Cross-Compatibility [Resolved]

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Cross-Compatibility [Resolved]

Postby ManOn1st » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:38 pm

Hi-

I'm relatively new to mixing and and to IK products. I'm trying not to go down the rabbit hole of purchasing hundreds of plugins that I read about on so many message boards and trying to avoid the bloat that comes with so many redundancies! I'd like to rely on one or two packages if possible (at least until I'm a pro at hearing the differences between plugs and companies).

Having said that:

1. I'm thinking about purchasing either MixBox or T-RackS, or maybe both if I can be sure there's no overlap between the products. Are they that drastically different?

2. Also, I'm checking out Modo Drum, which comes with its own mixer and effects racks. If I purchased Modo Drum, can I use use either MixBox or T-Racks on the inserts within Modo Drum? Or would I have to ignore Modo Drum's effects and send to my DAW and then add MixBox or T-RackS there.

Thanks for your help in sorting through this.
ManOn1st

Re: Cross-Compatibility

Postby garfy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:21 pm

Hello ManOn1st and welcome to the forums.

1) They are similar in some respects and very different in others. The processors in T-RackS depends on what level you buy (Standard, SE, Deluxe or MAX). In general TR is a mastering suite, although there are a few reverbs and delays available. It can be used as a standalone mastering workstation or the individual modules are available in a DAW.

Mixbox on the other hand, could be though of as a plugin chainer, using a 500-series "Lunchbox" style of GUI, for creative mixing. It has a wider range of types of modules (amps, modulation, filters etc) based on effects found in T-RackS, AmpliTube and SampleTank. You can also process audio through it in a live sound situation and there are additional features such as wet/dry controls and side chains.

So, although there is some overlap in the types of modules in both apps, they are quite different from one another.

2) MODO Drum is a self-contained app and you cannot open plugins from other packages inside it. You would need to switch off the internal effects and route individual channels out to your DAW to process with either TR or Mixbox. That said, again, the effects inside of MODO Drum are derived from the other packages in IKM's range.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: Cross-Compatibility

Postby ManOn1st » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:58 pm

Got it. Thanks for the response!
ManOn1st

Re: Cross-Compatibility [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:35 pm

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox