Suggestions for a good chain template. Somewhere to start?

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Suggestions for a good chain template. Somewhere to start?

Postby DrRobF » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:59 pm

I am very new to all of this and was hoping to find someone who could suggest a good standard chain of the plug ins that most people can use for a beginner. I have several plug ins since I did the 10 for 1 deal but am so new at this I am sure i am not using it well. Just looking for some general advice and a suggested place to start.
Pro Tools 12
Mac 64 bit Mohave
White 2A Leveling Amplifier
EQual
Tape Machine 440
Vintage Tube Compressor/Limiter Model 670
Quad Image
CSR Room Reverb
Tape Echo
Black 76 Limiting Amplifier
5 Tape Machine 24
T-RackS 5
Lurssen Mastering Console
DrRobF

Re: Suggestions for a good chain template. Somewhere to star

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:39 pm

There is no one right answer. And it depends on which processors you selected.

Maybe try:
Equalizer - Compressor - Equalizer - Saturator - Limiter
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DrRobF » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Yes I am sure it is specific to each tune being worked on but your suggestion is exactly what I was hoping for.. just a place to start.
For example which plug in should go last, which should go first.. things like that are so helpful.
Thanks!
Pro Tools 12
Mac 64 bit Mohave
EQual
Tape Machine 440
Quad Image
CSR Room Reverb
Tape Echo
5 Tape Machine 24
T-RackS 5
DrRobF

Postby carlaz » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:31 pm

It might depend on whether you are thinking about a particular "instrument" (including vocals) or whether you are thinking about the stereo bus.

In general, though, I think many mixers will start with EQ and/or compression. (IMO, these are really the foundational tools for mixing, other than just levels and gain-staging.) Admittedly, you will find people who like EQ before compression, or EQ after compression, or sandwiching multiple points of EQ and compression .... It depends on the mixer, the source material, what the mixer wants to achieve .... You can find a lot of discussion online about these issues. Placing EQ before compression obviously emphasizes compression of any boosted frequencies (or deemphasizes compression of scooped frequencies), while compression before EQ smooths out the existing sound and then boosts or cuts from there. A lot of people will make small EQ and or compression moves with multiple EQ or compression units. Or, for compression, there will be a fast compressor to catch and tame peaks in a transient-heavy signal, and then a slow compressor following it to smooth out the results more evenly. (An 1176-style compressor to catch peaks followed by a more languid LA2A-style comrpessor is a classic combination.)

Then, I think more "effecty" things like delay, etc. are usually after the "basics" of EQ and compression -- and often placed as send/return effects on aux channels. But, of course, people will often compress or EQ signals going into delay, reverb, etc. EQing (but, I think not so much compressing) signals coming out of delay or reverb can be useful, too.

But, in the end .... as DarkStar says, there are no "right answers". Different situations, sources, and objectives may call for different treatments. I've found it helpful to try out different techniques that I see people using online (in YouTube videos or whatever) not so much to achieve the same thing that they are trying to achieve, but really just as a vehicle to get to grips with what the tools do. Then, as I get better with that, I can get closer to being able to apply that absolutely-true-but-not-always-very-helpful-advice that people like to give about "using your ears"! :mrgreen:

All that said ... There are things that I "tend" to do on particular instruments/vocals, or the stereo bus, etc. Vocals get a mix of EQ and compression (very often the "catch fast peaks" followed by "heavier but slower" treatment); I'll then send the results off via sends to parallel compression and delays and stuff (often EQ'd/compessed going in to those). I don't like a lot of reverb, but might send delays to a light reverb. Drums likewise get EQ and compression on different elements of the kit (kick, snare, toms, hats if separate, overheads), maybe some reverb for the snare and/or toms, and then maybe heavy parallel compression for the kick, snare, and rest of the kit separately. Bass is often split into a heavily compressed clean (DI) low-end signal (maybe 200-250 hz and below) and a high-end signal (i.e. 200+ hz) that can be amped or otherwise messed up :mrgreen: and then I bus those back together for some further light compression and EQ (just to "glue" things together). Guitars ... I generally bus distorted rhythm guitars together for some EQ, but seldom much compression (maybe some judicious multiband if they are chuggy and there is too much "woof" down there). Lead guitars the same, but usually processed separately.

On the stereo bus, there are some compression plugins set VERY lightly, providing more saturation than anything, as well as some EQ to give a bit of "smiley face". I tend to have some channel/aux presets set-up that I use, but I honestly don't recall the ordering of things. :? It does change, from time to time .... Basically, I like a little compression and EQ to "mix into", but nothing too crazy.

And I'm sure many people could look at what I currently do and screech "That's dumb!" or "That makes no sense!" and they would probably be right! :lol: But I like to think I'm sucking a little less this year than last year. :mrgreen:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby DrRobF » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 pm

What a fantastic post! Thank you so much for your insight. This stuff does help us newbies to hear from the experts. I will take all of this in and digest it a bit. Thank you for your time in composing this post. It is nice to have helpful people out there.
Rob
Pro Tools 12
Mac 64 bit Mohave
EQual
Tape Machine 440
Quad Image
CSR Room Reverb
Tape Echo
5 Tape Machine 24
T-RackS 5
DrRobF

Postby carlaz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks, though I am definitely no expert! :shock: I've just have been a newbie long enough that I've collected some notes from actual experts. :mrgreen:

There is a lot of useful information online, not least on YouTube. (There is a lot of less useful information, too! It can take some time to start figuring out to whom to listen!) One of my favorite channels for this kind of thing is Warran Huart's "Produce Like a Pro" channel. He's a long-time T-RackS user, I believe (though, obviously, he also uses plugins from various other manufacturers, as well as various bits of physical gear), and often reviews IKM stuff (usually positively). You'll find other good resources, too.

One helpful thing is that a lot of gear modeled in T-RackS is very "standard", like 1176-style and LA2A-style compressors, Neve-style EQs, SSL-style EQs/compressors, etc. So you can check out how people use real physical examples of the gear, or plugins even from other manufacturers, and try it with your T-RackS equivalents. And it's always worth remembering that the sounds of real physical pieces of gear, especially units that have been through decades of use and service, will differ from one unit to another. So if the Black 76 compressor in T-RackS doesn't perform exactly like another 1176-style plugin or actual 1176-style hardware, so what? :lol: It will be similar in many important respects.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby DrRobF » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I will check out that guy you mentioned in you tube. It is hard to find the good voices out there with so many you tubers..
Rob
Pro Tools 12
Mac 64 bit Mohave
EQual
Tape Machine 440
Quad Image
CSR Room Reverb
Tape Echo
5 Tape Machine 24