T-RackS: What would you like to see?

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Re: T-RackS 4: What would you like to see?

Postby lukebredin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:05 am

Nice list of equipment to model!

Certainly looks like ik is going down the route of modelling single units to add to T-Racks. So here is hoping!
T-Racks CS | ARC2 | AT3, Slash, Fender, Hedrix, Ampeg | ST2XL, Miroslav Philharmonic, Sonik Synth, Sample Moog | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 -16GB Ram | Mac OS X 10.9.1 | Logic Pro X | Certified Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
lukebredin

Postby yabino974 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:36 pm

lukebredin wrote:Nice list of equipment to model!

Certainly looks like ik is going down the route of modelling single units to add to T-Racks. So here is hoping!

Hope so ;).

And as i'ts not forbidden to dream a little, I'll add :
- Millennia NSEQ-2 ("hybrid" tube/solid state equalizer) (+)
- Millennia TCL-2 ("hybrid" tube/solid state compressor)
Samplitude Pro X4 15.0.2.141 x64 | VST2 x64 | Windows 7 x64 | Sample Rate 44.1 KHz
yabino974

Postby lukebredin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Im a mix/mastering engineer that has come solely from a digital background, so I have been learning about all this lovely gear from companies like IK that model them! Loving your list as it is giving me new bits of gear to read about, thanks for that! :D
T-Racks CS | ARC2 | AT3, Slash, Fender, Hedrix, Ampeg | ST2XL, Miroslav Philharmonic, Sonik Synth, Sample Moog | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 -16GB Ram | Mac OS X 10.9.1 | Logic Pro X | Certified Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
lukebredin

Postby yabino974 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Well, reading about gear is interesting for sure. But hearing it is even better :lol:.

Even if you heard only the digital model. As soon as it sounds great and got character.

On my own, I envy UAD users for the 33609 and Massive Passive, at least.

When I did my 6 months internship earlier in the year after finishing my classes, I had the chance to use these 2 plugins, and oh my...

Master Bus heaven, instant listening pleasure if you ask me !

If IK can come up with tools of this quality concerning a Mastering EQ and COMP, I'm all in !
Samplitude Pro X4 15.0.2.141 x64 | VST2 x64 | Windows 7 x64 | Sample Rate 44.1 KHz
yabino974

Postby lukebredin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:45 am

Yeah I am looking at going back to college on some sound courses so I can get hands on with some of this gear!
lukebredin

Postby dan.liberatore » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Here's an expensive and difficult-to-implement idea.

How about modeling the sounds of some mixing consoles? I think it would be pretty cool to have a way to emulate that. All DAWs are not created equal, and most don't do this, so this could make it possible to get a consistent sound wherever you mix.
dan.liberatore

Postby acousticglue » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:36 pm

jjguitar wrote:I would like to see the T-RackS singles in the custom shop, so I can use them with the AmpliTube 3 suite.
It would be great if IK could make them compatible with AmpliTube 3.This would be the "all in one" solution 8-)

Yes if the TRacks singles could be purchased at price of amps/cabs and added into Amp3 or singled I would definitely purchase. I need this more than I need new amp models.
acousticglue

Postby integratron » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 am

acousticglue wrote:
jjguitar wrote:I would like to see the T-RackS singles in the custom shop, so I can use them with the AmpliTube 3 suite.
It would be great if IK could make them compatible with AmpliTube 3.This would be the "all in one" solution 8-)

Yes if the TRacks singles could be purchased at price of amps/cabs and added into Amp3 or singled I would definitely purchase. I need this more than I need new amp models.

+1 I really like this idea!
EDIT: similar to capability with NI Guitar Rig 5 Pro.
Last edited by integratron on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amplitube/SampleTank/Syntronik/TrackS/Steinberg UR22/Win 10 Pro/Dell XPS8700/intel i7 /TB HDD/8Gb RAM - J S Bach, the Einstein of music - Listen to D. Scarlatti and my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/
integratron

Postby volker.waltinger » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:09 pm

I´m lucky to own all the IK stuff, which to me is simply great and the ultimate partner-plugs in production side to side with the Waves. What you can´t do with the Waves, you can be shure you will find some T-Racks3 stuff to be working with and vice versa. It perfectly complements one each other IMO. The clinical precision stuff from Waves on the one side, the beautiful big warm analog sounding T-Racks3 on the other. The only stuff me personally is missing from IK, definitely are studio-T-Racks-versions of FXs like Chorus, Flanger, etc. as well as Gate and Expander and all that kinda gear. I know that I can find all of that kinda stuff in Amplitube 3, but to me personally it´s not the same.The Compressors and EQs from T-Racks3 do sound different to the one in Amplitube 3 (which are great undenied), but I kinda not really would love to use Amplitube 3 on a crucial Leadvocal or something (while the T-Racks stuff does work great for it)-though I´m a real big fan of Amplitube 3 and I use it for all my guitars, basses, also particular keys, percussions etc. and use to recommend it to every Guitarplayer I use to meet. Wanna say, I love Amplitube 3. But anyway such studio-FXs would be the ultimate final production tools from IK to complete their whole products range, maybe in the way of famous analog FX-hardware gear like they used to do fabuloulsy at the compressors, EQs and also nicely at the CSR. Please, give us some big warm analog studio chorus, flanger, phaser, gate, expander and so on-stuff! It´s the only thing that´s missing from IK right now ;) . Ain´t I´m right? Guess I am ;) .
However, guys,
love from here and a very happy new year!
Last edited by volker.waltinger on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
volker.waltinger

Postby Surf Whammy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:21 am

As best as I have been able to determine, there are no specific noise gates in T-RackS, and if this is correct, then T-RackS certainly needs an advanced noise-gating system like the Alesis 3632 Compressor which does compressing, limiting, and gating . . .

I have an Alesis 3630 Compressor, which is the classic version, and it works very nicely as a noise gate, as well as not costing very much, and while it might be a stretch to call it an "advanced" signal processor, it works and is reasonably easy to use. It also does "ducking", which is yet another important capability for a mixing and mastering suite . . .

In the regard, it is useful to understand that there are three primary uses for T-RackS and its various individual components:

(1) Individually selected signal processors for very specific instruments and voices, where the strategy is to use perhaps one or two of the signal processors for an instrument or voice to control and to modify some characteristic, which for example might involve using the Brickwall Limiter to push a snare drum rimshot to the front . . .

(2) Mixing suites, where the general strategy is to introduce a bit of global control via a combination of signal processors working in tandem on the Master stereo output track . . .

(3) Mastering suites, where the general strategy is to do fine tuning after everything has been mixed, also via a combination of signal processors working in tandem . . .

[NOTE: The general definition of "tandem" tends to suggest a serial use like a truck pulling two trailers, but I use it with a broader definition which includes parallel use, thereby allowing various combinations of serial and parallel . . . ]

Another highly specialized signal processor that I would like to have is something to do a custom type of "slicing", which is a bit difficult to explain but easy to understand . . .

When I watch stellar hit songs like "Billie Jean" (Michael Jackson), it is easy to observe instruments that are highly constrained but in a way that does not involve compressing, limiting, and noise-gating, which is the reason that I think it is more of a mathematically computed "slicing" activity, where for example one should be able to control and modify the arbitrary introduction of very short duration "moments of silence", which as best as I can determine is one of the ways that hit songs are "pumped" without actually increasing the volume levels of individual instruments and voices . . .

And this might be something that only works when groups or sets of instrument and vocal tracks are fed to an "algorithmic slicer", which as I explained in my most recent post to the ongoing topic "The Fabulous Affordable Studio Monitor Project" in this FORUM about a truly inexpensive but fabulous studio monitoring solution is exemplified in the way The Rolling Stones perform "Miss You", where the general idea is that everyone essentially plays individual notes as if each note was (a) a solo and (b) a transaction, where the term "transaction" is used in the sense of being something that does a grand total of three things with vast precision:

(1) starts . . .

(2) does something useful . . .

(3) ends . . .

The Fabulous Affordable Studio Monitor Project (IK Multimedia FORUM)

As an example, a single crisp and distinct snare drum rimshot is both a "solo" and a "transaction", and it is quite fascinating to watch the way Charlie Watts switches to what I call "single-stepping" mode when he wants to push cymbal and snare drum rimshots to the front . . .

[NOTE: The sound is not so bad, but the important thing is that you can watch Charlie Watts doing the cymbal and snare drum rimshot "single-stepping", which is easiest to observe beginning at 4:55 and continuing for approximately 30 seconds, which looks patently awkward, since he plays "air cymbal" with his right drumstick when he plays a snare drum rimshot with his left hand. It looks strange, and it is not easy to do, but it is a stellar technique for "pushing" the snare drum rimshots to the front of the mix . . . ]

"Miss You" (The Rolling Stones) -- Philadelphia 2005 -- YouTube concert video

Explained another way, when there is only one track of a single instrument, it is virtually trivial to make it loud, but as the number of instruments increases, it becomes more difficult to get clarity and perceived loudness, because the release phases of all the instruments tend to be additive in a way similar to hiss and noise . . .

Yet, if there are 10 instruments and only one plays a note at any given moment, then this is very similar to what happens when there is just one instrument playing individual clearly delineated notes, and while the overall volume level is the same, what happens is that by virtue of advanced mathematical algorithms it is as if each instrument was playing at maximum volume, where instead of having 10 instruments essentially "sharing" a sonic space, each instrument during its specific and highly partitioned and constrained "slice" effectively uses the entire sonic space, although with the caveat that there needs to be a bit of sustained background to provide smoothness and continuity, since otherwise it sounds like a rapid pulse, which introduces the problem of making the instrument and voice "slices" impossible to distinguish to the absurd level that all of it simply sounds like a surreal polyphonic synthesizer . . .

And the key to making this "algorithmic slicer" practical is to discover a way to design the user interface so that makes intuitive sense and has controls and parameters which actually do something obvious and discernible, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:
Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surf Whammy

Postby Synthetic-Oz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:57 am

I just posted this on IK's FB page and was forwarded here by staff.

I'd really love to see the DBX160 added to the classic compressors and maybe Roland's space echo?

Maybe these could be added to the singles *wink* *wink* :D

Cheers.
Synthetic-Oz

Postby acousticglue » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Avalon Tube Preamp and compressor. (mucho preferred)
Tape emulator/Tube emulator saturation. (like sending outbound to analog tape)
acousticglue

Postby volker.waltinger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:14 am

Besides my "wishes" for some Studio-FXs, Gates etc. for a T-Racks 4 which I talked about in a previous posting, here I would like to suggest rather small things for more convenience in handling at the standalone version. It´s not that very important of course as IK put everything into it that is primarly necessary and it´s really cool stuff indeed.
It´s just me personally (as others may join in...), who misses more transport-functions in the standalone version.
If you are mastering a program and you are setting up a loop, it would be just convenient for example also to have an independent return-to-zero-button , as well as additionally maybe some forward/rewind-stuff.
I know, to get to the start of the file, I can click on Snap 1, then push Playback (if I have set up a snap 2 before, otherwise it does not work here...?) but it could be a more "elegant" workflow.
Also it would be just nice to be able to get to the loop-starting point by a click on the loop-line/field (not having to set up a snap at that same point, which does make it graphically confusing), as well as to be able get to the snap points instantly and directly while the program is playing back (not having to stop, to click on the snap and start again).
Concerning the loop-starting point...yes, you can of course turn off the loop-button and then turn it on again to find yourself then right at the loop-starting point, but that´s not really cool IMO.
Maybe it would be nice to have seperate Song-Markers as not to have snap points being used for this.

Another small option would also be pretty cool (as small and as simple it may sound):
to have a Mono button, set behind the last slot/before the output, as you can find it in several DAWs on the Master (Reaper e.g.) In my case I use the Mono button of my 003R (as I use my 003-driver for the standalone-version) to check the final program for Phase issues and stuff when I´m on my desktop, but on my other systems I don´t have this opportunity as other users may not have too. So this would be really helpful, especially for a mastering application!
As I said before, I very much love T-Racks and I really appreciate IK´s work-the fact that they offer such a good, professional product for such a fair price. Thanks for that and let us have more great products for professional/studio-usage in the future!

Cheers.
volker.waltinger

Postby mvh9591 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm

GUI sizable, ISRC coding, Add functions specific to mastering - subcoding, crossfades, DOA mode. Red Book Standard -

Just a few thoughts,
mvh9591

Postby tscoolberth » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Simple: GUI either sizeable or just chop a cm or 2 out of the size (height) . TRacks does not quite fit into the screen of my Samsung laptop (amplitube 3 has the same problem.)

This is a simple, cheap fix and should not affect anyones experience negatively and it'd sure help those of us who mix/record on the go (or in my case laying in bed beside the toddler) ;)
tscoolberth

PreviousNext

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox