Tracks 5 Compressors

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Tracks 5 Compressors

Postby auggybendoggy2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:27 pm

Anyone have any opinions on which Tracks work well with Vocals. I'm also interested on which compressors work well with acoustic guitars.

Auggy
auggybendoggy2

Re: Tracks 5 Compressors

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:17 am

My favorite vocal compressor is White 2A (based on the amazing LA2A). Pairs nicely with Black 76. No, really. Try different order and settings as two compressors on a vocal isn't a radical idea any more and these two are great together.

Favorite acoustic guitar compressor is Fairchild 670 ("Vintage Compressor" in T-RackS). This also works well on vocals. Add some Pultec EQ (EQP-1A in T-RackS) especially if you're into some vintage vibe.

Honorable mention for Opto Compressor on vocals. Makes sense since I love White 2A which is also an opto compressor, just a different flavor. And it's a cool shade of red. Seriously, what makes it cool is that it is modeled after a hand-built compressor made by our CTO who is the brains behind our analog modeling technology as well as the person who is the real wizard behind our studio monitors. He's the person that makes it seem like those speakers defy physics. Incredibly skilled and intelligent and has extremely high standards and an unmatched passion for the tools that IK makes.

I like very gently compressing acoustic guitar while tracking but prefer zero latency hardware approach for which I enjoy having a RNC (FMR's "Really Nice Compressor"which is also very budget-friendly) on hand.

Another honorable mention is getting some 1073 (preamp & EQ) which is called EQ-73 in T-RackS vibe on both vocals and acoustic guitar.

I cannot afford hardware LA2A, Fairchild, 1073, or Pultec but I have used them at least once in my lifetime and the T-RackS versions are great. Obviously I'm biased but I used IK stuff long before I started working here and I was learning recording during a very cool "transitional" period where tape was still the main "norm" but there was a lot going on in the box and I got to learn a nice hybrid ideology which now leans mostly toward in the box (but as I mentioned above I do some outboard even while tracking).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:25 am

Also, always try the all buttons setting on Black 76 on almost anything. At least to hear what that does and you might like it, quite cool.

The "Amplifier Only" module preset for Black 76 is cool for a subtle effect as well. There's a global preset called (I think) "Transformer Color" that's nice for some slight vibe as well.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby garfy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:59 pm

+1 with Peter_IK for the Black 76/White 2A combo on vocals. It's my goto on pretty much every rock/pop/metal mix I do.

Set the 76 to only grab the peaks with a quick attack and release. Like the original hardware, the fastest times are when the controls are fully clockwise.

Then let the 2A gain reduce the overall dynamic range to suit the music, but you can be fairly heavy handed with this without too many side-effects. An opto-compressor is relatively slow to compress, but because you dealt with the quick peaks with the 76, the 2A just smooths everything out.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby auggybendoggy2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Peter, Garfy,
Thank you, that's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. I'll def give the L2A and B76 a combo try and I'll try them in different order and using the different settings and presets. Looking forward to this. I'm currently building a PCV sound booth to record my daugther who's a crazy good songwriter. So I'm really excited.

Also, after trialing different compressors from different companies (nomad, waves, steinberg) tracks 5 670 is my favorite. I love the 2A version as well. But that 670 is really nice.

I still have a couple of months before the booth is finished but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Aug
auggybendoggy2

Postby jimmyjames75 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:18 pm

auggybendoggy2 wrote:Anyone have any opinions on which Tracks work well with Vocals. I'm also interested on which compressors work well with acoustic guitars.

Auggy

If you are not familiar with vocal compression, keep this in mind. Using 2 comps can over compress very easy. The reason they recommend using the 2 compressors is to split the workload of compression across 2 units. thus, giving a more transparent sound. One is faster and the other is slower.

I would start with the LA2A first, and only use that. I would also suggest using the Classic Compressor (without another comp) and get familiar with it. It has more controls and can teach you a lot about vocal compression. You can set the classic comp to a fast setup and then bring in the LA2a.

Also try blending the compressor in the vocal. Experiment with the LA2a using only 25% or 50%, ect. The LA2a style comp has been a staple for vocal comp for decades.

I don't like the SSL in T-Racks, but I am a big fan of using a SSL on vocals. The compression on the SSL is historic for vocals. You HAVE to try it on your vocals. I know you asked for compression, and it has it. Famous compression at that. You can use just the comp from it.
If I remember right. On the T-Racks version, you have to go in super hot. I normally gain stage all my tracks to -18. But to get the comp on the SSL to sound good, you gotta go in WAY hotter. Otherwise it will sound steril.
Try the SSL gain staged at -18 just to see if that works for you. But also try -4 peak. And maybe -6 or 10.
jimmyjames75

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox