How to uninstall Mixbox on Mac?

Discussion about MixBox and T-RackS

How to uninstall Mixbox on Mac?

Postby sliznut » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:07 pm

I can't for the life of me find a way to uninstall this app. I had the trial but didn't need it. Everything I see online keeps saying to download the installer from the site and there is an uninstaller in there but there is not. The only thing you can download from the site is the product manager and that doesn't show any way to uninstall.
sliznut

Re: How to uninstall Mixbox on Mac?

Postby garfy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:33 am

Hi sliznut

1) Go to the main IKM site, click the Support menu tab and then click User Area.
2) Sign in and go to My Products.
3) Locate MixBox in your products list, click Past releases.
4) Download the latest installer and, once downloaded, unzip it.

You'll find the Uninstaller package in there.

Let us know how you get on.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:31 pm

@ garfy,

For info: doesn't the original install, done by the iKPM, install an uninstaller too? (Windows does :))
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby sliznut » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:19 pm

I've seen this said before too. The problem here is that trials do not show up in My Products on the website. So if you install a trial there seems to be no real way to uninstall it on a Mac.

To add to that, even if it DID show up there, the download links just download the IK Product Manager, which doesn't do any good since it doesn't have an uninstall option.
sliznut

Postby garfy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:21 pm

@DarkStar

I don't think it 'installs' an uninstaller. If you don't delete the download package after the IKPM has done the install operation, then in theory it's still in whatever folder your downloads go to.
garfy

Postby sliznut » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:23 pm

garfy wrote:@DarkStar

I don't think it 'installs' an uninstaller. If you don't delete the download package after the IKPM has done the install operation, then in theory it's still in whatever folder your downloads go to.

No. Either I'm insane or you're missing the point. On Mac it only installs the IK Product Manager. From there you can download/install your apps. But there is no uninstall option and no uninstaller or installer in any folder.
sliznut

Postby garfy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:30 pm

sliznut wrote:The problem here is that trials do not show up in My Products on the website. So if you install a trial there seems to be no real way to uninstall it on a Mac.

Ah, yeah. Good point. I've not had to do a trial like this so I have no experience there.

I can't see anything in the FAQs so I would suggest you open a ticket with official IK Support. They endeavour to reply within 2 working days, but obviously considering the current situation things may take longer than usual.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the issues, but without directly quoting any correspondence from official support.
garfy

Postby garfy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:34 pm

sliznut wrote:No. Either I'm insane or you're missing the point. On Mac it only installs the IK Product Manager. From there you can download/install your apps. But there is no uninstall option and no uninstaller or installer in any folder.

I think we're just all talking at crossed-purposes. In general on a Mac, the IKPM does download a package in the background before installing and then asks you if you want to delete the package after installation. This may be different if you are installing a trial package such as MixBox.
garfy

Postby sliznut » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:37 pm

garfy wrote:
sliznut wrote:No. Either I'm insane or you're missing the point. On Mac it only installs the IK Product Manager. From there you can download/install your apps. But there is no uninstall option and no uninstaller or installer in any folder.

I think we're just all talking at crossed-purposes. In general on a Mac, the IKPM does download a package in the background before installing and then asks you if you want to delete the package after installation. This may be different if you are installing a trial package such as MixBox.

Which is the problem. I tried reinstalling it from the IK Product Manager to see if it would give me an uninstall option but it doesn't. So the only way to remove it I can see is to pick through everywhere anything went and delete files, which is kind of a pain. I would think IK would have a straightforward way to remove apps on a Mac.
sliznut

Postby garfy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:38 pm

sliznut wrote:I would think IK would have a straightforward way to remove apps on a Mac.

Again, we're at crossed-purposes. They do have a straightforward way to remove apps - there is an uninstaller included in the downloadable installer package.

The difference here (maybe) is that you have a trial app. Like I said, I have no experience with an app trial, just versions that will appear in the User Area. Maybe someone will chime in with more concrete information, otherwise a ticket to IK Support is your best bet.

sliznut wrote:I tried reinstalling it from the IK Product Manager to see if it would give me an uninstall option but it doesn't.

Does the IKPM not download the installer to your designated Downloads folder first?
garfy

Postby sliznut » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:59 am

It doesn't seem to. I'm going to put in a ticket because now I have 2 different trials I can't get rid of.
sliznut

Postby sliznut » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:37 pm

Update for anyone interested. Apparently IK has no way to appropriately uninstall trials from a Mac. They said you have to locate and delete all associated files. I'm kind of skeptical of the reply because I'm certain there are other places app files exist considering they show up in the Applications folders, not just these Library plugin folders. I put in a support ticket and got this:

So, in order to remove individual modules that you may not want you will need to do the following.
1 Open Finder > Mac > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
2 Open Finder > Mac > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
3 Open Finder > Mac > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST3
4 Within each of these folders just delete the modules you'd like to remove and delete them from each folder.
Once this is done, the selected will be removed.
sliznut

Return to Mixing & Mastering with T-RackS and MixBox