Master Match

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Master Match

Postby jimmyjames75 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:08 pm

Trying to find really detailed info on this thing, and there just is not any. I own Master Match. And I think it is a pretty amazing tool. The manual says to use it last in the chain. Though I have found this to work most of the time unless I am using the "Inflator". Then that goes behind Master Match.

There is a brickwall limiter built in master match. Is there any tech specs on the the settings for the limiter and compression on this thing?

Do you guys use a compressor and limiter AND master match after that? Or you folks dumping the their limiter? Are guys dropping the compressor as well when mastering with master match?

The Level matching works on a % out of 100. After pressing the "Match" button. Is the volume suppose to be identical to the source? And what happens under the hood when we increase that volume? If MM (master match) set the volume to 75%, if we increase it to 85%, what happens?

is there anyway to tweak any of the settings for compression under the hood on this thing?

TLDR; If you use Master Match, do you drop your compressor and limiter when mastering? Do you always use it last in chain? Is there any tricks for Spectral and Level matching?
jimmyjames75

Re: Master Match

Postby Jakeboy » Wed May 22, 2019 5:27 pm

I use the Stealth Limiter before it with no issues and I raise the volume level on MM to get the level up where Iwant it.
Jakeboy

Postby jimmyjames75 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Jakeboy wrote:I use the Stealth Limiter before it with no issues and I raise the volume level on MM to get the level up where Iwant it.

Do you not like the limiter in MM? Or just prefer Stealth Limiter? From what I can tell, MM has a built in brick wall, and it is set to 0.03 db. And that is fine. I don't like to go higher than that anyway.

I wonder if I used MM, and backed off the volume so the limiter in it was not clipping any notes at all. Then used a brick wall that I can adjust better?

I am enjoying the T-Racks stuff for mastering and using a few of the tools. This MM is a really cool tool! The best I have tried for EQ matching. Just the volume/limiter thing is weird to me.

I wonder if 50% volume or 0% volume will bypass the limiter in MM all together??????
jimmyjames75

Postby Jakeboy » Thu May 23, 2019 2:43 am

It seems to me the limiter in the MM isn’t enough....the Stealth is VERY transparent and I don’t feel the MM is.....I like to use it as the final eq tweaker. My workflow goes from LMC to Stealth to M.
Jakeboy

Postby Peter_IK » Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Jakeboy wrote:It seems to me the limiter in the MM isn’t enough....the Stealth is VERY transparent and I don’t feel the MM is.....I like to use it as the final eq tweaker. My workflow goes from LMC to Stealth to M.

Now if you use reference tracks mastered by Lurssen Mastering in Master Match in this workflow, will the world fold in upon itself?? :) Lurssenception
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jimmyjames75 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Jakeboy wrote:It seems to me the limiter in the MM isn’t enough....the Stealth is VERY transparent and I don’t feel the MM is.....I like to use it as the final eq tweaker. My workflow goes from LMC to Stealth to M.

i really like this idea. I am going to try this next. I don't own the Stealth Limiter, but I have a Limiter that I do fancy. This might be the secret for me using the MM tool.
I do have the T-Racks Brickwall limiter. I might try that as well.
jimmyjames75

Postby darkogav » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:39 am

Hello, you are loading LMC into Tracks 5? How so?
darkogav

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:44 am

darkogav wrote:

Hello, you are loading LMC into Tracks 5? How so?

I ncase they don't answer this older post, you cannot. They would be using T-RackS 5 and Lurssen Mastering Console inside their DAW software.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Jakeboy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm

Sorry it took me a while to reply. Peter is nearly correct. Once I have finished mixing in my DAW, I render a WAV. Then I master in LMC on my iPad or in standalone mode on the laptop. Once I am happy with the master in LMC, I render a new WAV from LMC and then go into TRacks5 standalone to apply the Stealth Limiter and Master Match with the Metering section. Then I render the final product. Works for me.
Jakeboy

Postby darkogav » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:28 pm

Jakeboy wrote:Sorry it took me a while to reply. Peter is nearly correct. Once I have finished mixing in my DAW, I render a WAV. Then I master in LMC on my iPad or in standalone mode on the laptop. Once I am happy with the master in LMC, I render a new WAV from LMC and then go into TRacks5 standalone to apply the Stealth Limiter and Master Match with the Metering section. Then I render the final product. Works for me.

thanks. thats an interesting work flow.

i use Tracks 5 first with stealth and whatever else. then render that to 48k 24bit wave. import into LRC. then from there export to 44.1/16bit for upload to bandcamp.
darkogav

Postby Jakeboy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 pm

@darkogav, this is interesting indeed.The reason I don’t use LMC last is because the metering on LMC is inadequate for me. I need a Lufs meter....I guess if I used LMC in the DAW with IK metering, that would work. I do prefer to master away from my DAW...especially on my iPad so I can audition the final product on Alexa, in my car, etc.
Jakeboy

Postby darkogav » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Jakeboy wrote:@darkogav, this is interesting indeed.The reason I don’t use LMC last is because the metering on LMC is inadequate for me. I need a Lufs meter....I guess if I used LMC in the DAW with IK metering, that would work. I do prefer to master away from my DAW...especially on my iPad so I can audition the final product on Alexa, in my car, etc.

FWIW.. I use that IKM Metering plugin all the way through the process from recording to mixing to mastering. I control headroom and LUFS right from the beginning. I have all the parameters set to the same so I can watch and compare how it looks and moves from stage to stage. I also print the mixdown in my DAW to a separate stereo track before I go out into Tracks.

I sort of apply this agile software development methodology to it where you are constantly tweaking the mix levels all the way through. I don't know it that's the correct way of doing it, but that's how I have been using it.

There is a new LUFS free meter I discovered which I will give a shot. But I am sort of used to how IKM Meter works. I like the view of everything on one pane.

https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/
darkogav

Postby Jakeboy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:38 pm

@darkogav, we use much the same methodology as I have a meter going on every track and I also “mix as I go”. I do wish IK would allow LMC to work in the standalone TRacks program. But that is a nit. As long as I am close to my target in LMC, I can make the slight tweaks in TRacks with the Stealth and Master Match.
Jakeboy

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox