Gain Staging

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Gain Staging

Postby jimmyjames75 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 am

I looked all over and could not find anything about this. Does anyone know what IK Multimedia suggest as a gain level for their plugins?

I normally use -18rms, but I know those plugs are optimized for that level. I have heard people say that T-Racks is to cold with -18rms, and you need to get the level hot to get the most out of the T-Racks plugins.

Since they are made for Mastering first, they might be optimized for a hotter level. I don't know. Does any IK Multimedia folks know the answer to this? Or any forum users?
jimmyjames75

Re: Gain Staging

Postby jimmyjames75 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:12 am

In the T-Racks manual, it gives me the impression that -23 lufs is the target level for the track gain, going into T-Racks.

When I use the T-racks meters, and set the tracks to -23 lufs. I use a different brand name meter, with it set to -18 rms.

The -23 lufs is a good deal lower than -18rms.

Is -23lufs really the target that T-racks is looking for going IN? Or do I need to change a setting 8n my T-racks meters for the lufs. Using lufs in metering is totally new for me. I have always just used rms and peak.

Is there a better lufs setting than what is factory in T-racks, or should I leave it as is.
jimmyjames75

Postby garfy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi jimmyjames

If you are talking about the section on Metering on pages 149 and 150, the figure quoted as the professional broadcast reference doesn't have anything to do with the level going into T-RackS processors. -23LUFS is the standardised level that European TV broadcasters need to adhere to, so as all programming output is of a similar level, actual shows as well as adverts.

As you can see, the figure then quoted for Apple, Spotify etc is different. This is because the different streaming services haven't agreed on a standard yet :roll:

AFAIK, IKM have not given details on specific levels at which the modules need to be driven. If you're really interested I would open a ticket with official IKM support and see if they can give you further detail. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby garfy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Actually, looking at it again, the manual has thrown a bit of a curve ball there and is incorrect.

The Loudness measurement has nothing to do with decibels and the meter is not measured in dB. It is measured in LUFS (Loudness Units Full Scale) and then as either integrated (average over the whole piece of audio) short-term (over a 3 second period) and momentary.

LUFS (sometimes also LKFS) is designed to represent loudness as perceived by the human ear.

Have a read of Bobby Owsinski's blog about it here https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2019/06/0 ... standards/
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby jimmyjames75 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:15 am

garfy wrote:Actually, looking at it again, the manual has thrown a bit of a curve ball there and is incorrect.

The Loudness measurement has nothing to do with decibels and the meter is not measured in dB. It is measured in LUFS (Loudness Units Full Scale) and then as either integrated (average over the whole piece of audio) short-term (over a 3 second period) and momentary.

LUFS (sometimes also LKFS) is designed to represent loudness as perceived by the human ear.

Have a read of Bobby Owsinski's blog about it here https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2019/06/0 ... standards/

blowing my mind bro. Yes, the manual is a little weird about the levels. I will try and sort it out
jimmyjames75

Postby jimmyjames75 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 am

And for anyone who has read this thread and wondered. I made a few different renders of the same song, all at different gain stages. The -18rms, did in fact sound the best for my ears. It had the most air and clarity to it.
jimmyjames75

Postby jimmyjames75 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm

I found this:

Re: VU Calibration
Postby Obitheincredible » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Older singles, such as the Opto Comp and the Vintage Comp, are calibrated so that 0 dBU= -9dBFS. The newer compressors, such as the Black 76 and the White 2A, are calibrated so that 0dBU= -12dBFS.

On other singles such as the Classic Comp where the meter only shows gain reduction this is not applicable.

Is this info still correct? Or still up to date? Or have they updated all of the old singles and what not?
jimmyjames75

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox