder into your MixBox presets directory:
C:\Users\*USER*\Documents\IK Multimedia\MixBox\Rack Presets
[Mine was C:\Users\Steve-xyz\Documents\IK Multimedia\MixBox\Rack Presets]
3) Open MixBox.
The presets are now ready for use!

I put the innermost unzipped Signature Presets - Jakob Haq folder inside the Rack Presets folder. After I re- opened MixBox standalone, I found a folder with the Jakob Haq Presets within the Rack Presets folder.

If that's what you also did, I would encourage you to contact IK Support. Maybe they are aware of specific conditions under which the steps don't get you the presets.

And thanks! If I have problems with the others, I will be sure to update this post.

EDIT: With the other ones, I noticed something potentially confusing. Not sure if that caused an issue for you. The contents of the unzipped folders were not all structured in the same way. To be clear, when I copied signature presets, I navigated to the folder that contained the typed sub-folders (Bass, Bus Processing, Spaces, etc.) Sometimes those were in the unzipped folder; sometimes they were nested within another folder or two.

I copied the innermost folder that had the typed sub-folders and placed them where the instructions said (Step 2 above).

The unzipped Romesh Dodagoda was had a different structure (folders within folders). So I navigated 2 or 3 more folders-within-folders until I got the one that had Bus Processing, Drum, Guitar, Synth and Vocals. I copied that folder and renamed it Signature Presets - Romesh Dodagoda so it would appear alphabetized within MixBox along with the other "Signature Presets" folders.

I hope this helps. If not, there could be another issue going on with your installation; so, give IK support a try.
Steve-xyz

Postby gtbouts » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:37 pm

Thanks for your response. I did notice a different directory structure for the Romesh folder but not the others until you pointed that out. I tried moving inner most folder to the Rack Presets folder so the structure now looks like this. Under Rack Presets are Bass, Delays, Drums, Signature Presets - John Potoker and under that Bass, Bus Processing, Drum, etc.Same for the other presets.
You are absolutely correct in that is is VERY CONFUSING since the directory structure is not consistent.
I did submit a trouble ticket to support earlier last week but no response yet.
gtbouts

Postby DarkStar » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:59 pm

I noticed some inconsistencies too, so after installation I used File Explorer to reorganise the folders:

That seems OK here.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Steve-xyz » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:58 pm

DarkStar wrote:I noticed some inconsistencies too, so after installation I used File Explorer to reorganise the folders . . .

I like what you did by putting them all within a single "Signature Presets" folder. I thought about just using the artist names in the main folder, but not about putting them together. That's now on my list to do. Thanks!!

Done! Variation: I put the Sunset Collection in there. Folder = Signature Presets + Sunset.
Steve-xyz

Postby gtbouts » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:55 pm

Darkstar - Thanks for the reply and what a GREAT way to organize the Signature Presets. I set up my Rack Presets folder the same way and truncated the folder name to each artist under a folder 'Signature Presets'. Regardless of which Mixbox version (standalone, VST, VST3) it scans the presets, shows the Signature Presets folder but only the Romesh - Drums - Snare appears in the Mixbox Preset window. It does display Bass, Delays, Drums, etc and for Bass there's 5 presets availabe (Fuzz the Bass, Sub Controller, Super Bass Growler, The Flexi Bass, The Trick), however, there are 43 presets in the Bass directory. At this point I have no idea what I should have access to. I have a full license for Sample Tank Max(not sure if Mixbox is part of that) but Mixbox is licensed and authorized on my system.
I think I may delete Mixbox and reinstall it while I'm waiting for Support to get back to me.
gtbouts

Postby Steve-xyz » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:52 pm

gtbouts wrote:. . . however, there are 43 presets in the Bass directory. At this point I have no idea what I should have access to.

I also have 43 presets in the Bass directory. That's from the installation of MixBox, not the Artist Signature Presets or the Sunrise Collection. If you want to put all of the bass presets from the others in there, you could try that. Or maybe that's what you tried doing in the first place?

After I unzipped the artist/signature presets, I spot checked a bunch of them (different folders) to make sure they hadn't been installed automatically.

I then made the deliberate decision not to combine the presets based on the category. But different people might organize them differently. I know how I would do it instead of dropping the presets in various folders one-by-one, but I am not about to post that in a public forum.

If that's what you want (all basses presets in one folder marked bass, etc.) support might have a set of steps they would recommend.
Steve-xyz

Postby gtbouts » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:30 pm

Steve-xyz - yes the Bass preset folder has 43 presets from the install but they don't all show up in the preset window in mixbox. Hopefully, Support will respond soon. Thanks for your replies.
gtbouts

Postby Steve-xyz » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:17 pm

LOL. My bad. When I said I counted 43 in the Bass directory, I meant the hierarchical preset directory system in MixBox itself (what I now see you are calling the "Mixbox Preset window") not my computer's file structure.
Steve-xyz

Postby gtbouts » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:40 pm

Update 8/27/2022: After a few immediate exchanges with Support in which they told me my directory structure was incorrect (see previous posts) I received these instructions. "If you look in each artist folder; there are preset folders for the various instruments. These are what have to be merged/copied back to the default preset folder." Although the instructions weren't all that clear, as an example, I took the Signature Artist Jakob Hak instrument folders and renamed them to JH_Bass, JH_Guitar, JH_Synth, and so on and put them in the Rack Presets folder. Relauched Mixbox in standalone mode. Mixbox still did not see these folders. I've sent Support another screen shot and explanation. IMO there is a bug in the Mixbox program when it reads the folders, waiting for a response from Tech Support.
gtbouts

Postby DarkStar » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:02 pm

Hmm, that suggestion from Support does not seem right to me. I would think that, if it were, then the install instructions and the folder names in the download file would reflect that advice.

I cannot think why MixBox should see some presets and not others unless there is some weird (OSX?) file permissions problem.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby gtbouts » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:57 pm

Darkstar - I completely agree with you and questioned the install instructions as well. I'm using the most recent Reaper v6.66 (could that be the 'weird thing'? lol) on Win10 also up to date. It's a decent system with an i7 & 48 GB of Ram.
While I was waiting for an initial response from Support I deleted and re-installed Mixbox from scratch, then checked all the Properties for any inconsistencies & Permissions on each of the Mixbox > Rack Presets > Signature Artists folders and my login had full access.
If you have a moment can you answer a quick question? When you open the default Bass (not a Signature Artist) in the drop down box of Mixbox how many presets are displayed? I only get 5. Thx in advance.
gtbouts

Postby DarkStar » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:07 pm

Reaper (other DAWs are available) does not know what's going on :)

Bass presets? Loads:

PS When I load MixBox it says "Scanning presets" in the selection box for several seconds.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby gtbouts » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:19 pm

Thank you. That's what I thought after using Explorer to see the default Bass folder. Mixbox does 'Scan Presets' but only a few display in each catagory. Really puzzling is the only Signature Preset to appear is Romesh and if I drill down just a Snare drum preset is available. I'll update this post again after I hear back from Support - I'm still betting on a bug in the Mixbox program, because I get the same response from Mixbox as a standalone as well as in Reaper. But it seems to be working fine for you..... interesting.
gtbouts

Postby gtbouts » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:42 pm

Update 8/30: I'm a bonehead. I realized last night I had the CS vewrsion of Mixbox which does not give me access to all the modules. I bought the full version and it all works. Thank you for all your help - you've been much more helpful than tech support. In fact you would think that's the 1st thing they would have told me!
Thanks again!
gtbouts

Next

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox