Automating the Leslie [Resolved]

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Re: Automating the Leslie

Postby f.staal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:43 am

puranon wrote:AFAIK Leslie Cabinet setups are not normally tweaked during live performances or recordings.

AFAIK you still want to be able to switch between Fast and Slow. Without MIDI how would you do that?
Last edited by f.staal on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
f.staal

Postby dnr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:13 am

Actually this Leslie emulation is not actually an emulation because the most important thing about a Leslie is the real time control over the speed of rotation. It is the one thing that should be there from the off - I probably would not have bought it if I had know this would not work. It certainly was not made clear in all the advance publicity that there would be no real time control over the rotor speed. I would say that is the first revision that needs to be worked upon for the very next update. I cannot believe that IK would believe that anyone wanting a Leslie emulation would be happy with this state of affairs.

There is an cc automation window with all the parameters for using midi learn - but it obviously does not work. What is it's function?
Last edited by dnr on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnr

Postby puranon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:35 pm

f.staal wrote:
puranon wrote:AFAIK Leslie Cabinet setups are not normally tweaked during live performances or recordings.

AFAIK you still want to be able to switch between Fast and Slow. Without MIDI how would you do that?

I assumed the realtime fast-slow control was already there and probably hardwired to MIDI CC#1. Its a big enough deal for a 1.01 hotfix while they work on a common MIDI editor system for MODO Bass and Leslie.
puranon

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:55 pm

There may be a way, our Support Manager didn’know of it right away but the developers will send him more details on the MIDI control of speed. If there is a way already, we will elaborate ASAP.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby f.staal » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:01 am

puranon wrote:I assumed the realtime fast-slow control was already there and probably hardwired to MIDI CC#1. Its a big enough deal for a 1.01 hotfix while they work on a common MIDI editor system for MODO Bass and Leslie.

Could be. There is a window that I suspect is there to change the CC and it defaults to 1, but I want to be able to use a pedal as I tend to have to hands on the keyboard. And I want it to be a momentary pedal (while pressed fast and slow when not)
f.staal

Postby spitfire31 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:28 am

Sorry, puranon, your post just displays your apparently complete ignorance about how organ players interact with a Leslie cabinet, in recording, or live performance, or whatever.

In fact, the musically motivated shift between chorale and tremolo speed and, not least, the sensual interaction during speed up or slow down between the different acceleration characteristics of the horn rotor and the drum baffle respectively are HUGELY important, nay, VITAL ingredients of playing an organ with a Leslie cabinet.

In fact, you are also 'playing' the cabinet!

EDIT:
I've said it before that writing posts about perceived issues before thoroughly researching and testing them (and RTFM!) is a bad idea. Apparently I didn't listen to myself…

In fact, the IK Amplitube Leslie has a perfectly working MIDI assignment feature. I got it pointed out to me by Burillo at KVR and after trying it out, I can only say that I aplologise most humbly for writing b-s.

The Leslie not only sounds wonderful, it's also quite easy to assign, for instance, CC #64 in a latch mode to SLOW/FAST (once you know how to do it, that is).

So, apologies to Peter and the team – the IK Leslie is really the best one I've ever played (after the real life 147, that I sold many years ago).

The only thing I might miss, for nostalgic reasons perhaps, is the click of the solenoid and the wooosh of the spinning rotors.

Kind regards,

Joachim Smith
Last edited by spitfire31 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spitfire31

Postby spitfire31 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:31 am

dnr wrote:Actually this Leslie emulation is not actually an emulation because the most important thing about a Leslie is the real time control over the speed of rotation. It is the one thing that should be there from the off - I probably would not have bought it if I had know this would not work. It certainly was not made clear in all the advance publicity that there would be no real time control over the rotor speed. I would say that is the first revision that needs to be worked upon for the very next update. I can believe that IK would believe that anyone wanting a Leslie emulation would be happy with this state of affairs.

There is an cc automation window with all the parameters for using midi learn - but it obviously does not work. What is it's function?

YEAH!

Kind regards,

Joachim
spitfire31

Postby dnr » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Well I am certainly glad that others feel the same as I do. IK can only really claim that this is a true emulation of a Leslie cabinet if we can do with it (digitally at least) what we could with a real one. If you bought a car and could only change gears whilst stationary you would not be very happy.

Did the developers actually talk to players to see what they wanted? It seems unlikely that they would want a Leslie where they could only control the rotor speed after the fact in a DAW. How musical is that?

To be honest I think IK will have to sort this out.
dnr

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 pm

Please see my message above, there should be a way. I appreciate your patience. All will be sorted as soon as possible. If you want a direct technical response with details about this functionality and the confusion I'm reading about it, IK Support would be the best-equipped and most direct way to get updated.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby f.staal » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:52 pm

spitfire31 wrote:EDIT:
I've said it before that writing posts about perceived issues before thoroughly researching and testing them (and RTFM!) is a bad idea. Apparently I didn't listen to myself…

In fact, the IK Amplitube Leslie has a perfectly working MIDI assignment feature. I got it pointed out to me by Burillo at KVR and after trying it out, I can only say that I aplologise most humbly for writing b-s.
RTFM: where did you find the M? I haven't been able to find it here..

Can you link to the topic at KVR?

Thanks
f.staal

Postby spitfire31 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:38 pm

I downloaded the Amplitube 4 manual (including Leslie) from my account 'My products':
http://download.ikmultimedia.com/plugin ... d521bb64b2

KVR thread: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=499893

Kind regards,

Joachim
spitfire31

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:56 am

All IK software installers include and install the user manual for the product locally. If you are not aware of this and/or their location please consult the FAQ at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/2497

Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby spitfire31 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 am

As I noted in my edited message above, the perceived problem of remote controlling SLOW/FAST in Amplitube Leslie is, in fact, a non-issue.

I'm sorry if I stirred the confusion further with my initial upset posts, but at least on my system (Live 10, Mac OS 10.12.6) assigning SLOW/FAST to a momentary sustain pedal using CC #64 is straightforward and robust – once I was helped by a fellow KVR:er to find the proper routine for it.

So again, I apologise to Peter and the IK dev team – apparently they're not all engineers but also organ players… ;-)

But it would be a good idea if the manual was downloadable from a public page. Also, since not all organ players are engineers ;-), perhaps there could be a tutorial step-by-step video demonstrating how to connect SLOW/FAST to a MIDI CC.

Bottom line: IK Leslie sounds wonderful and is a joy to play.

Kind regards,

Joachim
spitfire31

Postby DarkStar » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:32 am

I'm glad that you've got the automation sorted out.

I agree that making the product manuals available to potential users would be a good marketing action. Of course, some people will never read the manuals, even when they have them available. But the manuals would cover a lot of details that cannot / should not be in the product descriptions. We don't always want to install a demo just to get the manual.

As for the specifics, the automation features are described in both the AmpliTube and T-RackS user manuals. Both, as plug-ins have 16 plug-in parameters, to which many of the knobs/sliders etc can be assigned. AmpliTube also supports assigning MIDI CC messages directly to parameters.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby dnr » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:32 pm

spitfire31 wrote:I'm sorry if I stirred the confusion further with my initial upset posts, but at least on my system (Live 10, Mac OS 10.12.6) assigning SLOW/FAST to a momentary sustain pedal using CC #64 is straightforward and robust – once I was helped by a fellow KVR:er to find the proper routine for it.

CC #64 you say! Presumably it is fairly straightforward?

Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps you could share the method. I wouldn't be so fast to let IK off the hook. This should have been made clear from the start with a separate manual for the Leslie, detailing amongst other things the automation issue and how to enact it. Given that many of us are not TRacks users.
dnr

PreviousNext

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox