Should I have installed T5? Totally confused

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Should I have installed T5? Totally confused

Postby jonny_franc » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:41 pm

I have what the full T-Racks package used to be called..Grand? I forget, lol.

I did not upgrade to the T5 package because I'm undecided. However I am confused as to why the T5 CS in my products page. Is it because I can take advantage of the T5 GUI with the T-Racks plugins I already own without having the paid upgrade or did I screw myself up installing it on my system?

IK always confuses me in my product area with 2 versions of what I think is supposed to be the same thing/installer.... my 'paid' version (T-Rack, SampleTank, Amplitube)..and the 'freebie' version (T-Rack CS, SampleTank CS, Amplitube CS).

Which brings me to my second confusion. Since I did install T5 CS anyhow, I now have 2 versions of T-Racks plugs in my components folder... my 'old' ones and now the T5 ones. What there heck am I supposed to do here? Would they conflict with each other? Should I stick with the T5 versions? Should I trash the 'old' versions? If I did and there's a problem can I trash T5 and get back my old ones??

I also use Automap. Both versions show up there as well.

BTW, what is the T5 Suite component? Its obviously not a plugin itself afaict, and there is no previous version of it

EDIT: Ah, ok, I opened Logic and opened some of the T5 version plugs of what I already own and they ask for authorization. So I was tricked into installing T5, lol.
In the trash they go! :D

Very weird. I get why a company would do such a thing as a sales ploy but it would lessen confusion if something like T5 or others only appear in your products page ONCE YOU ACTUALLY BUY IT. ;)
jonny_franc

Re: Should I have installed T5? Totally confused

Postby garfy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Ok, there's a fair bit to get through here but hopefully everything will be covered...

jonny_franc wrote:I have what the full T-Racks package used to be called..Grand? I forget, lol.

I did not upgrade to the T5 package because I'm undecided. However I am confused as to why the T5 CS in my products page. Is it because I can take advantage of the T5 GUI with the T-Racks plugins I already own without having the paid upgrade or did I screw myself up installing it on my system?

IK always confuses me in my product area with 2 versions of what I think is supposed to be the same thing/installer.... my 'paid' version (T-Rack, SampleTank, Amplitube)..and the 'freebie' version (T-Rack CS, SampleTank CS, Amplitube CS).

Although you haven't specified, I'm assuming your old version is version 4.

The free Custom Shop (CS) versions are available to anyone with an IK user account, irrespective of whether you have bought other products or not. And yes, if you own previous versions of specific T-Racks modules you should be able to open them in TR5CS. Quote from IKM product page "In T-RackS 5 CS, your pre-existing modules will be unlocked..."

jonny_franc wrote:Which brings me to my second confusion. Since I did install T5 CS anyhow, I now have 2 versions of T-Racks plugs in my components folder... my 'old' ones and now the T5 ones. What there heck am I supposed to do here? Would they conflict with each other? Should I stick with the T5 versions? Should I trash the 'old' versions? If I did and there's a problem can I trash T5 and get back my old ones??

TR5 is a completely separate install and there should be no conflicts. It is separate so that any previous DAW projects using TR4 plugins can still open and run, just the same if you have used the TR4 standalone for mastering. If you uninstall the old versions then your projects will have issues. If you felt inclined you could replace all your old versions with the same TR5 plugin, but that could be a long job if you have a lot of projects.

jonny_franc wrote:I also use Automap. Both versions show up there as well.

Automap will see TR5CS as a new plugin and wrap it accordingly.

jonny_franc wrote:BTW, what is the T5 Suite component? Its obviously not a plugin itself afaict, and there is no previous version of it

You can use it essentially as a plugin chainer in your DAW for T-Racks plugins and take advantage of its metering capabilities. The same is true of version 4 which shows up as "T-RackS CS"

jonny_franc wrote:EDIT: Ah, ok, I opened Logic and opened some of the T5 version plugs of what I already own and they ask for authorization. So I was tricked into installing T5, lol.
In the trash they go! :D

Had you actually authorised TR5CS with the number in your user account? Had you tried 'Restore My Gear' in the Custom Shop app?

jonny_franc wrote:Very weird. I get why a company would do such a thing as a sales ploy but it would lessen confusion if something like T5 or others only appear in your products page ONCE YOU ACTUALLY BUY IT. ;)

The whole TR5 suite is installed (for better or worse) to allow you to demo modules easily using the Custom Shop, the same as with AmpliTube. The easiest way to get around the 'only seeing what I own' in Logic is to use the Plugin Manager to stop the TR5 plugins you don't own from being loaded on startup. That way, you will only see the authorised ones in the plugins lists.

Hope that has cleared up your confusion.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby jonny_franc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:29 am

Thanks Garfy. :)

I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused. No, I didn't realize I should've tried doing an authorization on the T5 versions of my plugs.

Let me see if I got this straight. I have all my 'T4' plugs all happily humming along which is all fine and dandy.

Now T5 is the new 'shell' that I can use with all my T4 plugs. However, Installing T5 now gives me a T5 version of my plugs. But before I can use those T5 versions, I need to authorize or re-authorize, if you want to call it that, and they will work? But does that then de-authorize my old plugin set?

Assuming I can still use my older ones and I don't get any authorizationing grief, lol, I will now have the 2 versions of my plugs in my components folder...my older T4 and the new T5 versions.

And I also want to keep both versions, because any project that I used the older plugs will need the older ones in order to open in a project?

But any new project from now one I can just go ahead and use the T5 ones, correct?
jonny_franc

Postby garfy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:31 am

jonny_franc wrote:I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused. No, I didn't realize I should've tried doing an authorization on the T5 versions of my plugs.

Yeah, any IKM product (free or otherwise) needs the authorisation process to happen. Like I said before, you may need to also do a 'Restore My Gear' in the Custom Shop app but this should all be a fairly pain free process.

jonny_franc wrote:Let me see if I got this straight. I have all my 'T4' plugs all happily humming along which is all fine and dandy.

Now T5 is the new 'shell' that I can use with all my T4 plugs. However, Installing T5 now gives me a T5 version of my plugs. But before I can use those T5 versions, I need to authorize or re-authorize, if you want to call it that, and they will work? But does that then de-authorize my old plugin set?

Well, you are authorising TR5CS which will in-turn 'unlock' the TR5 versions of the TR4 plugins you currently own. TR5 has a new audio engine, GUI etc, so it is essentially a new piece of software. Your TR4 plugins are left untouched.

jonny_franc wrote:Assuming I can still use my older ones and I don't get any authorizationing grief, lol, I will now have the 2 versions of my plugs in my components folder...my older T4 and the new T5 versions.

Yep (and I also like the way you appear to have invented the word "authorizationing" :lol: )

jonny_franc wrote:And I also want to keep both versions, because any project that I used the older plugs will need the older ones in order to open in a project?

Yep.

jonny_franc wrote:But any new project from now one I can just go ahead and use the T5 ones, correct?

Yep.
garfy

Postby jonny_franc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Ah, great, that should all sort me out. Thanks a mil! :D

I gotta tell ya. When I first bought into IK heavy... T-Racks and Amplitube and all Amplitubes sold separately amp collections.. and went to my products page. I was assaulted with this huge list of stuff that would say they have updates available. I actually was downloading EACH one, till I realized they were all the same bloody updater! Lol.

Then I always get confused because I'll have a T-Racks and Amplitube updaters as well as the 'freebie' CS versions. Are they the same? Are their updaters the very same? I still don't know to this day. :o

I dunno. I just wish everything was cleaner and less cluttered. IK knows what I own and what amp collections I also have for example, with my Amplitube.
So instead of having the updates on the product page itself, just show me that an Amplitube or T-Racks product updater is now available on perhaps a separate 'product update is available' notification page or something.
Then that one alone is also going to take care of updating all the associated individual plugin components and collections I also own. ;)
jonny_franc

Postby garfy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Cool, glad that's hopefully sorted out the confusion.

jonny_franc wrote:Then I always get confused because I'll have a T-Racks and Amplitube updaters as well as the 'freebie' CS versions. Are they the same? Are their updaters the very same? I still don't know to this day.

AFAIK, as T-RackS and AmpliTube are based on modelling, the apps/updaters themselves are identical irrespective of what version you have paid for. They include all of the compressors/EQs etc (TR) or amps/cabs etc (AT) so you can demo products quickly (hence why they all show up in your Logic Plugin Manager), but the serial number/'Restore My Gear' is the important factor as that is the key that unlocks what you actually own.

The same with the core SampleTank and Syntronik apps, except the serial number will also be needed to unlock the additional content (presets and samples) dependent on what you've paid for.

As you, I do find it a little frustrating having to scroll through a lot of info in my User Area to check on updates, but as long as things are working properly I'm not overly worried about having the latest version, unless it has some new content or feature.

I did come across a thread somewhere on these forums, where someone suggested a central installer/updater, similar to other well known software houses, and PeterIK intimated that this was under discussion in the tech room. But then there are some detractors to these types of programs because it means installing another piece of software and yada yada. You can't please all the people all the time....
garfy

Postby jonny_franc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I always wondered if whatever updater or version there is, whether downloading and installing the CS one or the 'regular' one you paid for on your products page is the exact same thing.

I'm one who really hates it when I get stuff put on my system I haven't bought. When a company does that I go and trash the components. I don't like the clutter of having things show up in Automap or Logics plug manager that I don't own.

If I do ever want to try or buy something from IK, whether out of boredom or IK has a sale, lol, I'll simply launch Custom Shop, click on gear I don't own or whats on sale, and make a decision
jonny_franc

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox