Latency issue with T-RackS 5 Plugins

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

Latency issue with T-RackS 5 Plugins

Postby drapeta » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Today, I tested my new (buyed) T-Racks 5 Plugins in Nuendo 8 for mixing/mastering.
I've noticed a problem with all T-Racks 5 Plugins in my insert tracks, if I make parallel processing.

Then I made a test ...

Here my setup:
Track 1 with audio file, routet to nothing. Then I create two group tracks - gp1 and gp2. In track 1, I create two sends pre-fader. One send to gp1 and one send to gp2. Both group tracks go into mixbus. If I hit play and reverse the phase on gp1 or gp 2 ... silent.

Then I put a T-Racks 5 plugin on a gp1, switched the plugin in bypass mode and reverse phase on other group track gp2 ... no silent :roll:
Silent only, if I switch off the plugin(s).

Have tested this with other Plugins like Waves, UAD ... etc. Whenever I switch these Plugins in bypass and reverse the phase, silent. I think, T-Racks Plugins give the wrong latency value to DAW.

How did I come up with that?
Wanted to do Mid/Side Mastering with my new T-Racks 5 plugins in Nuendo. But whenever I made gp1 and gp2 on (with 3 T-Racks plugins in mid and two in side channel), I heard a strange sound ...

With this issue, T-Racks 5 plugins are not suitable for mixing and mastering.

Someone else have this noticed?

(sorry, english isn't my native language)
drapeta

Re: Latency issue with T-Tacks 5 Plugins

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:41 am

If you feel an IK product is reporting the wrong latency to your DAW, please report this to IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ and they will work directly with you to diagnose and resolve your issue. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby drapeta » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:18 am

Thanx, I have sent a mail to support + a gif with my test setup ...
drapeta

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:59 pm

I have tried the same test as you (1 audio file no output, routed pre-fade through 2 groups at the same level, 1 polarity inverted) and have found the same results - not full cancellation, UNTIL I have stopped and then restarted playback and cancellation then occurred. This happened with IKM plugins as well as other manufacturers.

I don’t know whether it is a host issue (details of mine are in sig), but I guess recalculation when dropping plugins in and out repeatedly may get a bit screwy at times.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby drapeta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Hey garfy,

thanx for testing.

In my DAW (Nuendo, latest version), only T-Tracks Plugins have this behavior and stop/start playback don't change it. All other Plugins are ok (Melda, Waves, Steinberg, free stuff...)

Same in WLab 9.5.
The first time, I put the Stealth Limiter in the end of my chain, then I hit bypass the chain, to compare the mix. I get the same level like no bypass, but another sound. This confused me. So I switch off the Plugins successively and found the Stealt Limiter as problem child.

Perhaps it's no a latency issue, bypass issue only maybe, but therefore, I don't trust the T-Racks Plugins at the moment. Hope, there come a update with a fix, because I like IKM Plugins. Have bought it, for replace my old UAD-1 card Plugins ...
drapeta

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:10 pm

Hopefully Support will be able to work out the issue with you.

Perhaps you should contact Steinberg Support as well, just so they can log a potential issue and maybe have some answers for you as well.

Good luck.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby machinated » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:34 pm

I'm having these issues with the Precision Compressor at 96kHz, it doesnt seem to be reporting latency correctly. It's quite disappointing to read forum posts from several years ago (some even as far back as when it was released, several versions of T Racks ago) and its still an issue.

Is there anything we can do to help accelerate this being fixed once and for all? I've contacted support several times over it, and it seems they are aware of the bug but there's little other information on whats happening about it.
machinated

Re: Latency issue with T-RackS 5 Plugins

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:15 pm

The previous posts were from 3 years ago, so the cause of the problem may you have run into not be the same.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chip in. But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

Meanwhile, the best thing to do is continue to work with Support and ask what will be dome and when.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know if you were able to resolve the problem. Please do not quote directly any correspondence from Support, as that may apply only to your particular circumstances and may lead others down the wrong track.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby machinated » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:28 pm

I messaged support initially about 6 weeks ago, with the response of "We are looking into issue with 88k and above now that may effect this."

I chased it up about 10 days ago with no response. Its frustrating because old threads like this show that even if its not the same cause, the same problems arent being sufficiently tested/resolved on newer versions. It could well be from various different causes, but it baffles me a little that updates can come out and it's still happening/not being noticed in beta testing and just being released anyway.

I'm curious if other users are having the same issues on their systems or if anyone has found any workarounds
machinated

Postby Naitsu » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:16 pm

In 2024 I still have this same bug/misbehavior.

My Pro Tools version is 2022.12

When bypassing using Pro Tools' own bypass function, Black 76 reported latency does not correspond to actual latency causing comb filtering in parallel processing. The reported latency in my session is 34 samples and actual latency goes to zero when bypassing. This can be heard during listening and also recorded on tracks.
Naitsu

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox