Input Levels for T-RackS 5's The One and Lurssen

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Input Levels for T-RackS 5's The One and Lurssen

Postby dpaterson » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi.

Just curious:

What input levels should be fed to T-RackS 5 The One and Lurssen Matering Console??? In other words: what levels are you guys and dolls mixing down to before sending to The One or Lurssen???

Should we be following the gain staging "rule" i.e. final mix to -6dB/-18RMS (-12LU) and then to The One or Lurssen???

And which is the wiser with Lurssen: lifting the input levels from within the console (if they're too low) and dialing back on the mastering levels (if they become too high) or leaving the input levels the same and pushing the master from within the console???

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterson

Re: Input Levels for T-RackS 5's The One and Lurssen

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:13 pm

Hey dpaterson,

Thanks for your post!

While I am curious to hear other user replies here.

I do want to mention that there are no suggested levels for importing files into LMC, or T-RackS 5, as different genres and different styles of music may be mastered/mixed differently. Try using both a louder mix and a softer mix and see what results fit your track best.

Check out the artist videos below. These may help you make decisions here.

Gavin Lurssen talking about his take on mixing with LMC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddv_FPJ-KaY

Warren Huart's Product Like A Pro episode with LMC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQE2c1GXfA

Tom Lord-Alge mixing with T-RackS 5. This is a series so be sure to check them all out to see how TLA uses the different module parameters and how they affect his mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgA0eOs7Rm0
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby dpaterson » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi Ryan.

Thanks very much for the links. I shall take a look.

For what it's worth:

Up until now I personally have been treating both Lurssen and The One in the same way as I would treat any other standard plugin i.e. the final mix output into either one not exceeding -6dB Peak /-18dB RMS (or -12dB LU). And without adjusting any levels at all in Lurssen i.e. just letting it "do its thing": the resultant masters have a lot of "air" (for want of a better description) but they're by no means loud mixes. I must say The One (using the standard Complete One preset) pushes more given the same input levels. The clarity out of either is outstanding though.

But I shall watch the videos (thanks again) and yeh: for the sake of interest what is everybody else doing???

Both great pieces of software though I must say (particularly Lurssen in my opinion).

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterson

Postby dpaterson » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:19 am

Hello again.

Ryan: thanks for the links. Watched them. Good stuff. Must say I was rather impressed to see the Lurssen chaps actually take their stuff to the car to listen!!! LOL!!! You don't see that being emphasized enough anywhere. Which brings me to a point (truth be told I didn't even know there was a Lurssen app. for iPad): are the in-app purchases still applicable to somebody like me (who actually owns Lurssen)??? In other words: if I register the app. using my existing account then do I still have to purchase the two additional features (playback and HD engine)??? (I've not registered the app. from my iPad as yet i.e. don't want to waste a registration for nothing).

I guess my question has been answered somewhat i.e. the levels are not that important apparently. And those guys don't seem to have any problem pushing Lurssen's meters into the red that's for sure.

By the way (and in closing): feel free to move this thread to the other thread where this is being discussed (sorry: I didn't realize there was a seperate thread for Lurssen etc.).

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterson

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey Dale,

No need to apologize, this thread is okay as this related to T-RackS as well. Now, we are glad to hear you found the videos helpful. Personally, I love watching the pros using gear I have access to. It really helps you know how others are going about things and if you are on the right track. Keep an eye out for future content.

As for your question on Lurssen Mastering Console for iOS (iPod/iPhone/iPad). Unfortunately, Mac/PC and iOS purchases do not transfer at this time. This means these would be separate purchases. Do note, the LMC app is FREE to get started. Feel free to check this out and see if this is a method which you would use.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox