T-RackS: What would you like to see?

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Re: T-RackS 4: What would you like to see?

Postby Surf Whammy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:57 am

krist wrote:I would really love to see and hear IK's take on Tape Saturation. That's the one thing I can think of.

I like this idea! :)

I watched a video presentation by Eddie Kramer, who among other things produced The Jimi Hendrix Experience and some of the early KISS albums, and he mentioned using magnetic tape to get a "bump" in deep bass, which he continues to do along with all the digital stuff . . .

I understand the basic concept, and I think that it has great potential as a new VST plug-in, where as I recall it happens at 15 ips magnetic tape speed on a specific type of 24-track magnetic tape machine . . .

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:
Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surf Whammy

Postby Surf Whammy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:15 am

jjguitar wrote:I would like to see the T-RackS singles in the custom shop, so I can use them with the AmpliTube 3 suite.
It would be great if IK could make them compatible with AmpliTube 3.This would be the "all in one" solution 8-)

Another great idea! :)

If you think about it from a computer science perspective, the logical inference is to have a separate but universal framework similar to the AmpliTube and T-RackS frameworks, where the idea is to be able to create a custom rack that has only the components that you need for a particular instrument or vocal track . . .

When everything is 64-bits, it might not make a lot of difference, but in the 32-bit universe AmpliTube on the Mac is a "heavy" VST plug-in, although not so resource intensive as Panorama 5 (Wave Arts) . . .

I would like to have a vocal rack (perhaps called "V-RackS"), where I can select a set of VST plug-ins for vocal processing and then save it as an optimized preset or suite . . .

Currently, I do this in Digital Performer 7.24 by creating a chain of separate VST plug-ins, which works but requires me to adjust each component individually without being able to see everything unless I open all the components, which tends to fill the screen and is a bit awkward in terms of setting paramaters and so forth, which is one of the nice aspects of AmpliTube and T-RackS, where you work within a framework that has both a high-level and a detailed visual interface . . .

The new custom modules in AmpliTube suggest that IK Multimedia is moving toward a more tailored framework system, and I like the idea of packaging a set of VST plug-ins in a framework, which incidentally can include the ability to include VST plug-ins from other vendors . . .

Being able to include other VST plug-ins might be a bit much, but most DAW applications like Digital Performer (MOTU) do this, so there probably is a way to do it, especially since T-RackS already does it . . .

Surf Whammy

Postby krist » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:53 am

Surf Whammy wrote:
krist wrote:I would really love to see and hear IK's take on Tape Saturation. That's the one thing I can think of.

I like this idea! :)

I watched a video presentation by Eddie Kramer, who among other things produced The Jimi Hendrix Experience and some of the early KISS albums, and he mentioned using magnetic tape to get a "bump" in deep bass, which he continues to do along with all the digital stuff . . .

I understand the basic concept, and I think that it has great potential as a new VST plug-in, where as I recall it happens at 15 ips magnetic tape speed on a specific type of 24-track magnetic tape machine . . .

Yep. Incidentally, I just bought Nomad Factory's Magnetic, which does an amazing job at recreating all those cool analog tape characteristics - it was like instantly being taken back 15 years ago when I first tried it. That being said, IK most likely would have been my first choice if they had anything similar in the same price range. And should they ever come up w/ a tape sim, I'll buy it anyway, even if Magnetic does a good job. I just dig those IK plugs a lot.
La Crypte, home at last... - MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.8, Logic 9.1.8, Focusrite 2i4
krist

Postby Surf Whammy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:39 pm

krist wrote:Incidentally, I just bought Nomad Factory's Magnetic, which does an amazing job at recreating all those cool analog tape characteristics - it was like instantly being taken back 15 years ago when I first tried it.

Magnetic looks intriguing, as do the various BBE devices and the Analog Echo Box, and I will do some experiments with them . . .

At present, I am having a lot of FUN with Timeless 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments), which is a stellar advanced echo unit and definitely is an upcoming purchase, since the instrumental stuff is coming along nicely and I am shifting my focus to vocal processing, which in many respects is completely different from instrument processing . . .

As part of my focus on music notation, arranging, producing, mixing, and mastering, I am creating a "system" or "formula", where the overall goal is to develop an unique sound and set of well-defined and verified techniques for doing everything, which has been an ongoing project for the past few years . . .

Currently, it takes somewhere in the range of three months to do a song, but once the vocal processing aspect is defined, it will take less time, and the overall goal is to be able to do a song in a few days or a week, which should be possible . . .

Calibrating the loudspeaker monitors here in the sound isolation studio has made a huge difference, and it makes it possible to get the bass and drumkit stuff fine-tuned, especially since I discovered how to use CSR Classik Studio Reverb on snare drum rimshots . . .

I use approximately 10 stereo tracks for bass instruments and perhaps 20 stereo tracks for drumkits and Latin percussion instruments, and now that I can hear everything clearly it is becoming easier to identify the "system" or "formula" for these key instruments, and it also makes it easier to discover how to position specific instruments in definite locations in what I call the "Spherical Sonic Landscape™", where for example in "Feel Me" (The Surf Whammys) one of the kick drums appears at top-right during the verses, while one of the three snare drums is doing rimshots at far mid-left and there is a growling bowed contrabass section at far lower-left, which is easiest to hear when you listen with studio quality headphones like the SONY MDR-7506 (a personal favorite), which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: I need to add the backup harmony vocals and real lead guitar solos, but otherwise the song is complete . . . ]

"Feel Me" (The Surf Whammys) -- July 28, 2011 -- MP3 (8MB, 300-kbps [VBR], approximately 3 minutes and 38 seconds)

Fabulous!

It took me approximately nine month to discover how to do what I call "sparkles", which primarily are synthesizers that have notes which move rapidly across what I call the "rainbow panning arc" and activate the frontal eye fields (FEF) region of the brain, as well as the auditory cortex, of course . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. Being a popular artist might be interesting for a while, but considering that I am old enough to be Justin Bieber's grandfather, being a songwriter works just as well for me and probably is more practical in the grand scheme of everything . . .

Composing songs is no more difficult for me than writing prose, hence the focus on making sense of all the music notation, arranging, producing, mixing, and mastering stuff, which essentially is like formatting and typesetting a song and makes it easier for folks to hear everything, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
Surf Whammy

Postby integratron » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:03 pm

I would simply like to see it fit on my computer screen for now! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz! :roll:
Amplitube/SampleTank/Syntronik/TrackS/Steinberg UR22/Win 10 Pro/Dell XPS8700/intel i7 /TB HDD/8Gb RAM - J S Bach, the Einstein of music - Listen to D. Scarlatti and my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/
integratron

Postby Surf Whammy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:02 am

integratron wrote:I would simply like to see it fit on my computer screen for now! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz! :roll:

Yep! :)

I think this applies to everything, and it should not be difficult to do . . .

There have been discussions about different workaround strategies, and on the Mac there is an easy way to do it using some of the Universal Access features of Mac OS X, where the strategy is to configure Universal Access in a very specific way so that when you use a certain hot key combination, the display zooms to a larger but not too large size . . .

[NOTE: My reply in the following topic has detailed information on how to configure Universal Access on the Mac to do the zoom stuff, and it makes it considerably easier to see everything. Just remember that you need to set the Universal Access options very specifically, since you do not want to zoom everything all the time. If you mistakenly set the zoom for all the time to a huge multiplier, the mouse pointer will be as big as a banana, and it takes a while to uncheck the option, since everything on the screen is vastly magnified, so read the instructions very carefully. The first time I tried it the display was magnified so much that it took me about an hour to discover how to undo the zooming, but after a bit of reading and experimenting I discovered the correct way to be able to zoom a particular window to a usable size without zooming everything else, which is the key to the strategy . . . ]

Zoom-In Using Universal Access on the Mac (IK Multimedia FORUM)

There might be a way to do this in Windows, but all I can do is guess about how it works in Windows, really . . .

Really! :roll:
Surf Whammy

Postby integratron » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks for that info but I'm using Windows XP. :(
Amplitube/SampleTank/Syntronik/TrackS/Steinberg UR22/Win 10 Pro/Dell XPS8700/intel i7 /TB HDD/8Gb RAM - J S Bach, the Einstein of music - Listen to D. Scarlatti and my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/
integratron

Postby lukebredin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:25 pm

I would like to see the CSR being compatible with T-Racks!!

Plus it would be nice if the interface could be re-sized. The standalone T-Racks is fairly small on my screen.
T-Racks CS | ARC2 | AT3, Slash, Fender, Hedrix, Ampeg | ST2XL, Miroslav Philharmonic, Sonik Synth, Sample Moog | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 -16GB Ram | Mac OS X 10.9.1 | Logic Pro X | Certified Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
lukebredin

Postby etto » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 am

lukebredin wrote:I would like to see the CSR being compatible with T-Racks!!

even better if we could use non IK plugins in the T-racks shell but maybe not commercially smart :D

One thing I think is VERY important and I miss a lot not using a console anymore (maybe it's me not able to find it in the current version) is a MONO switch and why not a reverse L R switch. I often compare mono and stereo signals during mixing and mastering so I still use my DAW even if I like t-racks' shell interface.
miroslav, ampeg, fender, hendrix, metal, slash, sampletank 2L, sampletron, CSR reverb, T-Racks deluxe and variuos singles

http://soundcloud.com/edc-4
http://audiojungle.net/user/EdC_arts?ref=EdC_arts
https://itunes.apple.com/it/artist/edc/id431082220
etto

Postby integratron » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Still have not heard if T-RackS can detect and eliminate inter-sample peaks. (?) If it can not, an ISP meter to detect inter-sample peaks would be a welcome addition.
integratron

Postby integratron » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:14 am

Preset exchange system similar to the one available for AT3.
integratron

Postby lukebredin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:06 pm

+1 :D
T-Racks CS | ARC2 | AT3, Slash, Fender, Hedrix, Ampeg | ST2XL, Miroslav Philharmonic, Sonik Synth, Sample Moog | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 -16GB Ram | Mac OS X 10.9.1 | Logic Pro X | Certified Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
lukebredin

Postby etto » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:55 pm

integratron wrote:Still have not heard if T-RackS can detect and eliminate inter-sample peaks. (?) If it can not, an ISP meter to detect inter-sample peaks would be a welcome addition.

In brickwall limiter you'll find "D/A distortion protection" option. That should do the trick if used as the last processor in the chain ;)
miroslav, ampeg, fender, hendrix, metal, slash, sampletank 2L, sampletron, CSR reverb, T-Racks deluxe and variuos singles

http://soundcloud.com/edc-4
http://audiojungle.net/user/EdC_arts?ref=EdC_arts
https://itunes.apple.com/it/artist/edc/id431082220
etto

Postby lukebredin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 am

etto wrote:
integratron wrote:Still have not heard if T-RackS can detect and eliminate inter-sample peaks. (?) If it can not, an ISP meter to detect inter-sample peaks would be a welcome addition.

In brickwall limiter you'll find "D/A distortion protection" option. That should do the trick if used as the last processor in the chain ;)

Also in the T-Racks stand alone preferences too! The D/A distortion protection that is!
lukebredin

Postby yabino974 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Well, what I'd like to see, I'll say it again.

The ones noted (+) are the most wanted.

For MASTERING :
- a faithful Master Tape emulation (+)
- Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus (compressor)
- Thermionic Culture Vulture Mastering Plus (distortion) (+)
- Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor (compressor) (+)
- Lisson Grove R-124 (+)
- Fairman TMC (compressor)
- Fairman TMEQ (equalizer) (+)
- EAR 825 (equalizer)

For MIXING :
- Neve 1081 (equalizer) (+)
- API 550B (equalizer)
- Neve 33609 (compressor) (+)
- some all-in-one saturation plugin (tube, transistor, transformer, rectifier, OTA, op-amp)
- console emulation (summing, crosstalk)

This, with the enhanced version of the 76 and 2A, and I'll be set for years :D !
Last edited by yabino974 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samplitude Pro X4 15.0.2.141 x64 | VST2 x64 | Windows 7 x64 | Sample Rate 44.1 KHz
yabino974

PreviousNext

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox