[Resolved] BEFORE I install T5, should I be wary of this?

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

[Resolved] BEFORE I install T5, should I be wary of this?

Postby jonny_franc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:34 am

Just bought T5. There is something I'm leary about before I just jump ahead with installation though.

I seem to recall sometime back I had 'accidentally' downloaded and installed T5... because, ya know, IK sticks stuff on your products page to trap you, :lol: ... anyway I recall getting really pissed because I suddenly had duplicates of all my TRacks plugs.... oh and plus, I had Automapped ones to deal with.

I think I had to actually uninstall Automap and redo everything to get rid of those dupes. Did I say how pissed I was at IK? :evil:

Okay, so since I hadn't bought T5 then, it was the 'freebie' custom shop and therefore I assume all my plugs didn't get updated to T5 versions and thats why I had dupes. The T5 CS installer put the updated plug versions along with what I already have. Did I say how PO'd I was it did that?

To the point.... now that I've actually bought T5, are all my T-Racks plugs going to be updated and 'absorbed' into T5 and I won't have this duplicates issue again?

Tnx :)
jonny_franc

Re: BEFORE I install T5, should I be wary of this?

Postby garfy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:26 am

Hi jonny-franc

TR5 is not an update, it's a new version so it won't replace or absorb your old (I'm guessing TR4) plugin versions. This is so any old projects that you have used TR4 plugins will still open correctly.

You will be able to access the TR5 versions of any TR4 plugins you own in your DAW. They will be prefixed 'TR5'. You may have to login and perform a 'Restore My Gear' in the Custom Shop app if you don't see this happening in your DAW to begin with.

Automap creates a wrapper for the Novation controller/software to use. If you want to Automap TR5 plugins this will create another version of the plugin, but this is down to the way the wrapper works, not TR5 or IK.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby jonny_franc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks.... but

I'm flipping' confused. I thought T5, besides adding the 4 new additional plugs Equal, One, DynaMu & Master match, simply updates all ones previous T-Racks plugs you have to the new spec.

I bought the 'base' T5 version because I own nearly all the plugs already. Does this mean I'm supposed to buy everything all over again?
Am I gonna have some cluster**** of plugs on my system that if I chose a T5 dupe of a plug I already own in a channel strip that its gonna tell me it won't work?
Last edited by jonny_franc on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonny_franc

Postby DarkStar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:33 pm

Nope :) No need to worry.

You've got your old T-RackS plug-ins (TR4? TR3?) installed. They will not be touched / affected by installing T-RackS 5. All your old projects will still load those old plug=ins OK.

The T-Racks 5 software installer will install a new set of plug-ins (their names all start with "TR5"). After the installation, authorise TR5 in the Authorization Manager (you may be prompted to let the latest version of the Auth. Manager). Then start the Custom Shop program, login, go to the T-RackS section and click [Gear] then "Restore my gear".

After that you are good to go. You will be able to load and use the TR5 "processor modules" that you got in the TR5 product that you bought AND TR5 editions of all your old plug-ins. There is no need to buy them again. You can load the TR5 modules as individual plug-ins in your DAW or into the "TR5 Suite" plug-in or into the standalone T-RackS 5 program.

As with previous versions, TR5 installs all the modules so that you can quickly try out those you have not yet bought. I think that you can just move them out of the plug-in folder (or rename them to a different file extension) if you do not wish them to show up in your DAW.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:41 pm

I am not sure what you added to your previous post.

If it was the last paragraph, then TR5 is a different product from the previous main version, not just a "point update." With new engine, new features, improved modules .... And, as I mentioned, you get the TR5 editions of all your old T-RackS plug-ins.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby jonny_franc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks again. :)

But I don't get it. Why is it necessary to have 2 versions. Just update the previous plugs version and they continue working with any old project..... just like every other frikken update for any other piece of software does, lol

Regardless, it apparently seems that I'm gonna have a cluster**** of plugins anyway.

How is it that any time I want to do anything with IK, I have to wind my way through all sorts of their convoluted sales and upgrading schemes. Every time I go to their site the soundtrack to 'curb your enthusiasm' starts playing in my head. :D
jonny_franc

Postby jonny_franc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Sorry, I deleted what I added in my OP in lieu of your quick response and now you responded as I was typing out my second response to address that in which you now quickly responded to, to which I added this bit to explain what just happened. :)
jonny_franc

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Any major (non-point) release is a new installation so that your previous projects can remain intact. We do not want the major updates to impact how people's previous projects sound when they load them up. This is especially important to those that work commercially as they definitely want to retain how the projects sounded when they were completed instead of updating plugins only to have substantial sonic differences.

Of course people can also "print" their work by freezing all tracks or rendering each track to a fully-processed file but that is not always (or frequently) part of the average workflow.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jonny_franc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:57 pm

I suppose at some point I can delete the older versions and replace where I used them with the T5 ones. It's not like I have a lot of projects with them in the first place. I'm just a home recording entity so it won't make any difference to me with any possible sound differences.

However after I do do that, I'd still have rid them from Automap. Doesn't make it simple if iirc. Its not like I can just go into some folder and delete them like in Logics library. So it'd probably be another uninstall/ reinstall thing

I mean, choosing IK in a channel strip and getting accosted with an enormous list with now four instances of every plug is insane, lol
jonny_franc

Postby DarkStar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Yes, but not in that order. :)

-- Load your old project with the TR4 plug-ins,
-- insert the TR5 edition of each plug-in alongside the old one.
-- set the controls in the TR5 plug-in(s) to the desired values,
-- save the project with a sightly different name,
-- repeat for the other projects.

When you have done all your projects and the updated ones are OK, then you can uninstall the old version of T-RackS. (It will still be in your User Area, so you will always be able to download it and reinstall it.)

I've never used AutoMap, sound like a pain. Especiallly as it creates wrapped copies of the plug-ins!

-------------
Not official advice:
You may be able to save a preset out of the TR4 plug-in, move it using Explorer, change its file extension to .tr5m then load it into the TR5 plug-in.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby jonny_franc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks for all your help Darkstar. :)

Yeah, had automap with the ZeroSLMkII controller thing for years and still haven't learned to use it properly...along with all the other gear I haven't learned. Nice having the stuff there but unless you sit down for 8 hours a day for several months it takes to actual learn any of these things properly, they just provide a pretty light show. :D
jonny_franc

Postby garfy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:16 am

jonny_franc wrote:Its not like I can just go into some folder and delete them like in Logics library

What DAW are you using now? It might have a plugin manager similar to Logic, where you can customise plugin folders so you can 'hide' older versions without having to uninstall them from your system.
garfy

Postby jonny_franc » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:29 pm

garfy wrote:
jonny_franc wrote:Its not like I can just go into some folder and delete them like in Logics library

What DAW are you using now? It might have a plugin manager similar to Logic, where you can customise plugin folders so you can 'hide' older versions without having to uninstall them from your system.

Errr... Logic. Like it says right there. ;)

Ah thanks. :)
Did not know that. Never got around to learning the ins and out of the plugin manager.

Lets see. I'm looking at the manager. I'm thinking something like create a new folder and obviously put that stuff in it. However they will still be seen in the manager at the 'show all' level though. So I take it you're talking about not showing in the channel strip menu then.... Okay now I'm lost, lol.
jonny_franc

Postby garfy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Ok, so in the main section in the plugin manager all plugins installed on your system will be shown, plus information whether they have been successfully validated, manufacturer etc.

To the left of that you have a menu that is based on Category and this is what can be personalised to show up as Audio FX in the channel strip.

So, in the manager, if you added a new folder under Category and named it "All TR5" you could drag/drop all your TR5 plugins to it and then under the channel strip you wouldn't need to navigate AudioUnits>IK Multimedia>MassiveListOfDuplicatedPlugins ;)

Here's a short vid that demonstrates (not made by me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0cMcgfwx5I

Hope that helps.
garfy

Postby jonny_franc » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:00 pm

garfy wrote:Hope that helps.

Ah that's perfect, thanks very much! Appreciate it! :)

Now I'm gonna go to town with these folders. :D
jonny_franc

Next

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox