New Computer - T-RackS standalone won't load old projects

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

New Computer - T-RackS standalone won't load old projects

Postby pencheff » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:32 pm

My T-RackS mastering projects were created on a single drive machine. I bought a new PC with two drives, a fast small SSD C: drive and a 1TB hard drive. After copying all my audio files to the new PC's D: drive none of the T-RackS mastering projects open.

Viewing one of the *.tr5prj project XML files in a text editor I see fullAudioFile values are absolute drive paths pointing to a folder in their original location. So I edited the file, changed those file paths to point to the new file location on the new D: drive and...

... no change. When I attempt to open the project nothing happens. Nothing loads and I receive no error message.

What do I need to do to be able to open these projects?
Gregory V Pencheff
Lancaster, PA
pencheff

Re: New Computer - T-RackS standalone won't load old project

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:31 pm

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is raise a Support Ticket, here for some one to one investigation and help (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally). Response time is usually within 2 working days.

<< removed, as not relevant .... DS >>
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:40 pm

I just tried moving a TR5 project to a different disk and deleted the old one. I could open and process the moved project OK and it picked up the .wav from the new location.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby pencheff » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Problem solved. You'd think after spending 25 years as a PC progammer and database administrator I'd have been more thorough in my diagnosis.

This problem was a side effect of another issue of which I was unaware. I started a new project and on playback found the sound coming out of the wrong speakers. huh? Oh yeah, need to configure audio output. Tried to set the "technology" to ASIO but T-RackS just threw an error message saying it could not "initiate the device" ?? I opened a ticket with support over that error message.

In the meantime I persevered with trying to solve this new error... bypassed the step of choosing the "technology" and went directly to choosing "output device" and output channels. I was able to choose my standard audio interface output without first specifying the "technology" ... and the ASIO option then appeared as the "technology". And happily I can load old projects without a problem, don't have to "move" them or edit the project XML audio file paths or anything. The project is just picking the audio up from the default subdirectoy I guess.

Is there some reference in the project file to the audio "technology" used when last saved that is required / critical to the project loading?

Whatever, glad it's working again. As my dad used to say, if it's working, don't fix it.
Gregory V Pencheff
Lancaster, PA
pencheff

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Good oh!

I would continue to liaise with Support. They should be able to explain the conflict in TR5 between opening audio files and its audio output config.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Glad to hear your sessions are loading and you can get back to the music.

For any conflicts with audio devices, on Windows 10, you can reset the Audio/MIDI Settings selections by deleting the following file. This will be rebuilt on next launch.

Go to this location: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\IK Multimedia\T-RackS 5

Find and delete this file: T-RackS 5.properties

Notice that the following files are also listed. When deleted, these are recreated on launch of T-RackS 5 stand alone.

1. New Project (The temporary project to open with each launch of T-RackS 5 stand alone)
  2. settings.properties (A file containing some GUI scaling information)
Note - To see these files, you must enable "Show Hidden Files" in your File Explorer. This option is under the "View" tab.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox