T-racks mastering and mixing tutorials?

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

T-racks mastering and mixing tutorials?

Postby dakfat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Hello, I just bought t-racks max for mixing and mastering. The music I compose is made of guitar and bass which I run through amplitube 4, vocals, and drums, courtesy of Toontrack's Superior Drummer.

I used to use ezmix for everything, but i had so many presets that It was probably taking as much time to find a preset, which isbasically a compromise, than actually mixing myself.

Are there any tutorials available for mixing and mastering rock with T-racks? What modules sound best on guitars, bass, drum bus, vocals?

Thanks!
dakfat

Re: T-racks mastering and mixing tutorials?

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:43 pm

A request for tutorial style videos (there are some for earlier versions / processors available on our YouTube channel but there should be more and more current created) has been relayed to the team.

In the mean time, there are also people like Groove3 that have great T-RackS and general mixing tutorials that may be helpful.

We're also co-sponsoring a remix/mixing/mastering contest with the folks that have some cool videos featuring T-RackS processors like these:

IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dakfat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:43 pm

The Groove 3 video is from 2010 and only covers mastering. A more in depth video for mixing and mastering featuring the new modules would be cool. I always prefer watching videos that feature the tools I am using as opposed to watching a general tutorial on eq and compression.

I ordered the owsinski book, hopefully itshould help cover some ground :)
dakfat

Postby beeflin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 pm

Groove3 now have a T-Racks 5 tutorial course at https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Worki ... -T-RackS-5
--
"Reality is anything you can get away with"
beeflin

Postby jimmyjames75 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Be sure to use reference tracks as well. Find a song or album that has the sound you are going for. Import it to your DAW (With no plugins on it) and compare.

Select a group of plugins from Tracks and study up on them. Find what the Pultec does and how it does it.
Knowing how each plugin works and the typical sounds yoh Can get from them will take you a long way.

Rick Beato has some great videos. He is a old skool pro and covers a lot of different stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOmX3JHwtE

Dave Pensado is another old skool pro as well. He and Rick are my favorite channels. Dave does some Tracks videos as well. And even has the creator on a podcast too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLFC57 ... bHItEwzmss
Last edited by jimmyjames75 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jimmyjames75

Postby dakfat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks guys !

I got that Groove3 video, gr8 stuff
dakfat

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Oh yes, Eli is one of the best around at tutorial videos. Groove 3 rocks in general too!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dakfat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 pm

I think a mixing in the box using T-Racks 5 course would be cool, followed by a mastering in the box using T-Racks. Essentially, a couple of courses where someone takes the tracks of a song and mixes them, then masters the song, explaining the tweaks that they make and why they selected a particular module, using nothing but T-racks plugins.
dakfat

Postby jimmyjames75 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 pm

triggerthehorizon wrote:I think a mixing in the box using T-Racks 5 course would be cool, followed by a mastering in the box using T-Racks. Essentially, a couple of courses where someone takes the tracks of a song and mixes them, then masters the song, explaining the tweaks that they make and why they selected a particular module, using nothing but T-racks plugins.

That would be pretty cool. I can't imagine that being free though. That would be a production.
jimmyjames75

Postby dakfat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:38 pm

I would not mind paying 30$ per course, average fee of a Groove 3 video.
Similar courses exist for the stock plugins in Studio One. I know some people will say a compressor is a compressor, if you learn how compressors work you can apply that knowledge to any plug, but it's always interesting to me to see how professionals use the tools I have at my disposal
dakfat

Postby jimmyjames75 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:53 pm

I agree. I like to see guys use the same tools i have. But i also believe that knowing how conrpession works is just asinportant as well. I think we need to know both. That video i posted from Rick is the best compression video i have ever seen. But i would also love to see him do just a Tracks compression video as well.
jimmyjames75

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox