Change default 44.1 / 16 bit to 48K/24 bit

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Change default 44.1 / 16 bit to 48K/24 bit

Postby racingelijah » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi everyone, and the title of my question seems very easy right? On my old mac, it was very simple to do. Once I created a new project at 48K / 24 bit, it would automatically DEFAULT to this every time I would launch tRacks 5. However, I now am on a different computer and this is BEYOND frustrating.

My computer: Retina 5K, 27-inch late 2015, 4ghz intel core i7, 32 gig ram, ver. 10.14.6

tRacks version: 5.2.2

My interface is an Antelope Audio Discrete 8 system. I can go in and set the defaults to 48K as well as open "audio midi" setup in the utilities folder / applications folder and make sure my setup is also 48K. I then launch tRacks, and watch it switch everything to 44.1 / 16 bit. I have deleted all of the presets, created NEW and saved as "default" as a 48K/24 bit - file save, close... upon reopening, it defaults back to 44.1 / 16. Nothing I seem to do matters regarding any other software settings at 48/24 because once tRacks is launched, it overrides and forces everything to 44.1/16.

Has anyone experienced this? It would be nice to know what is driving the tRacks to always want to default to 44.1/16 since I've made sure everything else on my computer was set to 48/24.

I also deleted in the preferences the plist file for IK tRacks, still did not matter. As a point of reference, I do not use tRacks for mastering, i use it for the metering and dithering tool for taking files from 48K/24 to 44.1/16 for certain projects. i.e. I write for TV / Film and all of my work is 48/24 period. However, there are times I have clients / libraries that require mp3's which is the reason why I still hang onto the tRacks program because the dither tool is very good and I really like the info the metering gives. I use this as a stand alone system since I've had it crash my DAW a few times trying to run as a plugin - I suspect it wants to force my session file to 44.1/16 and causes my core audio issues.
racingelijah

Re: Change default 44.1 / 16 bit to 48K/24 bit

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Disclaimer: this is 90% theory :)

Just a guess - the TR5 User Manual (2.1.5) talks of a default project. At first I thought that it might be possible to alter its properties but I do not think that it exists on disk.

So I looked around:

First of all, go to File >>Audio Settings and set the buffer size there. But there is a bug - this does not seem to be persistent.

Then I tried File >> New project, I get this dialogue:
Try setting the Resolution and Sample Rate there and save it as a new project.

Then when you start TR5 next time, set the Buffer Size again and use File >> Open to open that saved project.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby racingelijah » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:46 pm

Hi DS:

I was skeptical, but I did your suggestion and by default, the buffer is set to 1024, which I set to 512. I then selected "new", did not save, changed to 48K / 24 bit... saved project as "default" and saved preset as "default". Exited... I was VERY surprised to find out it now defaults to 48K, although it's still defaulting to 16 bit. Do you know if you drag a 24 bit file into a 16 bit session, will it truncate to 16 bit because that is what the session file is set to when you open it or will it keep the file at 24 bit?

I am very thankful for your help!
racingelijah

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:52 pm

Sorry I do not know. Make a backup copy of the file and give it a go.

But it all seems a bit confusing to me. For a definitive answer, raise a Support Ticket, here for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby racingelijah » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:29 am

Right on, thanks. I am going to try a few more things, but thank you for your quick responses!

Alan
racingelijah

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Please let us know you resolve this. That will help others.

It looks like TR3 had a similar approach.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox