Your go to mastering chain for heavy metal

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Your go to mastering chain for heavy metal

Postby reapermusic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:12 am

Hey guys, thought it would be fun and informative to see what you guys use on the master bus when you are mastering in the metal genre. For example what modules are your favorites and placement order?
reapermusic

Re: Your go to mastering chain for heavy metal

Postby carlaz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure that what I do is not what should be called "mastering" :? but there is stuff on my stereo-/mix-/two-bus (whatever we call it that I mix into). So, I'm also not using T-RackS as a standalone; I'm using individual T-RackS plugins within my DAW (Logic Pro X, as it happens) when mixing, etc. I'm also not sure my stuff is "metal" by contemporary standards, but it's got classic metal and stoner/hard/heavy rock vibes, so that will have to do.

At the moment, my basic mix bus stuff is inspired by things I've seen Andrew Scheps do (though, no, I'm not trying to emulate Death Magnetic! :lol: ), but it's essentially just a bit of light compression and EQ -- and, so, in that sense, not too much different than probably a lot of people use, regardless of the genre.

First is compression, with the Precision Comp/Limiter and then the Vintage Tube Compressor/Limiter model 670, both set for just a dB or so of gain reduction. Very light "glue" and "color" is what I'm aiming for. A lot of my material is more "vintagey" in intention, so I like this combo, but if I'm going for something specifically more '80s :mrgreen: I might swap these out in favor of the (SSL-style) Bus Compressor module.

Next is EQ, with the Tube Program Equalizer model EQP-1A set for mild boosts in the lows and highs; a bit of a "smiley face". Just that for my main mix-bus EQ, and -- again -- it can be pretty subtle.

Then I sometimes use tape emulation. I don't have the new T-RackS tape emulation modules; maybe in a future group buy (when I haven't just blown out my budget on Amplitube Brain May, like this year :lol: ) I can pick them up.For now, I use non-IKM tape when I use it. (Admittedly, I sometimes forget whether I've left any tap plugin on or off, since it can be pretty subtle! :lol: ) I also sometimes use Logic Pro X's stock linear EQ plugin to cut very low stuff and also gently boost fairly high stuff on the sides. (From T-RackS, the High precision, high definition Linear Phase Equalizer module would probably be good at this, but I don't think I have it either!)

That's the end of the principal mix-bus processing. Thereafter, I often use Master Match to compare my mix against reference tracks (though I wish it would accept ALACs). Although I will use its EQ matching function at times, I usually end up going back to make adjustments in other parts of my mix if something looks unusually out of whack. I use it more as a kind of monitor to make up for the fact that I'm mixing in "reduced circumstances", with no treated room and usually on headphones. Kind of a check to ensure I'm not insane. :lol: And, finally, I will usually use Stealth Limiter (in front of Logic's stock LUFS meter) as final "glue", and to bring up levels to somewhere more like where the rest of what's on my phone is (since Apple's "Sound Check" thing doesn't always seem to do what it's supposed to) for comparative purposes when I'm "car testing". :mrgreen:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox